Answered

Spotify album artwork is distorted

• 15 October 2022
  • 64 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

64 replies

I’m a firm believer in a company responds more quickly to a complaint from a paying customer, than they would from a company like Sonos, who has no financial relationship with them.

That’s tempered, of course, by the fact that Sonos represents a whole swath of customers, so it’s a crap shoot. But were it me, I’d be reporting to both companies, just as a normal thing. 

Is it even worth reporting to Spotify and then going back and forth with them? I assume they know and will fix it. 

From your earlier post…

"I opened a ticket with Sonos. They said if the problem is not on their end they will forward the issue to Spotify”. 

Hopefully the message will get passed along.🤞

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

This is Spotify’s screwup. They changed their SMAPI presentation map, and removed the ArtworkSizeMap which is how apps find higher resolution versions, so the default low-res art is used.

For the curious the process is described here: https://developer.sonos.com/build/content-service-add-features/add-images/add-album-art/

Is it even worth reporting to Spotify and then going back and forth with them? I assume they know and will fix it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

This is Spotify’s screwup. They changed their SMAPI presentation map, and removed the ArtworkSizeMap which is how apps find higher resolution versions, so the default low-res art is used.

For the curious the process is described here: https://developer.sonos.com/build/content-service-add-features/add-images/add-album-art/

Same here. Noticed it on Saturday.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Just adding my “same here” to the list of people getting affected by this. ..

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I noticed now that all Spotify images in my playlists are pixelated. When I browse/search in Spotify it fixes the pixelated album I am viewing for that moment, but everything goes back to pixelated once I close and reopen the Sonos app. All my other music services are unaffected. I really feel this is a Spotify issue. There has to be some cache somewhere that is saving these images so they load faster but I’ve cleared everything I can find and I’ve deleted and reinstalled Sonos and Spotify.

Yup same issue here, made ticket and reported to sonos. 

I assume you mean on the ‘now playing’ screen .. the art thumbnails refresh as I shuffle the queue - again the uploaded .gif quality (attached) is poor, but hopefully you can see it refreshing and here’s a sample single screenshot from the iPad App (I’ve had to reduce its size to get it uploaded here)  …

Badge +1

Thanks Ken.

What happens when you are playing music on Sonos App and press Shuffle?This is when I have an issue.

Probably different for you as you use Amazon….

You get the sense that the Sonos App should have a refresh button…..maybe automated in their algorithms? This may refresh the album artwork?

The attached .gif is poor quality as the upload size to the forum here is limited to 5mb, but I find on each of the tab/displays in the Sonos App on iOS, the artwork often refreshes as I either open/scroll the tab/screens - in fact I find it a nuisance in some instances, but at least it’s fairly quick to load. (I mostly use Amazon Music).

Badge +1

You get the sense that the Sonos App should have a refresh button…..maybe automated in their algorithms? This may refresh the album artwork?

Thanks Ken. I don’t think so. 

For me, I only have this issue with Spotify via the Sonos App.

All the the other services. eg Apple Music, Tidal etc. are fine.

Yes, which seems to then infer it’s a Spotify service issue, I guess… time will tell, hopefully.

That certainly suggests the image being served by the Spotify Server to the Sonos system has been changed by Spotify in some way. They do use different servers to feed Sonos than they do to serve their own app. 

Badge +1

Thanks Ken. I don’t think so. 

For me, I only have this issue with Spotify via the Sonos App.

All the the other services. eg Apple Music, Tidal etc. are fine.

It gets weirder…

I had the pixelated artwork problem playing a Spotify playlist I’ve played many times.

So I cleared the cache by resetting and closing the iPhone sonos S1 app.

I then went to Amazon music within the Sonos source list and the artwork loaded fine, made a coffee and came back and now it’s pixelated, even the tracks that initially loaded fine.

So looks like a Sonos issue not a Spotify issue…

I wonder if the artwork delivered, is based on point to point network connection latency 🤔? - Anyhow the matter has been reported by @a9979, so hopefully it will get to the right people to look into the matter. 

It gets weirder…

I had the pixelated artwork problem playing a Spotify playlist I’ve played many times.

So I cleared the cache by resetting and closing the iPhone sonos S1 app.

I then went to Amazon music within the Sonos source list and the artwork loaded fine, made a coffee and came back and now it’s pixelated, even the tracks that initially loaded fine.

So looks like a Sonos issue not a Spotify issue…

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I contacted Spotify support and basically they have no clue. They said to wait it out and it might be fixed with the next app update, but they don’t know. I recommend anyone else having this issue to also contact both Sonos and Spotify. 

Badge

Add me to the list. And when I play a track from my local library on my NAS I get NO artwork at all - even though it appears in the search dialog. 

Brent

Different issue - check the tracks metadata for the embedded artwork, or the folder for the correct artwork/resolution which is mentioned here: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/543

I also have the Spotify issue as noted by the OP.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

My case is still open but I was just told they did everything they can via the chat and now I have to call them on Monday for further “advanced troubleshooting.”

Anyone at Sonos reading this? 🙂

Probably not, it’s weekend and coverage is mostly weekdays in the user community here, but there are Support Staff who respond at the LINK provided earlier.

Add me to the list. And when I play a track from my local library on my NAS I get NO artwork at all - even though it appears in the search dialog. 

Brent

Different issue - check the tracks metadata for the embedded artwork, or the folder for the correct artwork/resolution which is mentioned here: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/543

Badge

After several minutes the artwork has appeared. There’s a bug lurking…

Running S2 v14.16 build 69133120.

Brent

Badge +1

Anyone at Sonos reading this? 🙂

Badge +1

Would think it is in the interests of Sonos to take this up Spotify too, as it materially affects the usability of the Sonos App.

Just a thought 🙃🙂