TuneIn no longer supported, custom urls no more?

• 21 December 2022
  • 36 replies

Show first post

36 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @controlav et al,

I’ve come across some more information that I’d like to share with you all:

• Customers who already have manually added stations will have these stations automatically migrated to My Sonos as favourites, so they will not be lost or become unavailable.
  • The new TuneIn container for the Sonos app will not have the ability to add manual stations, but the TuneIn app will, and any added there will automatically migrate to the (new) Sonos TuneIn container, if logged into the same account.

The latter feature is not yet currently not working but it is our intention to work together with TuneIn to bring this feature in as soon as possible.

For now, you can of course still use the “old” TuneIn container in the Sonos app.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 1

I contacted TuneIn and they basically said the My Stations feature will not be added to the “new” TuneIn, so I assume I will be losing all of the custom URLs I created over the years.

Additionally, while I can add a custom url to TuneIn using their PC desktop app, for some reason, the full  “library” (ie the list of all of my favorited stations) I created using the desktop app, does not show up in the favorites section of legacy or “new” TuneIn apps inside Sonos. Even though I’ve logged into TuneIn inside Sonos with the same credentials, I get a different and shorter favorites list in the Sonos version of both TuneIn apps (legacy and new) versus the list I see while using my PC, Android, iOS versions of TuneIn. 

Unless this is a bug, it leaves me to conclude that TuneIn doesn’t pass through the library of favorites (including any custom urls) to Sonos. So, the suggestion above to add custom URLs to the desktop version of TuneIn doesn’t work for me. It doesn’t pass into Sonos. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Just a thought. If you would use a TuneIn account, could you not ad a radiostation through their app, even when you do not use the premium version? Would this added station then be carried over to Sonos?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Since Sonos says the options a provider like TuneIn provides are largely up to them, maybe contact TuenIn and let them know this feature is highly regarded by Sonos users?

Since Sonos Radio (Free) relies on streams provided by TuneIn, maybe Sonos can provide this feature? We’ll see when TuneIn (old) stops.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I will be mad if these custom URLs aren’t automatically saved somewhere, since Sonos directed users to add our own streams via this method for years! https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/add-an-internet-radio-station-to-sonos

My iOS app (see profile) will let you export your custom radio station urls to a file as a backup.

Userlevel 1

I’m concerned about this too. I spent a lot of time adding many custom URLS over the years, including lots of higher bitrate streams from my paid subscription service Digitally Imported (eg. the owners of RadioTunes, JazzRadio, ROCKRADIO, etc), to the “My Radio Stations” section of TuneIn.
Now, when I open up the legacy TuneIn service in Sonos, there is a message that this legacy service will eventually go away, and be replaced with the “new” TuneIn service.

It reads: “Is TuneIn going away? No, TuneIn is simply launching a new service and the current one will be removed from the Sonos app soon.” It doesn’t say how soon the legacy TuneIn service will be removed.

Since the “new” TuneIn service currently has no similar  “My Radio Stations” feature/section (that I can see), are they just going to pull the plug on this feature permanently, and therefore, will all of the custom URLs I created simply disappear?

I will be mad if these custom URLs aren’t automatically saved somewhere, since Sonos directed users to add our own streams via this method for years! https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/add-an-internet-radio-station-to-sonos

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @PhilJonesDev 

I’m told that you will be able to continue using the original TuneIn service, if you so wish.

Please note that it is not Sonos that maintains each service integration, so we cannot comment on how long each will last.

I hope this helps.

Hi @Corry P

I understand you can’t comment on future updates.

I can see currently there are 2 x TuneIn options available on SONOS music services called ‘TuneIn’ and ‘TuneIn (New)’ on the latest app.

Are you able to comment on the likeliness that the old TuneIn service will be kept available for a while Is that down to TuneIn?

Does SONOS try to keep legacy software available as long as possible?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Oneandonlymort & @controlav 

That’s a fair point. I was just relaying the current, official answer, which admittedly seems a bit out of date.

I’m working on getting a better answer for you, but TuneIn is definitely still supported in the time being.

Hi @controlav 

Thanks for your post!

Unfortunately, we cannot comment on future updates.

@controlav wasn't asking about future updates, this update has already happened. The custom URL ability has been removed, and so the question is more about an official comment regarding its removal.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @controlav 

Thanks for your post!

Unfortunately, we cannot comment on future updates.