Skip to main content

New app volume control issue

Updated to the new app yesterday.  When I try to use the volume sliders on a group of speakers, or individual speakers within the group, the volume does not change and the slider just pops back to the previous position.  Tried repeatedly to get it to work, no luck.

Anyone else?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

117 replies

Absolute crap update. I don’t see myself ever buying another Sonos product.

+1 will not purchase any Sonos hardware until they fix this dumpster fire. The app is better than May, but I’m really not happy with how long it’s taking. 

I have all the issues you describe above but even reading through the posts here I cannot see any reply's or help from Sonos. Am I in the wrong thread for help on this topic?

I have all the issues you describe above but even reading through the posts here I cannot see any reply's or help from Sonos. Am I in the wrong thread for help on this topic?

It’s a Sonos user community - if you need assistance/advice from Sonos. You can contact them via this link below:

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

The issue is that the new app is buggy AF. There is no help for this other than wait and hope they fix it via update. 

The issue is that the new app is buggy AF. There is no help for this other than wait and hope they fix it via update. 

I disagree, how can you know that Sonos Support cannot assist the user here with their issue? They may not be App-related at all - and in event why make the user wait indefinitely, particularly if it’s not the App?

I would personally still recommend they at least find out what the Support Staff say about the matter. It might just be something they can resolve over the phone.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

When the new application was released and my Sonos system that have been working perfectly started to have a number of stability and functional issues.I called Sonos support, generated the log file, and sent them the log code number, then under Sonos support technician direction I proceeded to go through all the various debug steps with them including a number of which I had already tried. The net result is it didn’t make a bit of difference. The Sonos support technician I was talking to said that the new planned updates should fix the problems.. I would say that’s a strong indication the problem is related to the application and not something specific to the users environment/setup. I’ve had Sonos back to when they were first introduced and have been upgrading over the years. I am well aware of both of the idiosyncrasies, but I’ve never had the type of problems that cropped up when this new application was released. Granted the app has improved with the recent releases but it still has a lot of stability issues that did not exist prior to this application release. I have been using SonoPad on my iPad to control my Sonos speakers. It’s a little clunky and a bit difficult to use but at least it works consistently. I’m looking forward to when Sonos finishes the various updates to fix a number of the issues that we are seeing.

Yes it is probably still a good idea to talk to the Sonos Support technician. Just be prepared to wait quite a while to get connected to Sonos support. I had to call in multiple times and wait about 40 minutes before I actually got somebody Sonos support. Maybe the wait times have gone down recently but that’s just what I experienced. 

Yes it is probably still a good idea to talk to the Sonos Support technician. Just be prepared to wait quite a while to get connected to Sonos support. I had to call in multiple times and wait about 40 minutes before I actually got somebody Sonos support. Maybe the wait times have gone down recently but that’s just what I experienced. 

Switching to SonoPhone, the desktop app, 16.1 on Android, Phonos Plus are generally, for many people, the way to a more reliable experience while Sonos figures out WTF they’ve done. 

40 minutes isn’t too bad. It seems like it is getting better.

So when you talked to support and they helped you, what was the solution to your volume issues?  are you still using SonoPhone? 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Sonos Support technician was unable to provide any useful assistance at the time of the call. 
One of the fixes that was discussed when I talked to the Sonos technician was changing the channel for the Wi-Fi unfortunately at the time that particular option was not working in the new application. It’s now enabled but it did not help with the volume control issue. To reiterate I had no issues with the old Sonos application the way that it was set up prior to the forced update to the new application.

Overall stability has improved somewhat with the recent updates to this application but it still instantly flaky to the point of me pulling out what’s left of my hair. The very intermittent nature of some of the stability problems could be why some people are not seeing these issues when other people are. For now when the intermittent volume control issue crops up I go to SonoPad to adjust the volume.

Has the Sonos application improved with a recent updates: YES. Are all the stability, control, and library issues fixed: NO

This issue is probably the biggest issue we’ve faced with the S2 app update and it has literally ruined the Sonos experience. Volume control is one of the most basic functions of a multi-zone media controller. This MUST work flawlessly. No excuses. Please make this a priority. In doing so, it will probably fix the other delay issues with skip, fast forward, source select. I know it’s not just our system as we’ve experienced it on all Sonos systems that have updated to the new S2.

I have the same issue, volume comes back to previous setting and app shows no music playing on certain speaker but I can hear it's playing.

Sonos Support technician was unable to provide any useful assistance at the time of the call. 

Thanks for responding.

Just to reiterate for those who refuse to acknowledge the bugs in this app. This is why I was suggesting that the other poster not bother calling support. There are threads with hundreds of responses about this issue. It’s a known bug, even though Sonos is saying nothing about it. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

I want to reiterate that volume still doesn’t work on the latest version of the apple or android app.  So unfortunate to see a previously great company become so terribly awful.  

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Updated to the new app yesterday.  When I try to use the volume sliders on a group of speakers, or individual speakers within the group, the volume does not change and the slider just pops back to the previous position.  Tried repeatedly to get it to work, no luck.

Anyone else?

Yes me too I’ve asked Sonos on FB & messenger numerous times now and they’re just completely ignoring me and others, I called them and was on hold for over an hour and when I told the tech that I was having issues with their app he hung up on me! Great app and wonderful service Sonos, money well spent.

I also encounter a lot of problems with the new IOS application (delay when adjusting volume or changing songs). 
SONOS support told me that the problem is with my WIFI network. However, these symptoms do not appear from the SONOS application installed on my Macbook Pro which is very responsive.

During my various tests, I noticed that the volume adjustment was much more responsive from my IOS application when I deleted the surroud configuration (playbar + sub + 2x play:1). Anyone else ?

Since the upgrade I have this same error regardless of which device I try to control with. I have not reached out to SONOS support since in the past whenever I have reached out to them they have said “yeah it’s your wifi channel, sorry buddy” while I have changed the channels and done everything I can to try to fix the issue.

Like others have said, this new app has rendered my multi-room system nearly unusable. I could not be more disappointed in SONOS as a company. So unprofessional and disrespectful.

Same volume issues here as with everyone else. 

The shockingly disappointing part of all of this is the length of time this has been happening and reading how dedicated and deeply product-invested customers are literally begging this company to reissue the previous, well-working version until they get a chance to replace all the people who they’ve hopefully fired who are responsible for all of this. 

Also, Sonos should be issuing full refunds of the original purchase price immediately upon receipt of the returned equipment of all the consumers who have justifiably decided to ditch Sonos.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Same problem here, months later.