Song Not Encoded Correctly

• 26 March 2016
  • 87 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

87 replies

Hello @TC1,

Thank you for reaching out to the Sonos Community with your diagnostic report.

Are either or your two Sonos Connect:Amps close enough to your primary Google WiFi node to hard-wire with an Ethernet cable?

It looks like your players are struggling to communicate to the network in general and I’d like to see if wiring directly changes anything about the playback behavior on your system. 

If you are unable to wire one of your Connect: Amps for testing purposes, can you provide general information about where these units are located and how far from the router they are situated? Approximate range as well as proximity to other pieces of electronic or audio equipment could help us resolve this issue. Please follow up with a diagnostic report confirmation number from your app if you are able to test Amazon Music with the player connected via Ethernet.       

Thanks for the reply, Jean, and they’re approximately 25’ direct sight to main router, though they are running through a Google Wifi system.  They are too far from the main Google router (as they’re hard-wired through wall to speakers).  I placed one of the Google ports closer and tried a variety of different things by connecting one of the amps through the ethernet port.  Accuradio played the entire time, but Amazon Music never worked.  I also have this close to a tv, and remembered that I have an Amazon Firestick there, so unplugged it, thinking maybe it was causing interference (and the Amazon connection).  Accuradio is currently playing, no problems.  Amazon, still nothing.

Variety of diagnostic codes ran through this series, most recent first:

Thanks for the prompt reply!

TC

Hi @RyanP73,

Welcome to the Sonos community and thak you for reaching out about this issue.

Can you submit a diagnostic report from your app so that we can evaluate your Sonos system for interference?

If you post the confirmation number I will be more than happy to look it over for you. 

Hi Jean. 

Here is my diagnostic number: 2119384964

thanks!

Ryan

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Thanks for all the help and advice so far Jean.  Yes I have 3 APs and they are on channels 1,6,11 by design, so you say I should switch all to the same channel?  I can, however it not ideal as you know for wifi design/coverage/throughput.

My main router is a Mikrotik 951G-2HnD which has a wifi AP on chan 1, it is downstairs and should be what the kitchen connects to.

I have AP/switch upstairs which is a Mikrotik 941-2nD which is connected via ethernet to the router downstairs,  It is running on chan 6, and the Beam is ethernet connected to this.

I have a 3rd AP which is mostly used for outdoor devices, and it a Cisco AIR-AP1142N-E-K9 running on chan 11.

Let me know if you need any additional info on any of them.

I will try playback with kitchen directly connected and report back, and then do the same on wifi with the other APs shutdown.

No worries at all on the tests, I appreciate your assistance!

Thanks. I was adding it from TuneIn, and Sonos was playing it via Alexa, but I kept getting the message when tapping on it via iPhone or iMac. This morning I’ve looked at two versions within My Radio Stations and one of them is working now. Not sure how but I’ve deleted the offender and all seems good. Cheers!

Hello @TC1,

Thank you for reaching out to the Sonos Community with your diagnostic report.

Are either or your two Sonos Connect:Amps close enough to your primary Google WiFi node to hard-wire with an Ethernet cable?

It looks like your players are struggling to communicate to the network in general and I’d like to see if wiring directly changes anything about the playback behavior on your system. 

If you are unable to wire one of your Connect: Amps for testing purposes, can you provide general information about where these units are located and how far from the router they are situated? Approximate range as well as proximity to other pieces of electronic or audio equipment could help us resolve this issue. Please follow up with a diagnostic report confirmation number from your app if you are able to test Amazon Music with the player connected via Ethernet.       

Any thoughts?

My Sonos is suddenly unable to play music from Alexa/Amazon music. It starts streaming part of a song, then cuts out after a second or so. Later on, it might play a second from the same song, or try moving to the next one. It tells me the music is not encoded correctly, even though I have been streaming Amazon music for years...

Diagnostic information sent: 2140827513.
Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Ok, @TC1,

I am safe and well and thank you for your concern. I hope you are safe also.    

I’ve really been going over your reports with a fine tooth comb and I’m seeing some unusual error coding in your system. 

I’ll more than likely be pulling some colleagues in (remotely, don’t worry about us!) to work out what’s going on, so please be patient as I(we) look this over.

it’s unfortunate that you only have Connect:Amps in your system since they tend to be wired to other things and not very portable.

Ideally I would like to wire something to the main to see if it behaves differently and it’s odd that it’s just Amazon Music doing this. 

Does anyone else in your home have an Amazon account that can be tested to rule out account specific playback issues? 

Just to add some detail: same issue happens when (1) I start music from within the Sonos controller on my Mac, and (2) when I try to play music from Pandora. So I don't think the problem is Alexa or Amazon Music.
Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @RyanP73

I’m going to ask you some of the same questions that I’ve asked others.

How far is your Beam from your Primary Google router and is your Beam close by anything that can cause structural or wireless interference?

If we can eliminate interference as a factor we can then attribute this to the known playback issue that we are currently working on resolving. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hi Jean, I just connected the kitchen directly to the router and disabled wifi, the very first song I played skipped out with the error, diagnostic immediately after : 1254483636

Let me know if I need to test anything else.

@Stanley_4 , thank you, I agreed with your opinion to be honest regarding wifi setup, however if I have to change it I will.  I removed WIFI credentials from the app this morning, assuming that will then utilise SonosNet and therefore I would not have to mess around with my WIFI setup.  I did this but sadly it still had the same issue, many songs erroring.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

@Jean C. 

I ran some extra tests to be sure;

• disabled wifi on all APs (including router)
  • shutdown the ethernet port for Beam upstairs

There is one song that nearly always skips after a few seconds, this time the song made it over a minute in (but still skipped eventually).  Ive been listening for about 5 minutes since, and ….well I was just about to say it seemed better, but no, another has skipped (I am kind of glad, because in theory these addiotnal steps I took shouldn’t make any difference).

Another diagnostic in case it helps: 1184413131

Ok, @TC1,

I am safe and well and thank you for your concern. I hope you are safe also.    

I’ve really been going over your reports with a fine tooth comb and I’m seeing some unusual error coding in your system. 

I’ll more than likely be pulling some colleagues in (remotely, don’t worry about us!) to work out what’s going on, so please be patient as I(we) look this over.

it’s unfortunate that you only have Connect:Amps in your system since they tend to be wired to other things and not very portable.

Ideally I would like to wire something to the main to see if it behaves differently and it’s odd that it’s just Amazon Music doing this. 

Does anyone else in your home have an Amazon account that can be tested to rule out account specific playback issues? 

Thanks, and my wife has the Amazon Music app.  Works fine on her phone, which runs off of same wifi.  Just turned on Sonos with Amazon and all working now, so if your team did something, awesome!  If not...well, we’ll see how it goes!  I replugged the Amazon Fire Stick into our tv, but I don’t see what would have changed as Amazon wasn’t working when it was unplugged or plugged in prior.