TuneIn no longer supported, custom urls no more?

• 21 December 2022
  • 34 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I see that in the Add Services dialog, TuneIn is listed as “no longer supported” (on mobile, Desktop doesn’t include the summary text). We are supposed to use “TuneIn (New)”, which requires a TuneIn account to work.

Looks like this means we cannot add custom URLs any more once TuneIn (classic?) is removed?

Support, can we get an official statement on this please?

34 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

I added a custom url in the TUNEIN app and its in their General Folder (you can not specify which folder to save) and added it to Favorites … and yet when I go into SONOS … and open the TUNEIN APP and look … hardly anything that shows relates to my account (and i have logged out and back in on SONOS)  no folders show up not even general… its a mess. 

I delete TUNEIN NEEW and added back the old TUNE IN but of course the custom url is not in MY RADIO STATIONS because the doesnt exist in the new TI… what a mess.  (NOT SONOS fault .. but honestly the reason i dont use TI is the mess its website and app is… its one of the most frustrating apps to use and the website is just as bad.

I contacted TuneIn and they basically said the My Stations feature will not be added to the “new” TuneIn, so I assume I will be losing all of the custom URLs I created over the years.

Additionally, while I can add a custom url to TuneIn using their PC desktop app, for some reason, the full  “library” (ie the list of all of my favorited stations) I created using the desktop app, does not show up in the favorites section of legacy or “new” TuneIn apps inside Sonos. Even though I’ve logged into TuneIn inside Sonos with the same credentials, I get a different and shorter favorites list in the Sonos version of both TuneIn apps (legacy and new) versus the list I see while using my PC, Android, iOS versions of TuneIn. 

Unless this is a bug, it leaves me to conclude that TuneIn doesn’t pass through the library of favorites (including any custom urls) to Sonos. So, the suggestion above to add custom URLs to the desktop version of TuneIn doesn’t work for me. It doesn’t pass into Sonos. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @twobbs1 

TuneIn membership is free - you can sign in with your Google or Facebook account, much like many other websites. The Premium version of TuneIn, which is available at a cost, is for gaining access to certain restricted stations - mainly sports and news stations, it looks like, as you will see if you go to the Premium section of their homepage: https://tunein.com/radio/premium/

So, using the TuneIn app and the new TuneIn service to manually add custom radio stations to Sonos (once it is fully implemented) will not cost a penny.

I hope this helps.

Badge

I agree that Custom URLs were a piece of basic Sonos functionality from the beginning.  No point in arguing whether they were initially provided by the base system or by the TuneIn app.  In the early days, I don’t remember any clear distinction between those things.  The key point is that the base system has the capability of both storing and playing such URLs.  The UI that allows them to be created by the user is a small detail.

The funds I am referring to are those I would have to pay to join TuneIn in the absence of Custom URLs.  In my case, TuneIn’s only value-add would be to offer up a target URL that I already know, and could have added myself via a custom URL.  And if I joined, I doubt that any of my TuneIn membership dues would make it back to the service sourcing that URL.

Sonos might have a business interest in seeing subscription TuneIn supplant free streaming.  I have no idea whether this is true,  but given that Sonos offers “Sonos Radio” which seems to be based on TuneIn, it’s clear that the business relationship between Sonos and TuneIn is complex.

My interpretation is: Custom URLs are a function that Sonos provides, and for whatever reason, put it originally under the TuneIn integration. Your second paragraph both denies, and suggests this. 

What ‘funds’ do you speak of in your third paragraph? If you’re setting up a custom URL to a radio station, there is no TuneIn involved, so there wouldn’t be any payments, unless you choose to send the station money on your own to support their ability to maintain an internet accessible stream. 

I’m not sure what motivation there would be to remove this functionality.  

Badge

From reading the upstream comments, I conclude the following.  Please tell me if I am wrong.

Custom URLs were a feature of an older version of TuneIn, but are no longer a feature of the most recent version.  The old TuneIn is unsupported and may be phased out at a later date.  However, the ability to store and play URLs is native Sonos functionality.  The old TuneIn app was only a convenient way to provide a UI to this functionality.  It could be provided by the Sonos control panel or by another app.

Custom URLs provide one of the last (if not the last) way to play Internet radio on a Sonos without a paid account.  And it is far from clear whether any funds paid to TuneIn (or similar) make it back to the content source (e.g., the public radio station or the like) in any meaningful way.  TuneIn is a directory service/aggregator after all, not a content provider.

It is unclear whether Sonos has the financial motivation to provide custom URLs, and quite possible that it has motivations to the contrary.

Ted Wobber
Ascoli Piceno, IT

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Vladimir_G 

TuneIn recently restructured how they do things, so there are two versions of the TuneIn service available for Sonos. They are clearly marked as old and new. In time, the new version will support manually adding station URLs via the TuneIn app, but as far as I am aware, does not yet.

I hope this helps.

Badge

Hi @Vladimir_G 

Yes - you need to install the (unsupported) legacy version of TuneIn to do so.

What is unsupported version? Is it old version one Tunein?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Vladimir_G 

Yes - you need to install the (unsupported) legacy version of TuneIn to do so. I just verified this still works mere moments ago.

I hope this helps.

Badge

I'm planning to buy a Sonos speaker. I would like to know if it is possible to add my own custom radios url at the moment of December 2023? Thanks!

So is there any clarity yet about our ability to continue adding custom URLs in one way or another once these changes to TuneIn come into effect? My custom URLs are saved in my ‘Favourites’ as ‘TuneIn’ stations, even though they have nothing to do with TuneIn.

Maintaining the existing URLs is one thing, but certain stations change their details over time, and – sometimes one even discovers a new station so needing to add new feeds is crucial.

It would be great to have a native feature in SONOS to do this… without any app or subscription. This is actually a key feature for many people who were sold the ability to listen to internet radio.

You would think the logical next step would be for Sonos to add custom URL stream input to their own APP rather than leaning on 3rd parties to do it for them.

Does seem very odd?.

Maybe down to not being able to monetize custom URLs..

Always the suspicion that Sonos is unable to monetize this, or monetize that. I suggest you read back through the thread.

The custom URLs have no TuneIn involvement at all. They’re stored directly in the system. The old TuneIn menu was merely a convenient place to put the UI at the time. If one adds a URL, favorites it into My Sonos, then removes the TuneIn service entirely the URL will continue to work fine.

Hopefully Sonos will find a new menu location for custom URLs. I only retain (old) TuneIn for this purpose as UK laws so unhelpfully block it from listing anything interesting. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

You would think the logical next step would be for Sonos to add custom URL stream input to their own APP rather than leaning on 3rd parties to do it for them.

Does seem very odd?.

Maybe down to not being able to monetize custom URLs..

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Curious if any updates on this or anyone has found a work-around?  My fav thing to listen to is a custom internet station and it sucks I can no longer use my SONOS system to stream this.

Sorry what is the issue for you right now? Are you lacking TuneIn (Classic) on your system?

Badge

Curious if any updates on this or anyone has found a work-around?  My fav thing to listen to is a custom internet station and it sucks I can no longer use my SONOS system to stream this.

@controlav 

thanks for this

I must add when I wrote

is there a cost to publishing an app on TuneIn?

i actually meant app on Sonos not on TuneIn 

@Airgetlam comment is where I was aiming at  

so the TuneIn app is just a convenient way of storing a book mark to the stream, it should be in the Sonos app not a third party app.

kinda looks like Sonos wrote the original TuneIn app and now TuneIn are doing their own without some features  

realistically Sonos should add the custom streams to their app then  

would make more sense overall.

The other question:

Sonos doesn’t pay for access, nor receives payment from anyone (minor caveat is Sonos HD radio, I think), based on looking at their financial reports. Anyone can request being part of the Sonos ecosystem, there are instructions at the Sonos partners page.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Are there any other apps that permit custom streams?

how about radio.net or Plex?

Custom streams are actually nothing to do with TuneIn:

• When you add a custom stream in the Sonos app it is stored in the Sonos database, same as your Favorites, Sonos playlists, local library data etc.
  • When you play one from within the TuneIn section of the browsing experience, the url is extracted from the database and sent to the group coordinator (speaker) to play.

TuneIn themselves have nothing to do with it, despite how the UX is presented right now.

Are there any other apps that permit custom streams?

how about radio.net or Plex?

Hi @controlav et al,

I’ve come across some more information that I’d like to share with you all:

• Customers who already have manually added stations will have these stations automatically migrated to My Sonos as favourites, so they will not be lost or become unavailable.
  • The new TuneIn container for the Sonos app will not have the ability to add manual stations, but the TuneIn app will, and any added there will automatically migrate to the (new) Sonos TuneIn container, if logged into the same account.

The latter feature is not yet currently not working but it is our intention to work together with TuneIn to bring this feature in as soon as possible.

For now, you can of course still use the “old” TuneIn container in the Sonos app.

I hope this helps.

This makes me immensely happy as I've some new speakers under the trial and they'd have been going straight back if they'd removed the custom URL streams! 

Great to hear that Sonos knows that this problem exists. I can also confirm that the added custom URLs in the TuneIn iOS App are not synced with „TuneIn New“ Sonos app. 

I use this feature extensively for hq radio streams from DI Radio and for streaming sound from my turntable via custom radio station running on a raspberry. So please don’t remove the old TuneIn app before you somehow re-integrated that feature into TuneIn Sonos integration. TuneIn support didn’t give eny feedback if they are even working on it btw.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Gemstone035 See the above message by a Sonos employee that this “feature is (…] currently not working but it is our intention to work together with TuneIn to bring this feature in as soon as possible.”

I tried adding a custom url to my favorites via the TuneIn app, but I can't. I use the free version. Is it that? Or am I doing something else wrong? I can play the custom url, but that's the only thing.

Userlevel 1

I made a mistake saying I was able to add a custom URL using the TuneIn website on my PC. That feature isn’t available there. 

However, the TuneIn Pro app on my IPhone currently does allow adding custom URL’s from the Library tab.

But, the list of favorites in my Library in the Tunein Pro app on my iPhone doesn’t currently sync with the list of favorites on the “new” Sonos Tunein app. The favorites list in the Sonos “new” Tunein app is much shorter and is missing many of my favorites even though I’m logged into the same account as my Tunein iOS account. 

Hopefully that’s simply because the “syncing between the Sonos TuneIn service and other devices with TuneIn accounts” feature hasn’t been enabled yet.

It is great to hear that Sonos plans to migrates the list of saved favorites, including custom URLs, to the “My Sonos” tab. In doing so, will Sonos concurrently increase the number of available “slots” in My Sonos (which is currently limited to a fixed number) to accommodate this migration?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @controlav et al,

I’ve come across some more information that I’d like to share with you all:

• Customers who already have manually added stations will have these stations automatically migrated to My Sonos as favourites, so they will not be lost or become unavailable.
  • The new TuneIn container for the Sonos app will not have the ability to add manual stations, but the TuneIn app will, and any added there will automatically migrate to the (new) Sonos TuneIn container, if logged into the same account.

The latter feature is not yet currently not working but it is our intention to work together with TuneIn to bring this feature in as soon as possible.

For now, you can of course still use the “old” TuneIn container in the Sonos app.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 1

I contacted TuneIn and they basically said the My Stations feature will not be added to the “new” TuneIn, so I assume I will be losing all of the custom URLs I created over the years.

Additionally, while I can add a custom url to TuneIn using their PC desktop app, for some reason, the full  “library” (ie the list of all of my favorited stations) I created using the desktop app, does not show up in the favorites section of legacy or “new” TuneIn apps inside Sonos. Even though I’ve logged into TuneIn inside Sonos with the same credentials, I get a different and shorter favorites list in the Sonos version of both TuneIn apps (legacy and new) versus the list I see while using my PC, Android, iOS versions of TuneIn. 

Unless this is a bug, it leaves me to conclude that TuneIn doesn’t pass through the library of favorites (including any custom urls) to Sonos. So, the suggestion above to add custom URLs to the desktop version of TuneIn doesn’t work for me. It doesn’t pass into Sonos.