Answered

Unable to play X - and the song is not encoded correctly

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

101 replies

The way I interpret that is the issue is on YouTube’s end, and the Sonos engineers, while helping the YouTube engineers, don’t know exactly when YouTube will release a fix to the YouTube Music servers. 

i have the problem with itunes where i downloaded cds to my library - clouded music will play but the music that was downloaded from cd to itunes errors - support could not help 

When were they downloaded? Have you tried deleting the downloaded files, and getting fresh copies from Apple?

There seems to be an issue with SONOS streaming. I see there has been postings on this forum that are similar symptoms as I am experiencing. Music stops and "the song is not encoded correctly" is displayed on the SONOS app for Windows. Then next song starts to play after several seconds. SONOS Controller for PC Version 13.4.1. Speakers used and displaying this issue are wired ethernet so no WiFi issues.

Diagnostics sent: Your confirmation number is: 1173691071.

Badge

This is exactly my experience in terms of the issue..in practical terms my Sonos runs on WiFi.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

This morning I added some podcast from Spotify to Albums in the Sonos app and none of them will play. They all give this [not coded correctly] message. When played straight from the Spotify app everything works fine. Other Spotify tracks also play fine too so somehow it's only the podcasts.

I added them by playing one from Spotify, then ooen the Sonos app and add them to Albums. I do it this way because i can't search for podcast in the Sonos app, it never gives me any results.

Badge

I have to say...my patience is running out with Sonos. 

I’ll add my data point. My music is all local -- I occasionally will listen to a SXM channel, but mostly my library is ALAC or FLAC files that I ripped from CDs. The library resides on my iMac.

Things were working fine for the past two years or so. I have two sets of stereo pairs, each pair a One connected via ethernet and a One SL connected via WiFi. Each room has a WiFi access point so the One SLs are no more than 10ft from the router.

At first it happed fairly rarely and I just assumed I had a bad fine. Once it started happing more frequently, I’ve gone back and played the files on my Mac with iTunes or VLC and they play fine, so I don’t believe it is an encoding issue.

I haven’t done the phone support -- I guess I will do that but I’ve spent too much of my life on hold to some support/customer service line to look forward to that.

Hello! Thank you for the advice.

Unfortunately it didn't help much... 

Over the last few days I've tried most of the solutions mentioned in "reduce wireless interference". I've changed the Wi-Fi channel of my router, tried it out, then next day changed the channel of my speaker, etc. Also, I've tried to move things around in my flat and I've disconnected some Wi-Fi-using devices that were close to the speaker. But, as I live in a small apartment the middle of Paris, there is a lot of Wi-Fi networks around and a lot of connected devices close by, and there will only be more. So in the end I've just connected the speaker with an Ethernet cable to my router.

(BTW I've been regularly rebooting both the speaker and the router during all this).

The results are a bit underwhelming... At some points (e.g. after connecting the Ethernet cable) it was working better for some time (I don't know if this was just random or some strange real effect), so I thought that the problem was solved, but after a while it got back to the old behavior:

Could you please provide other options for dealing with this issue? 

BTW, how is it possible to have "wireless interface" when my speaker is now wired (Ethernet cable)?... 

Here are 2 new diagnostic numbers:

Thanks in advance :) 

Aaand the same error occurred yesterday with YouTube Music. Tried all the workarounds listed here.  No change. Sad.

Same "encoding error" on almost all my Amazon playlists. I think it has to do with Amazon introducing HD, but why are people seeing the issue on YouTube? I don't know, but all my playlists are ruined!

The way I interpret that is the issue is on YouTube’s end, and the Sonos engineers, while helping the YouTube engineers, don’t know exactly when YouTube will release a fix to the YouTube Music servers. 

Actually the Sonos Support person told me that they didn't know if the technical responsability was on Sonos' side or YouTube’s side.

That seems odd, since the Sonos player software is the same across all streaming services. I’d think if there was any particular issue with the Sonos side, it would manifest itself across other streams as well. But the Sonos support person would have better information than I. I can only assume they were trying not to throw a partner under ‘the bus’, or I’m completely wrong. 

BTW I've tried using 3 other music sources and only YouTube Music has this problem... 

Maybe it's the YouTube side that "caused" the problem (there was the migration from Google Music to YouTube Music in the last few months) maybe it's Sonos (the new version of the Sonos app was rolled out in the last few months), maybe it's both, difficult to say... 😐 

Badge

Sama encoding issue with apple music, amazon and spotify. So annoying. This just started happening to me 2 months ago. I did a wireless refresh and still same encoding and random so g skip issue.

What did Sonos say, after you submitted a diagnostic, and you contacted them?

Badge

I get this with the BBC 1XTRA shows.  I can play the shows fine with the separate BBC Sounds app, but not with Sonos.  The workaround is to play the sound to my Sonos Roam speaker with Bluetooth and then use the Sonos app to play the show on both the Roam and my Play:1 speaker. 

My CD collection ripped to a PC used to play absolutely fine and now about half are listed as “not encoded properly” whilst they still play fine on the PC Media player.  Other tracks ripped on the same device/software play absolutely fine.

To blame Spotify or any other provider is not acceptable and Sonos should be looking at this issue.  It’s clearly been a problem for a while and still has not been resolved.

I’ve had the same exact issue over the last day or so with Amazon Music. Based on our recent posts, there must have been an issue either with Amazon introducing HD (like eworthi said), or with some other software update. However, I just unplugged my Sonos bridge, unplugged and restarted my router, and then plugged Sonos back in, and so far (fingers crossed) it seems to now be working.

Good luck!

same problem for free sonos radio, it seems Sonos internal problem. 

I’m curious to know what Sonos said about your issue, after supplying them a diagnostic and calling in?

Having this similar issue in the past 10 days.  

Local files are playing fine, but my vast music library sits in Subsonic & now is saying all files are not encoded correctly.  All Files...MP3, M4a, FLAC…..Nothing is playing through my Subsonic library.

The same folder accessed locally is fine.  

Very weird & frustrating.  Any suggestions????

Same issue here - like the hell.  Spent way too much on these 10+ speakers for it not to work.  Have zero problems with any other devices - always Sonos over the past year.  

Sonos has always had a published list of file types it can read, as noted in the supported audio formats FAQ. Sonos has never been able to read all music formats. in most cases, the responsibility lies with the streaming company to provide files that match these requirements, one of the reasons that most streaming companies have separate end points for Sonos to reach out to. But in the case of local files, it’s unfortunate that you weren’t able to test before giving away your collection. 

If I were to guess, when you ripped these files, you likely chose a bit rate that was higher than Sonos can read. Many people assume higher is better, but that is not always the case. 

I have this issue with Apple Music. It’s got nothing to do with “YouTube’s Engineers”. It’s only certain songs. It’s clearly a Sonos issue for them to fix.

There seems to be an issue with SONOS streaming. I see there has been postings on this forum that are similar symptoms as I am experiencing. Music stops and "the song is not encoded correctly" is displayed on the SONOS app for Windows. Then next song starts to play after several seconds. SONOS Controller for PC Version 13.4.1. Speakers used and displaying this issue are wired ethernet so no WiFi issues.

Diagnostics sent: Your confirmation number is: 1173691071.

My issue was only with one speaker, a SONOS Five. If I unplugged my SONOS Five and PING that assigned IP address I was still getting a response! My issue was due to an IP address conflict. I solved the issue by logging into my router and finding the conflicting device on my local network. Once I forced the other device to use a different unassigned IP address the streaming problem with my SONOS Five went away. Hope this helps, you problem may be similar to mine.

Same problem îm running out of patience with Sonos product