Question

A huge step backward--what are you guys thinking?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

280 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I've tweeted them too. Such incompetance it is truely unbelievable.
If 39 out of 64 topics have not been migrated, it doesn't speak well of the migration quality. That standard would not be acceptable inside Sonos if it happened while changing or upgrading email platforms.

I suspect we will hear more of this from others as well, and since this isn't a service we are paying for, we don't have much recourse.
Brand New Day! First time in weeks that the first log in has seen zero spam! Fingers crossed that something effective has finally been done, but I will reserve kudos.
Speaking of SPAM, I just received that Survey SPAM again.
Brand New Day! First time in weeks that the first log in has seen zero spam! Fingers crossed that something effective has finally been done, but I will reserve kudos.

Wishful thinking, I'm afraid. They must have just done a manual cleanup when you checked, because there's plenty of new spam right now. 😞
Was that so? I have just logged on and no spam in sight again, so I thought I will say Bravo, with a slight reservation about it perhaps being premature! I did not see any through the course of my yesterday either.
And here we have another thread where post links are starting to break. Click on chicks' link top right of his post and the post displays correctly. Click on Kumar's link directly above this post and you get
Page not found
The page you are looking for may have been removed, is temporarily unavailable, or has had its name changed.

This platform appears to be rotting.

The reason it breaks is that Kumar's link redirects to https://en.community.sonos.com/new-community-feedback-229090/a-huge-step-backward-what-are-you-guys-thinking-6730677/index12.html#post16060969 and it's not actually on page 12. The pagination is wrong.
Userlevel 2
Badge +7
Hello,

Is there an equivalent to the New Posts in the old Forum which would list all posts/threads updated across all topics.... I used this every time I visited.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The last 2 e-mail notifications I got for this thread I tried to open on my iPad and got a Page Not Found error.

Get the same on my PC via IE. As ratty says the link supplied in the mail is incorrect:-

https://en.community.sonos.com/new-community-feedback-229090/a-huge-step-backward-what-are-you-guys-thinking-6730677/index12.html#post16061004

Page index is incorrect
Well, at least there's only one spam post at the moment, so maybe InSided has finally done something. Sad that they have to break links to fix spam, just highlights the immaturity of their software.
[quote=Kumar]
Thank you, I found the topics thing, though I am quite sure I have started a lot more threads than the 25 shown over there.

The number next to topics shows 64, but when I click it, it goes to a page with 25 topics. What am I doing wrong?

Are you using the mobile platform version?
All 62(! :)) of your threads are linked in the pc based version.
So it appears to be a bug or limitation on the mobile version (?)
I am disappointed to see even one spam post - because more can easily follow.

Till now today, it looked to be a closed chapter, but no...
62 threads are now visible, see my post above to this effect - and I just noticed that posts aren't numbered!
Four spam posts now, and the link in Ratty''s post now points, incorrectly, to your newest post. ROFL.
Ok, and I have just noticed that the mobile version pauses after 20 or so threads, but another scroll-up action fetches more. ie. no page 1|2|3 button indication like there is on the PC version.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
I'm finding the new site buggy and all over the place and really frustrated that on the iPad it loads the full site version when it should really have been a responsive layout - was this site built by programmers and not web designers. The mobile site isn't good either and again really frustrated - I don't sit at my PC/Mac all day like some and 99.9% of my time on the sonos community would be on my iPhone 6+ but now I feel I can't use the new site on my iPhone or iPad and it will limit me as to when I participate here.

I did wonder when I knew of the new community how well the mobile versions would work and as an ex web developer (not programmer) I understand and know that user experience is number one for users - yes functionality is key but if the layout and look and feel of the site is poor then users will get frustrated and leave. Also sitting at your PC/Mac is antiquated (unless that's part of your job) and most of my browsing is done via mobile devices - really I could sell my iMac for the amount of time I spend on it.

Yes I know that the new community will take a while to settle down and for the team to iron out the bugs but I just think they haven't thought about the demographic of user who visit this site on PC/Mac compared to Mobile device.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hey guys, I know this is a hot topic, but let's try to keep the spam discussion in the spam thread. We're working on it and have recently implemented a number of things to help with this, some more effective than others. And there are more to come. We'll be updating that thread shortly too.
And, in my opinion, the current trend for lots of white space in layouts wastes a bunch of real estate and my time.
Yes. There is a lot of wasted space vertically, with over large fonts in the heading lines, and the decision not to include the tool bar functions into the site heading bar.

But even worse is all the wasted horizontal space. They are barely using 50% of the width of my screen.
Lots of scrolling and page response delays.
Oops. Didn't see Ryan's post because the email alert didn't take me to the right place lol. Never mind.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Ok, it is early days but I a few things I have noticed in no particular order:-
I have been on the Sonos forum since 2007 but now I am a "Novice"!
Where has the unsupported area gone?
How do I see New Post since my last visit?
Quick note - the spiritual successor to the 'unsupported area' is the 'advanced setups' forum, where that content has been migrated to:

https://en.community.sonos.com/advanced-setups-229000

I can see other stuff in there which was very definitely not 'unsupported'. Could you please share the mappings you used for all the old forums?
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
[quote=Rbalwinski clicked "New Posts" and read through topics of interest[/quote]

Ok, I found under activity, Activity since last visit. It works good enough for me. Now just lose all this white space.
What functions do you feel are missing most that you'd like to see on the community here? I see you've added a few things to the Wish List thread. Let us know what you're missing, we'll see what can be added and what can't. Some features that can't be added now may be available in the future too, so please let us know.

For me, I came in daily to the forums, clicked "New Posts" and read through topics of interest. I learned a lot that way or could occasionally help others. And That way I could quickly just stay up to date on the forums. Is there something comparable here?

Also all this white space, and then the design trap that sites think is right (white is clean), so you give us a page with white, grey, and lighter gray. check out http://contrastrebellion.com/

My 2 cents.

Ditto here. Also missing an Advanced Search feature.

Though I will admit these and other peeves may already be solved and I'm just not aware of them.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Still finding my way around but getting to see the new posts since my last visit is much harder now, why as the "new post" button been removed? When I do get the new posts up they do not seem to say when their thread was started only when the last post was made. I am missing this functionality!

Also - No preview?
Badge
Night Mode Eye Guard makes it easier on the eyes. I'm sure that alternatives exist for Chrome and Safari. Unfortunately the website still shows up white for half a second after a refresh.

The amount of white really doesn't work when viewing at night. Would be great to have an option to reverse the colours as a user setting, like some other forums allow.

For those on iOS devices, one potential solution (not ideal) is to use the accessibility mode and set it up with the home button (3 clicks to change mode). Works reasonably well. Might be something similar available for Android devices.