Update News

Sonos version 10.6.2 brings Line-in delay settings

• 22 January 2020
  • 15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Community Manager
  • 12272 replies

Sonos version 10.6.2 is available today with some new settings to improve performance while playing audio from Sonos input connections. There are two new settings, Group Audio Delay and Audio Delay

The Group Audio Delay will add a delay between incoming TV audio and Sonos. This will reduce the chance of audio issues occuring when your Sonos products are playing the TV audio as part of a group. 

The Audio Delay setting determines the speed it takes to start playing a Line-In connection on Sonos. This is the delay on your line-in source. It has a minimum setting of 75 ms, which is the same as the previous delay that we had with the Uncompressed line-in setting. Increasing the delay adds an extra buffer to playback and gives an allowance and tolerance. This will reduce the chance for audio issues occurring when your Sonos products are grouped and playing line-in audio.

These options range from low latency which is synced closely to the source and is good for video when you can see it, but it comes with a higher risk of audio dropouts when playing to a group. Alternatively, high latency is not good for audio and video sync, but dramatically reduces the risk of audio dropouts when playing to a group of speakers.

15 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Thank you hopefully this will remove my occasional dropout when listening to line-in sources.

See you can make useful changes.

Badge +2

Sonos version 10.6.2 is available today with some new settings to improve performance while playing audio from Sonos input connections. There are two new settings, Group Audio Delay and Audio Delay.

I have two gen 2 Play 5’s connected by line-in to my tv as my prime TV audio source. The in-line setting is currently set to Uncompressed and I don’t have any lip synch problems. I control them from my windows 10 pc and Android 6.0.1 phone (can’t upgrade further). Will any further delays be introduced if I upgrade my Sonos to 10.6.2 and if so will my controllers have the settings available to adjust them? eg compressed/uncompressed, Group Audio Delay and Audio Delay.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Is this update only available for the iPhone and Android devices? I noticed that the SONOS app on my Windows computer is still at 10.6.1 and when checking for updates it indicates that none are available.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Sonos version 10.6.2 is available today with some new settings to improve performance while playing audio from Sonos input connections. There are two new settings, Group Audio Delay and Audio Delay.

I have two gen 2 Play 5’s connected by line-in to my tv as my prime TV audio source. The in-line setting is currently set to Uncompressed and I don’t have any lip synch problems. I control them from my windows 10 pc and Android 6.0.1 phone (can’t upgrade further). Will any further delays be introduced if I upgrade my Sonos to 10.6.2 and if so will my controllers have the settings available to adjust them? eg compressed/uncompressed, Group Audio Delay and Audio Delay.

This update adds the ability to increase the delay as needed to help add an extra buffer, it’s all optional and isn’t adding an extra delay to the lowest latency that wasn’t there before. Nothing will change regarding your delay on the Play:5s if you update to this build, but you’ll have some options now if you need them.

Is this update only available for the iPhone and Android devices? I noticed that the SONOS app on my Windows computer is still at 10.6.1 and when checking for updates it indicates that none are available.

That’s correct, players stay on the 10.6.1 version number.

The Group Audio Delay will add a delay between incoming TV audio and Sonos. This will reduce the chance of audio issues occuring when your Sonos products are playing the TV audio as part of a group. 

What is considered ‘line in’ for this feature?  Are the optical/hdmi-arc connections considered line-in?  Are the RCA inputs considered lined in?  For the Sonos Amp, which has both input types, can you set each on separately?  Maybe more appropriately, are these settings at the system level or the room level?

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

You’re correct on both of those, melvimbe. 

The TV input is anything coming through optical or HDMI and the line-in connection is anything on the analog RCA. 

These settings are found under the connection they affect. So you’ll find Group Audio Delay under the TV settings and Audio Delay is under Line-in settings.

For the Amp, which has both, each setting operates only for the connection it’s specific to.

You’re correct on both of those, melvimbe. 

The TV input is anything coming through optical or HDMI and the line-in connection is anything on the analog RCA. 

These settings are found under the connection they affect. So you’ll find Group Audio Delay under the TV settings and Audio Delay is under Line-in settings.

For the Amp, which has both, each setting operates only for the connection it’s specific to.

Ok, a follow up  question then.  On the ‘group audio delay’, does this mean that it’s now possible to play TV audio in sync across a group?  For example, a TV is connected to a playbar  which is group with a Sonos One.  In normal, no group audio delay, the playbar will play in sync with the TV video and the Sonos One would be slightly behind.  Turning on group audio delay,  will the playbar be out of sync with the TV video, but the playbar + sonos one group play in sync?

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

No, it doesn’t help with the sync. Using the Grouped Audio Delay will add a delay to the audio of grouped speakers. This adds the option to increase the delay for speakers grouped with the TV speaker. Adding the delay creates an increased buffer and will help prevent cutouts with the higher quality audio streams that comes from TV audio sources. 

@Ryan S : From how the menu system for this delay selection is organised, it would seem that each zone in the system can have a different delay selected - unlike the selection for compressed/uncompressed/automatic which is applied at a system level. Correct?

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

@Ryan S : From how the menu system for this delay selection is organised, it would seem that each zone in the system can have a different delay selected - unlike the selection for compressed/uncompressed/automatic which is applied at a system level. Correct?

That’s correct. It’s per device.

Excellent, my always single zone 1 pair was seeing stuttering from the wireless source - Line in jacks on a Connect in the same room. Changing the delay to max for that Connect seems to have fixed that.

And since the system level setting remains uncompressed, the other ethernet wired zones that have a TV fed Connect will still have lip sync between the TV and Sonos sound in any or all of those zones in a group.

Is there any way to set group audio delay to 0 ms? I play the drums and found a way to use the beam as my speaker, but the 75 ms delay is very annoying. How can I bypass this delay?

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Is there any way to set group audio delay to 0 ms? I play the drums and found a way to use the beam as my speaker, but the 75 ms delay is very annoying. How can I bypass this delay?

As Scotty tells Kirk, “ya canna’ defy the laws of physics captain”

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Is there any way to disable the timeout on line-in? When used as a PC speaker I often miss audio when someone talks in a meeting after a period of silence sufficient to cause the Play:5 to sleep.

I *think* if you turn off auto play, it disables the timeout...but I’m not 100% sure, and have never tried to test.