Answered

Can't add Apple Music on Android Sonos app

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

105 replies

Can't believe it, received my first sonos product yesterday, a beam gen 2 and thought today I'd treat myself to a streaming service, after looking around decided to go for apple music as they could offer me 3 months free (would have preferred amazon but no 3 months offer for me).

Set everything up came onto sonos app tried adding my account but was just seeing a white screen??, decided to Google and came across all these issues everyone else is experiencing, I literally cannot believe it, how hard would it have been to put a message in the app saying they are experiencing an issue with setting up on android devices currently?.

I only use android phone and tablet so am stuck with a subscription I can do nothing with, what am I going to do, listen to music through my phone speaker lol.

Please hurry up and fix this, thanks. 

Thanks for the reply, just realised my lg TV has an apple music app so can still listen to music through the beam that way, it actually sounds OK, will do until hopefully it's fixed. 

In the Android app, when I try to add my existing Apple Music subscription.

I hit the :

“I’m already a member” button

And then I get 1 second of spinner. But then I get a white screen forever:

Forever white

And AFAIS I can only add Apple Music via the Sonos app on the phone. I have no iOS device. I own a mac and Android devices.
I’d have plenty of Linux devices.. But I guess those are anyway not being supported by Sonos (which is kinda sucks to be honest).

So

I have had the same issue. After being on the phone with Apple for an hour they said it was on the Sonos end. Meanwhile I am paying a monthly subscription for a service I cannot play on any of my speakers. PLEASE address this

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

I think the guy that maintains Sonos software is on vacation right now, and they don’t want to re-assign the other guy that writes software for the new products. :grinning:

The sonos android app still dishonestly indicates apple music can be added.  It can’t. I know this has cost them sales, at least to me.

More of a software bug, rather than an element of dishonestly, in my view. The AM service can still be added by using Apple’s own devices and then all works fine on every device, including Android controllers.

It’s just an ongoing issue with the Android controller by all accounts and it’s not clear to us users who needs to fix it, but the growing speculation at my house, is that Sonos have likely fired off a request to their partners and are still waiting for them to get their finger out and fix it for the Apple customer. 

Ok, I’ve given up. I’ve cancelled Apple Music for my household and subscribed to Spotify - it just works… for now.

I honestly don’t see myself purchasing any more Sonos speakers in future given the lack of responsiveness - this is not how you treat your customers.

Surely it should be “this is not how Apple should treat its customers”. It’s their app which evidently needs attention. 

Why is it always Sonos that gets the blame for their partners’ shortcomings?

Ok, I’ve given up. I’ve cancelled Apple Music for my household and subscribed to Spotify - it just works… for now.

I honestly don’t see myself purchasing any more Sonos speakers in future given the lack of responsiveness - this is not how you treat your customers.

So let’s get this straight - Spotify works fine with Sonos on Android.  Apple Music doesn’t work with Sonos on Android.  And your response is to refuse to purchase Sonos products?  

I would expect there is a business relationship here; both parties are responsible IMO. Sonos speakers are advertised as having Apple Music support (and continue to do so), even though it is horribly broken.

Anyway, it seems Spotify is better supported anyway (i.e. you can play music on the speakers directly from the Spotify app, which is super nice), so I’m happy :)

The only business relationship is Apple agrees to develop for the Sonos API.  Nothing else.  No money changes hands for Apple Music in the Sonos app, there are no kickbacks.  The amount of leverage Sonos has with Apple is zero. In fact, the only money Sonos pays Apple is to license Airplay on iOS devices, so why would Apple care if Android users are left in the lurch? 

I think one of the challenges is that the issue is an Apple bug that needs to be fixed, and they don’t perceive as much urgency to fix it as Sonos customers would like. I assume that Sonos has already investigated potential work around in their system to ‘fix’ the issue, but has been unsuccessful in doing so, and must wait for Apple to fix the problems. And given that so many Sonos customers use Apple Music as a source, Sonos is unwilling to publicly blame a partner. This unfortunately leads to many taking the assumption that it is a Sonos bug, and that Sonos is unwilling to expend any effort to fix it. 

This is, of course conjecture on my part, I’m neither an Apple or Sonos employee, but it does fit the business cases as I comprehend them. And we are rather unlikely, I would expect, to get confirmation from either company.

... why would Apple care if Android users are left in the lurch? 

Well, they’ve lost me as a customer for one. Been subscribed for years, using it on my mac, and then when available, on my android and Sonos speakers.

Exactly the point.  The end user has far more leverage than Sonos.  Which is why the advice given in this thread is to contact Apple directly, since they are where the problem lies. 

Userlevel 1

Hi there,

we‘re experiencing the same issue. 
I have an IOS device which works well with my Sonos speakers. 
My Dad bought also Sonos speakers but has an Android device. 
We share Apple Music and I have great sound while he cant use his brand new speakers. 

An Update and Software Patch on this issue would be appreciated as this is really unsatisfying… 

thanks and regards

Exactly the point.  The end user has far more leverage than Sonos.  Which is why the advice given in this thread is to contact Apple directly, since they are where the problem lies. 

Or vote with your wallet :joy:

Which is always the best option.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @casaper 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

We are aware of this new issue of being unable to add Apple Music to Sonos via an Android device and we are currently investigating it, though we have no estimate for when this will be resolved.

Unfortunately, the only workaround we know of is to use an iOS device to add Apple Music - no help to you, I know.

I will update this topic thread once we have fixed the issue.

Any update on this from the Sonos guys? 

Are they aware that something like 70% of all phones are android phones. Suggesting "use a friend's iPhone" is really not a realistic suggestion at all. As anyone who's ever used an iPhone would be able to tell you.  

These are not cheap speakers. The level of 'service' and 'support' they're providing here is just a joke.

Well just got home and unpacked my sonos arc, isn't this a disappointing first issue to run into. More disappointing that it's been an issue for many months apparently. You should not advertise Apple music support if you don't plan to support it. 

Worked for me.. Thank you! 

Anyone from Sonos able to give an eta for a fix?

Also adding my extreme disappointment. Have enjoyed Sonos with Android and Apple music for years and now it is broken and what do we do? Just sell all our Sonos and move on? So disappointing. 

Sonos, as a rule, does not provide ETAs, I wouldn’t hold my breath. 

Hey all,

This might be old news for some, but I’m happy to confirm that this issue has been resolved. :smile:

You should now be able to add your Apple Music accounts from an Android device to Sonos once again.

If anyone is still experiencing issues, please make sure you’ve fully updated both Sonos and Apple Music apps before attempting to add the account to Sonos.

If you still have issues, please get in touch with our customer care team.

I was able to add Apple music using a Samsung Galaxy S10 plus. Finally am able to enjoy apple music on my Sonos.

Badge

This outgoing issue steps over the line of unlawful advertising. Sonos advertise his products as compatible with iTunes, however they have an ongoing issue that fails to deliver the advertised. I wonder if there is any way for us users to get a compensation based on this misleading advertising...

What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is this supposed to mean?  The OP is having trouble adding Apple Music to Sonos on an Android device.  Which has less than nothing to do with frigging iTunes.

Read properly… I have mentioned "Sonos misleading advertising"! not iTunes. 

This outgoing issue steps over the line of unlawful advertising. Sonos advertise his products as compatible with iTunes, however they have an ongoing issue that fails to deliver the advertised. I wonder if there is any way for us users to get a compensation based on this misleading advertising...

What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is this supposed to mean?  The OP is having trouble adding Apple Music to Sonos on an Android device.  Which has less than nothing to do with frigging iTunes.

Read properly… I have mentioned "Sonos misleading advertising"! not iTunes. 

Uhhhh, you most certainly did mention iTunes.  Specifically - “Sonos advertise his products as compatible with iTunes, . . .”.

See the bolded above. 

Partial fix:. I create playlists and download the albums to my Android phone in Apple music, then do a search for the artist in Sonos app and it will bring up the album under MY MUSIC which I can then stream to my Sonos speakers. Bit of a pain but it does work. 

i have the same issue here. Tried to use my sisters iphone but it keeps saying it will use her apple ID for adding the service and i cant override with my own !

this is terrible ! 

Has there been any resolution to this issue that doesn't require an iOS device?

Not unless they’re keeping it secret.

And it’s not just any old iOS device required, it has to be a recent iOS device that can run the current S2 and Apple Music apps that are frequently updated to obsolete older devices.

I tried the workaround with two different iphones and it did not do the trick as the iphones default to their owners' Apple Id. Hence I have someone else's music library running on my sonos now...😡😭