Answered

My great Vinyl dilemma: the line in source level Bug and sonos lack of response

• 6 December 2019
  • 83 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

83 replies

Jgatie, if you don’t think a digital volume algorithm reduces fidelity, then you don’t know much about digital. I’ve got an Auralic streamer downstairs, and the company says generally leave the digital volume control on 100%. Use the amps volume. For this very reason. If you don’t believe me, run a source in the line in. Play it at level 10. The go to level 1 and quick turn up the master volume. Then tell me they sound the same. I don’t think so.  

It’s not digital at that point, that is the analog input level.

Badge +2

So...we are far off the subject already. This is why I don’t like utilizing these forums.
Simply put, has anyone else using the line in observed this bug, and are you bothered by it?

Badge +2

Ratty, that’s a good read. Yes there are many reasons why a record could sound better or worse than a cd. I did over generalize. Nonetheless that’s not the point of this discussion. But thanks for the link. Very inf

Badge +2

Ok Ryan S, appreciate that response. Had a similar discussion with Robert C.  today as well, after posting this. Still, he said this may take MONTHS to fix. 

Badge +2

Jgatie, if you don’t think a digital volume algorithm reduces fidelity, then you don’t know much about digital. I’ve got an Auralic streamer downstairs, and the company says generally leave the digital volume control on 100%. Use the amps volume. For this very reason. If you don’t believe me, run a source in the line in. Play it at level 10. The go to level 1 and quick turn up the master volume. Then tell me they sound the same. I don’t think so.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hey Tlcocks, I just checked in for you with the team on that ticket and the status. It is still being investigated and worked on. I know it’s frustrating not having an ETA or not knowing what the exact status is, but those things can change and we don’t want to give an ETA that isn’t definite. The right team is on it, but they have other things on their plate as well. The support team will make sure to let you know when it’s resolved, but they can’t keep you updated with every change that the ticket goes through.

my turntable has always had better than cd fidelity

Er … no.

https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Myths_(Vinyl)

Are you talking about the Line-In level?  If so, there is nothing about that level which “loses fidelity”.  The higher level may distort because it is overloading the amps in the Play:5, but lowering the level to where it doesn’t distort does nothing to the fidelity except lowering the gain.  You may be perceiving a loss of fidelity because the mind will always think lower volume is lower fidelity (even if the changes are so small they are not detected), but the mind is easily fooled.