radio.net dead on Sonos

• 30 March 2024
  • 37 replies

Userlevel 2

Radio.net has been removed as a Sonos service at their request. This was an important service for U.K. listeners as it gave access to non U.K. stations. I think this leaves us with just my tuner allowing us in the UK access to the world since Tunein/Sonos have blocked non U.K. streams. My tuner blocks access on other platforms - are there any other options for UK listeners ? 

37 replies

Indeed. It’ll probably be sorted/worked around/ eventually circumvented. 

Well then UK listeners have been stuffed - by a UK court.

Isn't it called 'Taking Back Control'??? 

Well then UK listeners have been stuffed - by a UK court.

We seem to have gone backwards. I enjoyed “surfing the net” on Sonos and checking-out stuff from around the globe.

As this was UK court ruling i wonder what TuneIn can stream to Europe.

Don't notice any significant issues with TuneIn in my part of the EU! (Apart from national broadcasters such as BBC, NRK, Radio France, etc. who've left Tunein overall). 

We seem to have gone backwards. I enjoyed “surfing the net” on Sonos and checking-out stuff from around the globe.

As this was UK court ruling i wonder what TuneIn can stream to Europe.

The radio issue has become really convoluted recently where stations have appeared and disappeared from various aggregators.

A case in point is Ibiza Global (and sister stations).

They are now available on Sonos Radio (aka TuneIn) and myTuner but not on vtuner.  The Sonos and myTuner streams play different track lists! 

Further, there is the special case of the UK where many non-UK stations are not playable on many aggregators. The reason for this is unclear. 

What are the implications for users? Use more than one service to search for and play your favourite stations.  Sonos is ideal for this as it has a variety of radio services.  Many other systems are restricted to just one service - if that goes down or delists stations then the user is stymied. 

Brexiteers will deny it, but this is possibly an unintended consequence of the UK leaving the EU.   Prior to Brexit, the UK was subject to EU wide broadcasting directives where companies could not discriminate on geopolitical grounds, or financial grounds, against member states. 

Hence, it was legal and possible for UK Amazon Prime content to be accessible in other EU states.  That went down the toilet with Brexit.

I suspect similar outcomes, along with the usual copyright and royalty legal bickering, has reduced UK reception to a shadow of its former state. 

TuneIn wiil no longer deliver stations from anywhere else in the world either-  US, Australia - I even tried Argentina - so I don’t think its a Brexit thing, more a ruling in a UK court.

unless being outside the EU ha allowed a UK court to make a ruling it could not otherwise do  - complicated and bloody annoying.

interesting to look into this. TuneIn lost against Sony/Warner in 2019 and lost at the Court of Appeal in 2021.

As the UK was outside the EU the Court could have taken a different line to the European Court of Justice. However, it saw no reason to divert from EU case law and ruled in favour of Sony/Warner.

Now, is TuneIn able to stream radio from outside the EU into the EU, or have Sony/Warner chickened out of that ?

Brexiteers will deny it, but this is possibly an unintended consequence of the UK leaving the EU.   Prior to Brexit, the UK was subject to EU wide broadcasting directives where companies could not discriminate on geopolitical grounds, or financial grounds, against member states. 

Hence, it was legal and possible for UK Amazon Prime content to be accessible in other EU states.  That went down the toilet with Brexit.

I suspect similar outcomes, along with the usual copyright and royalty legal bickering, has reduced UK reception to a shadow of its former state. 

TuneIn wiil no longer deliver stations from anywhere else in the world either-  US, Australia - I even tried Argentina - so I don’t think its a Brexit thing, more a ruling in a UK court.

unless being outside the EU ha allowed a UK court to make a ruling it could not otherwise do  - complicated and bloody annoying.

I’ve added Classic FM via Radioplayer. However, my point is that if it’s something to do with myTuner blocking European stations for people in the UK, why has it blocked Classic FM?

Who knows? It's another mystery. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’ve added Classic FM via Radioplayer. However, my point is that if it’s something to do with myTuner blocking European stations for people in the UK, why has it blocked Classic FM?

Further to my previous post, I’ve just remembered that Classic FM has also been removed from the myTuner service on Sonos - and that is definitely a UK station. So what’s going on?

Classic is a Global station.  They actively promote use of their own app.  They DO have a Sonos service, if you can get that to work with the new app.  It works for me, if that means anything at the moment! 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Further to my previous post, I’ve just remembered that Classic FM has also been removed from the myTuner service on Sonos - and that is definitely a UK station. So what’s going on?

Userlevel 3
Badge

Re myTuner: I’m in the UK and all the European classical stations which I’ve got on my Sonos set-up no longer work, although I can still play the stations through myTuner in a web browser. I’ve emailed myTuner to ask why but haven’t received a reply yet.

Some stations (NRK Klassisk, SR P2, France Musique) are accessible in Sonos via their own services (ie the equivalent of BBC Sounds) but the rest aren’t. The Classical genre in myTuner on Sonos has some stations in it but they all look to be UK ones.

I’ve had to resort to using our old internet radio for the missing stations but it’s a far from satisfactory solution - and only works in one room, unlike Sonos.

HI and thx. If you ger a reply from MyTuner could you let us know what they say ? 

Steve 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Re myTuner: I’m in the UK and all the European classical stations which I’ve got on my Sonos set-up no longer work, although I can still play the stations through myTuner in a web browser. I’ve emailed myTuner to ask why but haven’t received a reply yet.

Some stations (NRK Klassisk, SR P2, France Musique) are accessible in Sonos via their own services (ie the equivalent of BBC Sounds) but the rest aren’t. The Classical genre in myTuner on Sonos has some stations in it but they all look to be UK ones.

I’ve had to resort to using our old internet radio for the missing stations but it’s a far from satisfactory solution - and only works in one room, unlike Sonos.

Userlevel 3
Badge

It's all turning to sh#t lol 😆 

Userlevel 2

I think MyTuner is now also blocking UK a listeners from accessing non U.K. stations - what a disaster ! Can’t get Irish stations or search by location anymore. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

I listened to Radio marbella and Deep House radio.  Both were available on My Tuner a couple of weeks ago. They will now not play. If i use my VPN Sonos does not work. I'm still trying to find a way of getting them back. Anyone got any suggestions?  😊 TIA 

It's so frustrating, I have sonos arc and sonos one x2 they are without bluetooth so now I can't listen to my favorite Polish radio stations. My teenager was listening to radio with me and was lerning polish language at the same time 😩 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

It really is a lot of nonsense. I can still use the internet stations blocked via sonos using a simple web browser. It is not sonos to blame but the UK legal system that  entertain requests from music giants to block channels from selected streaming hardware platforms like sonos, while you can still legally access the stations directly via a browser on the internet. I think it is time to use a permanent VPN setup in my router -;) 

This is terrible as it was the only app I used on my 4 SonosOne devices.

Yea I can stream bluetooth from my phone to my Sonos but that’s an expensive bluetooth speaker at that point with no functionality beyond being a bluetooth speaker.

I don’t know who is at fault, but it sucks for me that’s for sure.  Sonos just gets worse and worse (it does, yes it does).  Thankfully I have only minimally been burned by this new style of subscription based technology and don’t own a car I have to pay to update and can't drive if the update fails.  Yet.

They’re slowly locking us into their walled garden of Google, Amazon, and Spotify owned services.  Soon what?  Apple buys Sonos and makes it Apple Music only and bricks millions of devices?

This business model is trash and only hurts us, consumers.  An MP3 collection, a Network Area Storage Device, and some kind of Chinese made speaker looks like a mighty good alternative at this point.  The only option perhaps.

BTW if you have a cached channel streaming to your device you can still stream from Radio.net just fine.  They removed the app but they aren’t preventing devices from receiving the streams lol.

Might be worth reaching out to each individual station, and ask them what aggregation service they’ve chosen to be associated with, now that radio.net is gone. Or at least check their websites to se if it is mentioned. There are many aggregators always competing for exclusivity, and you may also have the option to try , via the information in the FAQ, setting up an internet radio station . 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I suggest that you use “my tuner radio station” which is still supported by Sonos.  Delete all the radio.net stations and get them through “my tuner”

Thats what I tried doing but unfortunately a lot of radio.net stations are not available on mytuner. 

I suggest that you use “my tuner radio station” which is still supported by Sonos.  Delete all the radio.net stations and get them through “my tuner”