Skip to main content

Disaster App Update 80.xx.xx - May 2024

I just want to put my review (app store) from the latest update here in as already so many of us feel the same way:

first of all - i m a customer and fan since 2011 and i ve several setups in my home: 1x arc - 2x era 300 - 1x sub (3rd gen) - 1x beam (2nd gen) - 2x era 100 - 1x one (2nd gen). also i m a software dev and system admin for about 25y (large international corporation). yesterday I downloaded the new update and it s a total failure and complete disaster! it s so bad that i m willed to sell all my speakers if it s not corrected or will be rollbacked. the new design is neither intuitive nor performant (iPhone 14 pro) and also key features missing like editing an actual playlist/cue, sleep timer, alarm, etc. also my favorites don’t work anymore, can’t mute, can’t switch between tv and music, nas settings gone and are not available, some services had to been removed and new connected, etc.

how is it possible that a big company like this „burn it down to the ground“ when the app before was nearly perfect?! where is the quality management, the testing rings, etc.? it s unbelievable - such an disappointment and like i wrote before - if this is the new way i m out and selling all my speakers. you can also read a lot of the same opinions in the official sonos community/forum. this is all a huge L

224 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I had hoped that Sonos might notice that the new app is a disaster.  However, after reading the comments posted since my first comment, nothing has improved.    It does not seem like Sonos is the least concerned about this.

I’m not a Sonos supporter but you still having issues is not the indicator that Sonos hasn’t noticed, or that nothing has improved, or that Sonos isn’t the least concerned about this.

There has been an update almost every week since the new app was launched, and you can Google ‘Sonos Release Notes’ to read the adjustments that have been made. They have also published a schedule of fixes (which does move a bit admittedly). 
So as I said - I’m not supporting Sonos, just pointing out the laziness in your posting…

Badge

Hi. ERA 300 , connected as a surround. I can't hear any sound from the speakers on my side. Which are clearly audible to the sides and upwards. I updated it normally. all speakers work on Bluetooth, but in the surround only the external and upper ones. Maybe this is how it should be? I haven't listened to speakers close to my ear before.

Badge

The new Sonos app is total garbage and needs sorting quickly. I’ve got a sound bar, sub and speakers all around my home which have cost me a small fortune and now the whole system is rubbish. The app keeps telling me I don’t have any connected devices, turn the volume up / down and it takes ages to respond. It’s disgraceful and Sonos need to sort it out quickly and suggest they rollback to the previous app before they start losing loyal customers. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi. ERA 300 , connected as a surround. I can't hear any sound from the speakers on my side. Which are clearly audible to the sides and upwards. I updated it normally. all speakers work on Bluetooth, but in the surround only the external and upper ones. Maybe this is how it should be? I haven't listened to speakers close to my ear before.

Surround speakers will only play sound when the tv or movie content needs to send sounds there. They are largely atmospheric speakers and will play significant sound only infrequently, specifically when the sound mix calls for that certain speaker. On your now playing screen, does it say 5.1 Dolby (or Dolby Atmos) - ie. is it playing content that has surround?

Try playing Music on your home theatre (not Bluetooth). Ensure Music is set to Full in your surround settings. Does music play from them then? If so, they are very likely all working fine. 

Badge

Surround speakers will only play sound when the tv or movie content needs to send sounds there. They are largely atmospheric speakers and will play significant sound only infrequently. On your now playing screen, does it say 5.1 Dolby - ie is it playing content that has surround?

Try playing Music on your home theatre. Ensure Music is set to Full in your surround settings. Does music play from them then? If so, they are very likely all working fine. 

the speakers facing the ears do not work in both 5.1 and music. if you use Era separately as a Bluetooth speaker, then all speakers work both on the left and on the right.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

What about not Bluetooth music? ie music through the Sonos app. (edit: sorry, you answered this…!)

Badge

What about not Bluetooth music? ie music through the Sonos app.

They only work in walls and ceiling. Pointing towards the ears does not work

Badge

What about not Bluetooth music? ie music through the Sonos app.

They only work in walls and ceiling. Pointing towards the ears does not work

I turned on the Bluetooth software to make sure the speakers and amplifiers were physically working properly

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hmm… Hopefully others on here who own Era 300s can help further.

Badge

Okay, thanks, I'll try to reset them.

Badge

complicated technique... because as it turned out, the Era300 has two surround channels, one side channel and one rear channel. Everything works in 7.1.4. In 5.1, there are only side rears or it's so quiet that I can't even hear them.

Anyone tried the connection to nas in latest version on android?

Badge

complicated technique... because as it turned out, the Era300 has two surround channels, one side channel and one rear channel. Everything works in 7.1.4. In 5.1, there are only side rears or it's so quiet that I can't even hear them.

I can't find information anywhere on how the ERA300 speakers should work if connected as rear speakers. Before buying, I knew that only one front speaker was turned off. And the rest have to work, right? If they have to, then either my software is not working properly, or my ERAs are faulty.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @AndreyN1971 

You are off-topic for this thread - surround speakers working or not working has little to do with the Sonos app.

I suggest you create a new thread asking for help. You can do so at https://en.community.sonos.com/topic/new

Stay away from Sonos
Iv been on the phone to sonos for 2hours 40 mins and they still can’t resolve the connectivity issue and put me back on hold again. They will try blaming WiFi to Apple Music 
AVOID SONOS!!!!!!

Dont anymore of their products 

switch before you waste any  more money 

Sonos user since 14+ years. 

never been a huge fan but kinda liked it. My wife, too. Invested into multiple sonos products over years. Invested a lot of personal time to maintain set up. Like many of us I guess.
Totally upset now. Totally.
cant add / connect / operate shared NAS drive through iOS app anymore. 
must use old Mac computer to play.

Will never recommend SONOS to anyone. Never. 

Speechless about what happened here. how a corporate company can let users down. Example how to lose loyal customers. 

Not working for me on iOS - really disappointing 

still working on old MacBook Pro

seems to work now with the new version, but cannot search and app keeps crashing on android..

Userlevel 1

I had hoped that Sonos might notice that the new app is a disaster.  However, after reading the comments posted since my first comment, nothing has improved.    It does not seem like Sonos is the least concerned about this.

I’m not a Sonos supporter but you still having issues is not the indicator that Sonos hasn’t noticed, or that nothing has improved, or that Sonos isn’t the least concerned about this.

There has been an update almost every week since the new app was launched, and you can Google ‘Sonos Release Notes’ to read the adjustments that have been made. They have also published a schedule of fixes (which does move a bit admittedly). 
So as I said - I’m not supporting Sonos, just pointing out the laziness in your posting…

They can release all the “fixes”  and updates that they want but if they don’t fix the things that are important to people, like their Qobuz playlists, etc then it is pretty meaningless.

So no need to call someone lazy for not attending to useless updates and atrocious customer service.

After all it has been TWO months.

Userlevel 1

Hello to all,

I just update Sonos app on my iPhone,

surprise, surprise nothing changed

no queue editing, no play next and no add to end of queue. No timer and so on.

Exactly the same disaster as last month.

Try closing the Sonos App fully and wait a few moments to clear it from the device memory and then reopen it. Select a room and replace the queue, with either a track or Album and then go onto an entirely different track, or album, and select to "Add to end of queue" and see if that perhaps works for you. An example attached shows a rolling screen-capture animation from an iPhone XR controller where an album ‘Wishbone Ash’ is added to the current playing queue - just to show it can/does work since the recent App update.

Note aswell, there is no queue editing features in this recent update, aswell as some other features it’s the playback controls, such as ‘Play Next’, ‘Add to end of queue’ etc. that have been added.

I hope that assists. 

The whole point of Sonos was to be able to do all of this simply and easily. Not have to consult a forum and jump through hoops. So while I appreciate the leg work, this is not a solution.

When is Sonos going to bring back the ability to enter and save a custom URL?

I do not see this feature being addressed in the new timeline of app updates. 

This is the only reason most of us bought into sonos in the first place. I suspect they have sold very few of the new headphones, or other new sonos products since the update of the sonos app. How do we get this message to someone at sonos who will add back the ability to enter and save a custom URL to the new app, even if it does not require tunein. This should be part of the native app as it has been in the past. I cannot get Tunein to work properly in the free version. This off loading of entering a custom URL to a third party makes no financial or programming sense. How much could it cost sonos to have kept it, even without tunein?

When is Sonos going to bring back the ability to enter and save a custom URL?

I do not see this feature being addressed in the new timeline of app updates. 

This is the only reason most of us bought into sonos in the first place. 

I very highly doubt “the only reason most of us bought into Sonos” was to enter custom URL’s for streaming.  Matter of fact, I highly doubt the vast majority of Sonos users even know what that feature is.  Might want to dial back the hyperbole on that one. 

Userlevel 1

Agree. Entering URLs is hardly the core of the desired Sonos experience. It is simplicity and ease of use. Even their hardware isn’t really all that great. But still, it was a previous capability which is now gone….kind of like playlists.

However, the GOOD news is the engineers and team that designed this most recent update have all been fired.  The BAD news is that they were hired by Crowdstrike.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Not working for me on iOS - really disappointing 

still working on old MacBook Pro

same for me on iOS and iPadOS - still unable to connect to the saved folders (before disaster update) and still can t add new folders (qnap ts-469l).