Song Not Encoded Correctly

• 26 March 2016
  • 87 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

87 replies

I've been using Apple Music almost exclusively, so I don't believe the issue is with the songs themselves. I figured it was a connection problem of some sort, but wasn't entirely sure what. I just unplugged and replugged everything earlier this evening. The problem seemed to be fixed for a short period of time, but I ended up having similar issues later in the evening.

My router and the Play:1 are in the same room, though they are across the room. I'm not really sure what else it might be, unfortunately. When it works, it works great, so this is frustrating. Thank you for all of your help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I've been using Apple Music almost exclusively, so I don't believe the issue is with the songs themselves. I figured it was a connection problem of some sort, but wasn't entirely sure what. I just unplugged and replugged everything earlier this evening. The problem seemed to be fixed for a short period of time, but I ended up having similar issues later in the evening.

My router and the Play:1 are in the same room, though they are across the room. I'm not really sure what else it might be, unfortunately. When it works, it works great, so this is frustrating. Thank you for all of your help.

Hi TheB1NG,

That error usually occurs when the stream for a song is interrupted, usually due to wireless interference or network congestion. Please send in a diagnostic report and reply here with the confirmation number, I'll take a look for you. Here's how to submit reports.

Song is encoded properly.Happens with only one album.  Apple Lossless Format.  All other Apple Lossless play just fine.  Tracks play just fine out of iTunes using Airplay to all Sonos speakers.

Diagnostics sent.  Confirmation number 684952093

Confirmation #: 5608326

Changing the channel has no impact.

I tried changing the network's wireless channel and it worked a treat!

same here: since I upgraded to Sonos App Version 10.6.1 I experience also skipping songs and ‘the song is not encoded correctly’ errors - looking at my Sonos System Error Log the errors started after the upgrade on my devices (Beam and One) - if Sonos Support tells me so, I can submit the diagnostics report

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Excellent @rbrown I’ll await an update and additional data. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @jkerouac59,

These M4A files show as corrupt in the error logs of your system. You may want to reach out to Apple for assistance with this particular album.

When the issue is with specific files as it is here, the issue is going to be the source. Something about the location or the format of this album is different from the rest of your music and Apple will be more able to figure out what that is. It could be the bit-rate or you may need to convert it to a different format.       

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I am getting the same error -- usually when I open a playlist. Most songs are skipped with the encoding error, but I am able to re-add the songs to the playlist and get them to work. Sucks not really being able to use playlists. I have to keep rebuilding them. Confirmation # 276450952

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @perosb  

Thank you for reaching out with your diagnostic reports from your Sonos system. 

It looks like you have a network that is operating with several different routers or access points so the Sonosnet set up is going to be your best bet.

Is it possible to wire the Beam directly to the network instead of the right-rear surround Play: 1?

Is the Sonosnet configuration working any better in this regard than running your system on WiFi?  

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Morning Jean,

So I disconnected ethernet on the Beam and enabled WIFI.  Playing on the kitchen I am still seeing songs skipping.

I checked my switch configs and it is using RSTP, I am not entirely confident in setting up the STP so before I start playing with that, is there any other test we could perform to determine if its definitely related to that?

In case it helps, diag report for the tests this morning is 618560680

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

I should add, even though the beam is now on wifi, it is still connecting to the same switch/ap as before, just via wifi instead of ethernet, so probably the STP is still affecting in the same way.  Perhaps if I switch off the beam entirely?

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @RyanP73,

Welcome to the Sonos community and thak you for reaching out about this issue.

Can you submit a diagnostic report from your app so that we can evaluate your Sonos system for interference?

If you post the confirmation number I will be more than happy to look it over for you. 

It looks like you have a network that is operating with several different routers or access points

Yes correct, but it was the same when there were only 2 Google Wifi.

Is it possible to wire the Beam directly to the network instead of the right-rear surround Play: 1?

Plugged in now.

Is the Sonosnet configuration working any better in this regard than running your system on WiFi?  

No, I’m afraid not. No major change with Sonosnet+beam with cable.

Diagnostics here 133450856 and here 25150434 @Jean C. 

edit: changed sonosnet to channel 11 and restarted Beam but same 454620320

edit: I cannot reproduce this with Google Play Music

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @perosb,

Is your Beam wired into a network switch or directly into your Ubiquiti router?

Hi @perosb,

Is your Beam wired into a network switch or directly into your Ubiquiti router?

It’s connected to a switch and then ubi router.

I understand you want to troubleshoot but I refuse to believe this would make a difference. I have 250mbit fiber, streaming multiple 4K videos works, playing games etc, but playing a single 256kbit audio file doesn’t. GPM plays 320kbps mp3a which works ;(

edit: I also tested grouping together some (3) google home mini as a group and no issues there (except the sound quality ;)

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @perosb,

I can understand your frustration but everything in the diagnostic reports at this time is pointing to a communication issue between Sonos and the internet.

In your most recent diagnostic, your Beam is grouped to your Play: 3. Can you un-group these and test playback on the home-theater system only?

Can you then group the Play: 3 and your Ikea Lamp to the Vardagsrummet Beam to see if the playback behavior changes.    

Hello @perosb,

In your most recent diagnostic, your Beam is grouped to your Play: 3. Can you un-group these and test playback on the home-theater system only?

Here with only bean/play1. Note though that I had to connect the cord again to the Play1. 1147317098 1208056871 705042186

@Jean C. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hey there @rbrown thanks for running that test. It looks like your Cisco switch is also operating on a different Wi-Fi channel which can kinda throw a wrench in things. If possible you will want to have these operating on the same channel. each of your two speakers is now communicating directly to two different access points which may be a contributing factor in this.  Can you tell us any specs on your Cisco and Routerboard access points?

Can you also test audio playback with your Kitchen speaker wired directly to your main router? 

Is it possible to temporarily take down your switch and access points to test playback with only your router broadcasting? 

I realize that this is a lot to ask but it will help us zero in on where in your network the snag is so we can eliminate it.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Thank you for your patience @perosb and for trying the different configurations with your wired set-up.

Is it possible to keep your Beam wired into your network? To resolve the playback issues it’s important that we don’t have one of the bonded surround Play:1s acting as the first-wired player. In these playback tests, were there any changes in the music service playback?

I'm trying to add a radio station and keep getting this message too- any help appreciated please
I'm trying to add a radio station and keep getting this message too- any help appreciated please
If you're trying to add a custom URL perhaps the audio really is in an incorrect format. Sonos supports MP3, AAC and WMA audio formats for radio. https://support.sonos.com/s/article/260

Getting encoding issues through Amazon services on my Sonos.  Restarted entire system, including routers.  Deleted Amazon from Sonos, then put back on and reauthorized account.  Continue to get encoding issues.  If just listening on Amazon app or through laptop, all is well.  Any help is appreciated!

Diagnostic info: 311128030

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @TC1,

Thank you for reaching out to the Sonos Community with your diagnostic report.

Are either or your two Sonos Connect:Amps close enough to your primary Google WiFi node to hard-wire with an Ethernet cable?

It looks like your players are struggling to communicate to the network in general and I’d like to see if wiring directly changes anything about the playback behavior on your system. 

If you are unable to wire one of your Connect: Amps for testing purposes, can you provide general information about where these units are located and how far from the router they are situated? Approximate range as well as proximity to other pieces of electronic or audio equipment could help us resolve this issue. Please follow up with a diagnostic report confirmation number from your app if you are able to test Amazon Music with the player connected via Ethernet.