Skip to main content

Disaster App Update 80.xx.xx - May 2024

I just want to put my review (app store) from the latest update here in as already so many of us feel the same way:

first of all - i m a customer and fan since 2011 and i ve several setups in my home: 1x arc - 2x era 300 - 1x sub (3rd gen) - 1x beam (2nd gen) - 2x era 100 - 1x one (2nd gen). also i m a software dev and system admin for about 25y (large international corporation). yesterday I downloaded the new update and it s a total failure and complete disaster! it s so bad that i m willed to sell all my speakers if it s not corrected or will be rollbacked. the new design is neither intuitive nor performant (iPhone 14 pro) and also key features missing like editing an actual playlist/cue, sleep timer, alarm, etc. also my favorites don’t work anymore, can’t mute, can’t switch between tv and music, nas settings gone and are not available, some services had to been removed and new connected, etc.

how is it possible that a big company like this „burn it down to the ground“ when the app before was nearly perfect?! where is the quality management, the testing rings, etc.? it s unbelievable - such an disappointment and like i wrote before - if this is the new way i m out and selling all my speakers. you can also read a lot of the same opinions in the official sonos community/forum. this is all a huge L

224 replies

Not many mentioning the lack of AUTOPLAY in this disaster of an app.  
They say it will be included later.  
Erm.. how about only releasing the update when things work!!!

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I’m ready to ditch Sonos. Sell the speakers on Ebay and start over. It’s easier to stream to your stereo from Heos and utilize other brand blue tooth speakers in remote rooms from the Entertainment center.

This company has shot itself in the foot. Both feet. With a shotgun.

What surprises me is that Sonos has not even put out a statement acknowledging the issues. Yep, both feet….

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I wish I could restore to the old app!

What surprises me is that Sonos has not even put out a statement acknowledging the issues. Yep, both feet….

Ya they have.  They haven’t apologized or the ceo said anything remorseful but it wouldn’t be correct to say they haven’t acknowledged the issues. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I’m ready to ditch Sonos. Sell the speakers on Ebay and start over. It’s easier to stream to your stereo from Heos and utilize other brand blue tooth speakers in remote rooms from the Entertainment center.

I feel your pain. I looked at Denon HEOS and had a super-strong déjà vu moment: hardware looks fabulous but you’re dependent on their app. And “they” are owned by private equity, backers not generally known for long-term dedication and stability.

Well they released an update to the app today and it’s like they keep compounding the issues of this disastrous app. They said they fixed the queue and yes, there is the button to add to the end of the queue and add to next, but when I look at the queue after I add stuff, there’s nothing there. So still very broken. I don’t know how these updates make it through testing. The mute button is back and seems to work so there’s that one small win.

Well they released an update to the app today and it’s like they keep compounding the issues of this disastrous app. They said they fixed the queue and yes, there is the button to add to the end of the queue and add to next, but when I look at the queue after I add stuff, there’s nothing there. So still very broken. I don’t know how these updates make it through testing. The mute button is back and seems to work so there’s that one small win.

The queue editing is not in this update … these are the reported features added:

• Added support for the all new Sonos Ace headphones
  • Added sleep timer settings
  • Added “play next” and “add to end of queue”
  • Improved Home Feed scrolling
  • Improved setup reliability
  • Added WiFi configuration for products with BLE
  • Improved battery consumption for Bluetooth discovery
  • Improved ability to update older firmware systems
  • Further improved navigation for visually-impaired customers
  • Added VoiceOver support to read toast message automatically on iOS
  • Introduced mute button on iOS
  • Improved local library connectivity
  • Improved Trueplay setup on iOS
  • Added distance settings for surrounds
  • Added line-out settings for Sonos Port

I’ve read the release notes but I wasn’t talking about queue editing. Using the “play next” and “add to end of queue” don’t do anything. I add items using those buttons but nothing plays after the currently playing item finishes. When I click on the queue button it just shows an empty list.

I’ve read the release notes but I wasn’t talking about queue editing. Using the “play next” and “add to end of queue” don’t do anything. I add items using those buttons but nothing plays after the currently playing item finishes. When I click on the queue button it just shows an empty list.

Strange, it’s working here - and I see the items in the room queue too. 
In the attached screen-capture recording, I start with a Peter Gabriel track playing on the room and simply add Wishbone Ash ‘Live Dates’ album to the playing queue … so it should be working.

Note I’m using an iOS (iPad controller here, but it works for me on iPhone too).

There’s quite a few people over on Reddit posting issues with the 2 new queue options. Obvs not solving your issue, just confirming others having the same/similar issues.  The app is still very buggy, some have had success reinstalling the app. 

Userlevel 3

There’s quite a few people over on Reddit posting issues with the 2 new queue options. Obvs not solving your issue, just confirming others having the same/similar issues.  The app is still very buggy, some have had success reinstalling the app. 

Hello to all,

I just update Sonos app on my iPhone,

surprise, surprise nothing changed

no queue editing, no play next and no add to end of queue. No timer and so on.

Exactly the same disaster as last month.

Userlevel 1

I agree. This can’t even be considered an “update,” because there is literally nothing better about it.

I have to sign in every freaking time!

The Home screen NEVER loads the first time; it rarely loads at all.

In short, it totally SUCKS and THERE IS NO OTHER OPTION!

You and other 800 pound gorillas can bite me. I’m getting rid of my Sonos gear.

Why did you put out something that sucks SO HARD?????

Hello to all,

I just update Sonos app on my iPhone,

surprise, surprise nothing changed

no queue editing, no play next and no add to end of queue. No timer and so on.

Exactly the same disaster as last month.

Try closing the Sonos App fully and wait a few moments to clear it from the device memory and then reopen it. Select a room and replace the queue, with either a track or Album and then go onto an entirely different track, or album, and select to "Add to end of queue" and see if that perhaps works for you. An example attached shows a rolling screen-capture animation from an iPhone XR controller where an album ‘Wishbone Ash’ is added to the current playing queue - just to show it can/does work since the recent App update.

Note aswell, there is no queue editing features in this recent update, aswell as some other features it’s the playback controls, such as ‘Play Next’, ‘Add to end of queue’ etc. that have been added.

I hope that assists. 

Userlevel 3

Ok thanks a lot !!🙏🏼🙏🏼

Now I can see a list and can add songs ! 
It’s a bit tricky.

The complete lack of support for local servers is biggest issue for me, I have thousands of songs on a NAS.  I dumped my receiver and media server when I purchased my first two Sonos speakers and I have since purchased seven more speakers.   If I can’t find a solution without routing up to the internet and back down, I’ll be dumping this whole rig on ebay and finding another company.

They have completely lost my trust as a long-time customer, nor will I recommend them ever again.

The complete lack of support for local servers is biggest issue for me, I have thousands of songs on a NAS.  I dumped my receiver and media server when I purchased my first two Sonos speakers and I have since purchased seven more speakers.   If I can’t find a solution without routing up to the internet and back down, I’ll be dumping this whole rig on ebay and finding another company.

They have completely lost my trust as a long-time customer, nor will I recommend them ever again.

What NAS is it and what version of the SMB protocol is it using to share the local files/folders?

What NAS is it and what version of the SMB protocol is it using to share the local files/folders?

It is a QNAP TVS-863 with SMB 2, 2.1, and 3 enabled. 

The android application will periodically show the playlists under favorites, but the queue no longer shows the songs listed.  Additionally, the songs will stop playing or halt for few seconds.  This just started happening recently.

Right now I am using the windows application to build playlists, but I am running version 16.1 and loathe to update it based on my android application experience.

My comments above are based on the news that the windows application will not longer be supported and the web application will be the only way to play music on a PC.  If the speakers will continue to access the music locally via TCP 445, 3445 and UDP 136-139, the web application could be viable...but I do not intend on opening my firewall directly for a web-based application.

It is a QNAP TVS-863 with SMB 2, 2.1, and 3 enabled. 

The android application will periodically show the playlists under favorites, but the queue no longer shows the songs listed.  Additionally, the songs will stop playing or halt for few seconds.  This just started happening recently.

Right now I am using the windows application to build playlists, but I am running version 16.1 and loathe to update it based on my android application experience.

My comments above are based on the news that the windows application will not longer be supported and the web application will be the only way to play music on a PC.  If the speakers will continue to access the music locally via TCP 445, 3445 and UDP 136-139, the web application could be viable...but I do not intend on opening my firewall directly for a web-based application.

If the library share is using SMB v2 or higher you should see your local library in the mobile controller App and Web App too - I certainly see my NAS library share here… screenshots/animations attached.

I just want to put my review (app store) from the latest update here in as already so many of us feel the same way:

first of all - i m a customer and fan since 2011 and i ve several setups in my home: 1x arc - 2x era 300 - 1x sub (3rd gen) - 1x beam (2nd gen) - 2x era 100 - 1x one (2nd gen). also i m a software dev and system admin for about 25y (large international corporation). yesterday I downloaded the new update and it s a total failure and complete disaster! it s so bad that i m willed to sell all my speakers if it s not corrected or will be rollbacked. the new design is neither intuitive nor performant (iPhone 14 pro) and also key features missing like editing an actual playlist/cue, sleep timer, alarm, etc. also my favorites don’t work anymore, can’t mute, can’t switch between tv and music, nas settings gone and are not available, some services had to been removed and new connected, etc.

how is it possible that a big company like this „burn it down to the ground“ when the app before was nearly perfect?! where is the quality management, the testing rings, etc.? it s unbelievable - such an disappointment and like i wrote before - if this is the new way i m out and selling all my speakers. you can also read a lot of the same opinions in the official sonos community/forum. this is all a huge L

Fully agree. Have already sent a info mail within my business and private network NOT to buy sonos. I am als going to sell all my components and change.

Just seconding what’s being said. This update is a disaster that doesn’t work. Can’t create a queue or play more than one song at a time. I’ve been on the phone with Sonos for an hour and a half and they confirm this. I can’t play anything from only of my playlists on Apple Music and can select one song at a time from Apple Music. this is how Sonos launched the update. I’m ready to replace all my speakers and use a different system.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Just seconding what’s being said. This update is a disaster that doesn’t work. Can’t create a queue or play more than one song at a time. I’ve been on the phone with Sonos for an hour and a half and they confirm this. I can’t play anything from only of my playlists on Apple Music and can select one song at a time from Apple Music. this is how Sonos launched the update. I’m ready to replace all my speakers and use a different system.

It’ll all be fixed. Likely July by the looks of the forward planning they’ve mentioned... Frustrating but there is no way around it.

Sonos has turned to absolute dogshit. No issues for years, now I have speakers randomly dropping out of my system and I find them in a room on their own, and adding them back is an absolute ball ache. I can’t disable WiFi on one surround speaker, so it’s currently cocking up my WiFi. The other is on the Sonos network. I’ve had to reset everything numerous times. The apps crap with “somethings wrong try again” being the answer to everything. Support is shit. 

I'm done with this company. Fckn total waste of money. Whoever’s cocked the system that was working fine up with bs updates needs sacking instantly. 

100% leaving a negative review for this crappy system. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

It’ll all be fixed. Likely July by the looks of the forward planning they’ve mentioned... Frustrating but there is no way around it.

Yes there is, if you’re lucky. I retained components running S1 (a delight to use compared to what S2 has become), and I’ve only one component that can’t (won’t) run S1. So, I’m rolling my system back.

I’ll live with the Era 300 as a standalone device, and won’t add further components to the system.