Skip to main content
Answered

Unable to load content

The servers appear to be down tonight. Is anyone else having issues?  Updated the app on my iPhone earlier today and went to play music tonight. But every content section on the homepage says “Unable to load content” and where the graphics are supposed to be for services, favorites, stations, etc. are all black boxes with black lines scrolling across.  Thought it was the update but checked on my iPad without the update and same issue.  Was only able to play music in the room where music had been playing previously by pressing the play button.  None of the other rooms had content queued up so can’t select from any sources. Sonos seems to be having a lot of issues of late. 

86 replies

Badge

App partially working. No Sonos Favourites. Recently Played has greyed out items. This issue is NOT resolved however. 

Badge

Content is back — unseemly rejoicing at 2:30 am. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

I had the same issue when I woke up at about 05:00 UTC. Just checked again (06:50 UTC) and now seems to be back working for me.

In addition to not being able to access web content from the home screen, I also wasn’t able to access my music library from the home screen. I also noticed this issue on a previous occasion when I deliberately disconnected internet at home router to test what works and what doesn’t work without internet. Its annoying I can’t access local library during periods of internet connectivity issues (including when the issue appears to be with Sonos servers). To any Sonos staff reading this: please remove the dependence the home screen music library link appears to cloud-based servers. I’m on Android in case there is an Android vs iOS difference here (I think there might be as I have seen an iOS user say they can access local library when internet is down). 

Same problem here in Australia. SONOS can be very tedious to use. Being an architect I've had to let quite a few clients know the shortcomings with the system before considering. When it works it’s great, but it’s very frustrating how often it doesn’t.

It’s working on my Mac, just not the iOS devices.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

The servers appear to be down tonight. Is anyone else having issues?  Updated the app on my iPhone earlier today and went to play music tonight. But every content section on the homepage says “Unable to load content” and where the graphics are supposed to be for services, favorites, stations, etc. are all black boxes with black lines scrolling across.  Thought it was the update but checked on my iPad without the update and same issue.  Was only able to play music in the room where music had been playing previously by pressing the play button.  None of the other rooms had content queued up so can’t select from any sources. Sonos seems to be having a lot of issues of late. 

THEN about 3:15 am mountain daylight time, all the sonos speakers white lights start flashing white and orange as the system apparently reset! Woke me up. This am all is restored.

Just the saddest fiasco of product development and rollout I’ve ever witnessed.

Ever since the “big app upgrade” last month my system has been whacked. I have Sonos throughout my home, in 3 different rooms. After the app upgrade my auto switch from TV sound to music service sound hasn’t worked well, often taking 10-15 minutes to switch - It’s annoying.

Even if I’m careful to turn my TV input off before asking Sonos to play music, it still stalls on TV sound and won’t switch, causing me to have to sit and wait for it.

Are others experiencing this? 

Userlevel 1

Mine was back this morning. My bet is that there will be no acknowledgement of this outage at all, much less any follow-up or explanation.

Mine is working too, except Sonos favorites is still greyed out.

Userlevel 1

And, yep, all back to normal. Just keep trash reviewing and maybe they’ll get their * together. Go back and change or post reviews in the App Store.

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Has anyone tried to contact Sonos by phone?

I just bought my first pair of Era 100s last night and spent a couple hours trying to get them connected to my network and showing up in the Sonos app (I’m on an android, I’m probably not Sonos’ demographic I guess) and once I finally got them in there I was never able to get a music service connected, it would always just display a 500 error trying to retrieve the music services. For the price it’s crazy how bad their software is, I was so stoked to have these. Now they’re back in the box heading back to Costco today

I just bought my first pair of Era 100s last night and spent a couple hours trying to get them connected to my network and showing up in the Sonos app (I’m on an android, I’m probably not Sonos’ demographic I guess) and once I finally got them in there I was never able to get a music service connected, it would always just display a 500 error trying to retrieve the music services. For the price it’s crazy how bad their software is, I was so stoked to have these. Now they’re back in the box heading back to Costco today

Funny enough, after seeing all the comments made today about the app suddenly working I decided to give it another shot and was able to get fully set up and spotify connected within minutes. Guess they fixed it. But I'll be keeping the receipt on stand by...

It is currently happening to me when I try to use YouTube music

YouTube Music still down for me on the android app. I can play Amazon music through Alexa controls, but nothing is loading on the app. What a mess.

Badge +1

Not sure if this is part of the same problem but….My Era 300 is connected to Sonos via wifi and I use Apple Music for my content. I can access AM just fine and get lists of albums and playlists up as expected. This morning it was all working as it should (although a tad slow). This afternoon the content of the albums or playlists was not available (although visible sometimes but not always) via the Sonos App - it just hung there for a while instead of playing. The dreaded “something went wrong” message followed. If I accessed the same music directly via AM and air played the music all was well.

As an addition, I just tried the app again and it would not access AM at all yet AM could still play via air play.  I tried again and  all was well. This is horrific.

Sonos CEO Patrick Spence commented, “We are pleased to report first quarter revenue of $612.9 million and Adjusted EBITDA of $115.2 million. Despite the challenging environment, we are winning in the market and outperforming the competition.”

Mr. Spence continued, “We are just months away from announcing our highly anticipated new product in a multi-billion dollar category, which will be the first major milestone of our multi-year product cycle. Our full attention is dedicated to successfully executing on our plan and positioning our business to return to top and bottom line growth. Great things are happening here at Sonos and the best is yet to come.”

Well, ... I think this CEO just lost touch with reality, and with his real customers.

Not sure if this is part of the same problem but….My Era 300 is connected to Sonos via wifi and I use Apple Music for my content. I can access AM just fine and get lists of albums and playlists up as expected. This morning it was all working as it should (although a tad slow). This afternoon the content of the albums or playlists was not available (although visible sometimes but not always) via the Sonos App - it just hung there for a while instead of playing. The dreaded “something went wrong” message followed. If I accessed the same music directly via AM and air played the music all was well.

As an addition, I just tried the app again and it would not access AM at all yet AM could still play via air play.  I tried again and  all was well. This is horrific.

I experienced exactly the same scenario today ... 

Glad it’s not just me.  Unable to play any music or get any speakers to work.  Does anyone have any updates?  Tried to call Sonos and over an hour wait.  

Badge +1

Mine has been fine over the last 24 hours. 

I am experiencing this same issue on June 30 2024.  Unable to load content for YouTube Music, Sirius, Sonos Radio, or TuneIn Radio.   

I have not been able to access my You Tube Music library since Sonos released the new “upgraded” app.    

The Sonos app is a debacle.  

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

I was able to load a playlist from Apple Music, but the music started and stopped 3 times with the “Unable to load content” error.  After the third startup all was well.  Not sure why it takes so long to load a playlist and why the app jumps the gun with the “Unable to load content” error then successfully loads it???

No answer yet from Sonos, sad

You called in?

Count me in. Always showing Unable to load content in the app. And then when trying to search it always show the Check Service Status. But when you check the status, all services are shown green and working. Can you fix your app Sonos? I don’t expect these types of issues from a brand like this, but eversince the app updates, geez...

Hi All,

In addition to many other issue, now experiencing the “Unable to load content” message on iPhone. Have read through every Sonos thread and Reddit posting and tried most of the recommendations, to no avail.

In Australia, according to the Australian Consumer Competition Commission (ACCC), it’s legal breach “If businesses can't supply a product or service that a consumer has paid for (which all adds up….. ), on time or within a reasonable time, then the business must provide a solution.” I’ll do a little more research and try a few more options. If a technical fix can’t be supplied then some legal incentives might be required. It might be a mosquito in the middle of the night approach, but it can be irritating.