Skip to main content

Disaster App Update 80.xx.xx - May 2024

I just want to put my review (app store) from the latest update here in as already so many of us feel the same way:

first of all - i m a customer and fan since 2011 and i ve several setups in my home: 1x arc - 2x era 300 - 1x sub (3rd gen) - 1x beam (2nd gen) - 2x era 100 - 1x one (2nd gen). also i m a software dev and system admin for about 25y (large international corporation). yesterday I downloaded the new update and it s a total failure and complete disaster! it s so bad that i m willed to sell all my speakers if it s not corrected or will be rollbacked. the new design is neither intuitive nor performant (iPhone 14 pro) and also key features missing like editing an actual playlist/cue, sleep timer, alarm, etc. also my favorites don’t work anymore, can’t mute, can’t switch between tv and music, nas settings gone and are not available, some services had to been removed and new connected, etc.

how is it possible that a big company like this „burn it down to the ground“ when the app before was nearly perfect?! where is the quality management, the testing rings, etc.? it s unbelievable - such an disappointment and like i wrote before - if this is the new way i m out and selling all my speakers. you can also read a lot of the same opinions in the official sonos community/forum. this is all a huge L

I bought two ERA 300s a few days ago. I didn’t know about the connection problems. I connected to BEAM2 for 4 hours. I thought they were faulty. But somehow I managed to connect. The next day they disconnected. Again tried many times, but did not connect. Very bad. I'll try to install version 16.1 on Android

Did you connect the Era 300s to the Beam by using the function ‘Connect Surrounds’?

yes

One suggestion that might prove positive: 

• Turn off your router, Beam, and Eras at the wall. 
  • Edit: force close the Sonos app.
  • Turn the router on and let it fully get online.
  • Edit: re-open the Sonos app.
  • Turn the Beam on and let it connect.
  • Turn the surrounds on and hopefully they will connect. 

Sometimes for some reason it can be restarting everything and refreshing the speakers’ IP addresses that can get things back online.

One suggestion that might prove positive: 

• Turn off your router, Beam, and Eras at the wall. 
  • Turn the router on and let it fully get online.
  • Turn the Beam on and let it connect.
  • Turn the surrounds on and hopefully they will connect. 

Sometimes for some reason it can be restarting everything and refreshing the speakers’ IP addresses that can get things back online.

Thank you very much, I'll try in this order. But I turned everything off completely and there was no result. I connected Beam to 2.4 and Era300 to 5 and even 2.4 and it doesn’t work. Tell me how to initially add them to the environment? I did this: Beam - hall, Era - hall1, Era - hall2. Then I renamed everything to the hall and connected it as surround speakers. Before this, I reset the program and Era and Beam too.

EDIT: So I am clear: are you going to try the above or have you just tried it?

On your Sonos app, can you currently see your Beam, Era (1) and Era (2) as three separate/individual speakers? 

On your Sonos app, can you currently see your Beam, Era (1) and Era (2) as three separate/individual speakers? 

no I am at work. They all appeared in the system before. Now only beam

Okay, try the above when you can and see what happens. Happy to help further, as I’m sure many others will be.

Okay, try the above when you can and see what happens. Happy to help further, as I’m sure many others will be.

thank you !!! I would like to understand how to connect them correctly initially after a reset.

thank you !!! I would like to understand how to connect them correctly initially after a reset.

Sorry, I'm using Google translator.

Sorry, I'm using Google translator.

No apology needed!

When you have switched them all back on again, in that sequence, I hope they will all connect. But come back on here and let us know what you see in the Sonos app and we can progress from there. 

They don't connect. At first everything goes well, they connect to the network, then I connect them as surround speakers, the right one gives a signal, select it, wait, writes successfully, the final sound is heard only from beam. And there are none in the system and the indicators are not shining

They don't connect. At first everything goes well, they connect to the network, then I connect them as surround speakers, the right one gives a signal, select it, wait, writes successfully, the final sound is heard only from beam. And there are none in the system and the indicators are not shining

In the morning I unplugged them and turned them on, now they glow white. But there are none in the system and there is no sound

I’m running out of ideas! 
I suggest you download the Windows or Mac version of the Sonos app, and log in there. See if the speakers show up there. (The desktop apps are a bit more like the old app and sometimes are able to show things the phone app doesn’t…)

I'll try your edited advice again

and I can’t return the 5GHz frequency to the application. Deleted by mistake. I'm thinking about changing my router already. What is puzzling is that they worked for one day and then switched off.

and I can’t return the 5GHz frequency to the application. Deleted by mistake. I'm thinking about changing my router already. What is puzzling is that they worked for one day and then switched off.

web version sees eras not connected

A miracle has happened! I connected beam to the Internet with a wire and the era is connected!!! I'm incredibly happy, the sound is awesome! Thanks for the advice. Maybe this experience will help someone too

A miracle has happened! I connected beam to the Internet with a wire and the era is connected!!! I'm incredibly happy, the sound is awesome! Thanks for the advice. Maybe this experience will help someone too

Oh yes. That would have been a good additional suggestion to have given you…!

I spent the entire morning unplugging, plugging in. . . several times.

Resetting App on my iPad and iPhone. . . several times.

Finding Network. . . several times.

Had to update all of my speakers again. . . working yesterday (after I went through the above ritual) but today there are no Sonos speakers on my network.  They were found yesterday.  Today we are starting the day same as every other day.  Some or all of the speakers are not found- -repeat the above ritual every morning.  Was only 3 hours today. . . small victory versus most mornings.

Which will come first- they fix their app or the company evaporates into dust as customers leave in droves. ..  .remember Blackberry!

Has there been any feedback as to when the play button will return to the Tidal app for Artist Radio or Top Hits? I just did the Sonos update, but its still not there.

Has anyone seen or heard of a sign of hope to correct this Sh-- Show ?  Only encouragement I had was submitting a diagnostic test while on hold for service and got one of my 2 zones back. And on hold for 85 minutes and never picked up.

Has anyone seen or heard of a sign of hope to correct this Sh-- Show ?  Only encouragement I had was submitting a diagnostic test while on hold for service and got one of my 2 zones back. And on hold for 85 minutes and never picked up.

Yesterday’s app update, maybe? Another small step forward for some.

A week of no devices in my home finding the Sonos system on my WiFi (only one WiFi so all on one).  Strange that most speakers play Sonos content when I turn them on and off on the speaker.  So my Move plays radio when I hit enter on the Move.  Era 300’s play Radio Paradise and my Era 100’s are playing Amazon Music.  I can listen to these three items but can not access any speaker from the Sonos App on any device that anyone owns.  Every morning I go through the shut-down WiFi, unplug all speakers, reset all Sonos apps on all devices, and still Sonos can’t find Sonos on my WiFi on any device so there is no control.

Good news- a full suite of Apple Home Pods will be delivered tomorrow so I can enjoy Music and radio again.  I have $8,000 of Sonos speakers in my home and office locations and are 100% boat anchors now.  None of my MANY Sonos speakers connect thorough AirPlay2 anymore so they have all been rendered useless and I can no longer spend 1-2 hours every morning hoping today is the day I regain Sonos access through the App.

So sad and depressing. . . ..

I had hoped that Sonos might notice that the new app is a disaster.  However, after reading the comments posted since my first comment, nothing has improved.  I went from loving and recommending Sonos to telling people to avoid it.

I reinstalled the original app (instructions in earlier post) and blocked update on my phone for Sonos, so they do not overwrite the old app.  The old app was just OK, but it is a miracle compared to the current app.  It does not seem like Sonos is the least concerned about this.

My suggestion to all is to revert back to the old app. That works fine for me.