Skip to main content

radio.net dead on Sonos

• 30 March 2024
  • 37 replies

Radio.net has been removed as a Sonos service at their request. This was an important service for U.K. listeners as it gave access to non U.K. stations. I think this leaves us with just my tuner allowing us in the UK access to the world since Tunein/Sonos have blocked non U.K. streams. My tuner blocks access on other platforms - are there any other options for UK listeners ? 

37 replies

Further to my previous post, I’ve just remembered that Classic FM has also been removed from the myTuner service on Sonos - and that is definitely a UK station. So what’s going on?

Classic is a Global station.  They actively promote use of their own app.  They DO have a Sonos service, if you can get that to work with the new app.  It works for me, if that means anything at the moment! 

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’ve added Classic FM via Radioplayer. However, my point is that if it’s something to do with myTuner blocking European stations for people in the UK, why has it blocked Classic FM?

I’ve added Classic FM via Radioplayer. However, my point is that if it’s something to do with myTuner blocking European stations for people in the UK, why has it blocked Classic FM?

Who knows? It's another mystery. 

Brexiteers will deny it, but this is possibly an unintended consequence of the UK leaving the EU.   Prior to Brexit, the UK was subject to EU wide broadcasting directives where companies could not discriminate on geopolitical grounds, or financial grounds, against member states. 

Hence, it was legal and possible for UK Amazon Prime content to be accessible in other EU states.  That went down the toilet with Brexit.

I suspect similar outcomes, along with the usual copyright and royalty legal bickering, has reduced UK reception to a shadow of its former state. 

TuneIn wiil no longer deliver stations from anywhere else in the world either-  US, Australia - I even tried Argentina - so I don’t think its a Brexit thing, more a ruling in a UK court.

Brexiteers will deny it, but this is possibly an unintended consequence of the UK leaving the EU.   Prior to Brexit, the UK was subject to EU wide broadcasting directives where companies could not discriminate on geopolitical grounds, or financial grounds, against member states. 

Hence, it was legal and possible for UK Amazon Prime content to be accessible in other EU states.  That went down the toilet with Brexit.

I suspect similar outcomes, along with the usual copyright and royalty legal bickering, has reduced UK reception to a shadow of its former state. 

TuneIn wiil no longer deliver stations from anywhere else in the world either-  US, Australia - I even tried Argentina - so I don’t think its a Brexit thing, more a ruling in a UK court.

unless being outside the EU ha allowed a UK court to make a ruling it could not otherwise do  - complicated and bloody annoying.

unless being outside the EU ha allowed a UK court to make a ruling it could not otherwise do  - complicated and bloody annoying.

interesting to look into this. TuneIn lost against Sony/Warner in 2019 and lost at the Court of Appeal in 2021.

As the UK was outside the EU the Court could have taken a different line to the European Court of Justice. However, it saw no reason to divert from EU case law and ruled in favour of Sony/Warner.

Now, is TuneIn able to stream radio from outside the EU into the EU, or have Sony/Warner chickened out of that ?

The radio issue has become really convoluted recently where stations have appeared and disappeared from various aggregators.

A case in point is Ibiza Global (and sister stations).

They are now available on Sonos Radio (aka TuneIn) and myTuner but not on vtuner.  The Sonos and myTuner streams play different track lists! 

Further, there is the special case of the UK where many non-UK stations are not playable on many aggregators. The reason for this is unclear. 

What are the implications for users? Use more than one service to search for and play your favourite stations.  Sonos is ideal for this as it has a variety of radio services.  Many other systems are restricted to just one service - if that goes down or delists stations then the user is stymied. 

We seem to have gone backwards. I enjoyed “surfing the net” on Sonos and checking-out stuff from around the globe.

As this was UK court ruling i wonder what TuneIn can stream to Europe.

We seem to have gone backwards. I enjoyed “surfing the net” on Sonos and checking-out stuff from around the globe.

As this was UK court ruling i wonder what TuneIn can stream to Europe.

Don't notice any significant issues with TuneIn in my part of the EU! (Apart from national broadcasters such as BBC, NRK, Radio France, etc. who've left Tunein overall). 

Well then UK listeners have been stuffed - by a UK court.

Well then UK listeners have been stuffed - by a UK court.

Isn't it called 'Taking Back Control'??? 

Indeed. It’ll probably be sorted/worked around/ eventually circumvented.