Answered

Can't add Apple Music on Android Sonos app

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

105 replies

Could be.  They may be the same coder that does TruePlay validation for new Apple devices, too ;) 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

It’s possible that neither Sonos nor Apple is technically lying to us - maybe they just disagree about whose issue it is to solve. For example maybe Apple upgraded their security and told Sonos they would be required to change their access method (much like Sonos tells us customers we have to upgrade once in a while or lose functionality). But maybe Sonos doesn’t want to go to the effort of changing their software substantially at the moment, and feels that Apple made that change unnecessarily and should do something to fix the problem that they created. That leaves us Sonos+Apple customers stuck in the middle with both companies pointing the finger at the other.

It’s just a shame that neither company can be bothered to tell us what the problem actually is, or why they have chosen not to do anything about it.

And I agree that it’s not right for Sonos to go on offering to link Apple Music on Android when they know that it’s not working. They should immediately remove that feature until it works again (if ever), or at least put in an error message like “Function currently unavailable. Check (link) for further information.”

I just ran into this issue. Luckily my wife has an iPhone so my issue is resolved. But this is tricky. You have a platfrom (Apple Music) not working on a competing device (Android) while using a 3rd Party app (Sonos). There's probably not much incentive for Apple to escalate a fix for competing devices if the issue lies with Apple. They would rather you have an iPhone. Google would rather you use YouTube Music so they may not feel a need to escalate a fix. And Sonos (if the issue is not on their end) gets hurt the most as people blame their software and their reputation gets damaged. I can't see Sonos risking their reputation for the thought of, “maybe they'll switch to Sonos Radio". Sonos relies on their software and agnostic approach to varies sources.

Hi Corey, could you describe step by step how you managed to add your Apple Music Account to your Sonos App on your wife’s iPhone pls? Would be highly appreciated! Martin 

There was an app update and… you still didn’t fix the glitch. Are you even trying?

There was an app update and… you still didn’t fix the glitch. Are you even trying?

It is indeed the case that the latest update did not deliver every possible bug fix and requested enhancement. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

hi, for the ones that have tried the workaround of reauthorizing from an Apple device, I don’t have one but my daughter has an iPhone. she’s very wary of logging out from her account in the iPhone so I can login (there’s no way to separately login directly in the S2 app without actually log in the iPhone, right?). What will actually happen if I log her out? Will she lose any data/apps? will everything be as it was when she logs back in? Thanks

She won’t lose anything.  Any locally stored music will not be able to play when you log in, but that will go back to normal once she logs back in. 

Thanks. I have just done it and it worked. No need to log out from the iphone completely, just from Media/content and then log in with the apple music ID you want to reauthorize. Sorry if the question was too obvious but I’m not really familiar with iOS… this situation is really bad though, hoping for a quick fix. It’s not giving me a lot of hope to see the promised HighRes/Atmos support for Apple Music if the 2 companies cannot agree to fix such a serious issue for months. I manage all my library (offline) with iTunes/Apple Music , the only thing that’s keeping me to switch services to be honest… can’t avoid to get the feeling that for apple the Android/Sonos integration is just an afterthought :(

I still ‘suspect’ it is not something that Sonos are in a position to fix in their own software - it’s far more likely that Apple needs to fix the matter at their end, with their partners.

EASY FIX (Hope this helps for you too):

I had same issue with my Android phone and not being able to access apple music on Sonos system:

1. I removed Apple Music from Sonos app ( may not be necessary, but I did this trying to initially fix the problem)

2. Accessed Sonos through my iPad (running iOS 15.0)

3. Go to Settings / Services & Voice / + Add a Service, then add Apple Music to Sonos app.

Once I did this, I was able to access Apple music once again through my Android phone. 

Hope this helps 

Userlevel 1

Ok, I’ve given up. I’ve cancelled Apple Music for my household and subscribed to Spotify - it just works… for now.

I honestly don’t see myself purchasing any more Sonos speakers in future given the lack of responsiveness - this is not how you treat your customers.

Userlevel 1

Ok, I’ve given up. I’ve cancelled Apple Music for my household and subscribed to Spotify - it just works… for now.

I honestly don’t see myself purchasing any more Sonos speakers in future given the lack of responsiveness - this is not how you treat your customers.

Surely it should be “this is not how Apple should treat its customers”. It’s their app which evidently needs attention. 

Why is it always Sonos that gets the blame for their partners’ shortcomings?

I would expect there is a business relationship here; both parties are responsible IMO. Sonos speakers are advertised as having Apple Music support (and continue to do so), even though it is horribly broken.

Anyway, it seems Spotify is better supported anyway (i.e. you can play music on the speakers directly from the Spotify app, which is super nice), so I’m happy :)

Surely it should be “this is not how Apple should treat its customers”. It’s their app which evidently needs attention. 

Why is it always Sonos that gets the blame for their partners’ shortcomings?

I would expect there is a business relationship here; both parties are responsible IMO. Sonos speakers are advertised as having Apple Music support (and continue to do so), even though it is horribly broken.

The speakers support Apple Music. I play Apple Music on mine, using an Android Sonos controller. I added the service to Sonos using an iDevice, as recommended

Anyway, it seems Spotify is better supported anyway (i.e. you can play music on the speakers directly from the Spotify app, which is super nice), so I’m happy :)

That’s great. 

Userlevel 1

The speakers support Apple Music. I play Apple Music on mine, using an Android Sonos controller. I added the service to Sonos using an iDevice, as recommended.

I do not have access to an iDevice. And I initially set it up just fine using my Android phone. It’s only recommended now that it’s broken.

Anyway, I originally posted this for those of you stuck without music on your speakers; it’s been months and with no end in sight. It is cheaper and easier to just switch to Spotify (or something else) than replace your speakers.

Userlevel 1

... why would Apple care if Android users are left in the lurch? 

Well, they’ve lost me as a customer for one. Been subscribed for years, using it on my mac, and then when available, on my android and Sonos speakers.

EASY FIX (Hope this helps for you too):

I had same issue with my Android phone and not being able to access apple music on Sonos system:

1. I removed Apple Music from Sonos app ( may not be necessary, but I did this trying to initially fix the problem)

2. Accessed Sonos through my iPad (running iOS 15.0)

3. Go to Settings / Services & Voice / + Add a Service, then add Apple Music to Sonos app.

Once I did this, I was able to access Apple music once again through my Android phone. 

Hope this helps 

Thanks a lot Timothy - I’will try that !  

Userlevel 1

Exactly the point.  The end user has far more leverage than Sonos.  Which is why the advice given in this thread is to contact Apple directly, since they are where the problem lies. 

Or vote with your wallet :joy:

Badge

This outgoing issue steps over the line of unlawful advertising. Sonos advertise his products as compatible with iTunes, however they have an ongoing issue that fails to deliver the advertised. I wonder if there is any way for us users to get a compensation based on this misleading advertising...

This outgoing issue steps over the line of unlawful advertising. Sonos advertise his products as compatible with iTunes, however they have an ongoing issue that fails to deliver the advertised. I wonder if there is any way for us users to get a compensation based on this misleading advertising...

What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is this supposed to mean?  The OP is having trouble adding Apple Music to Sonos on an Android device.  Which has less than nothing to do with frigging iTunes.

Just wanted to let you guys at Sonos know that I’m still frustrated like many others.  

We still can’t use the expensive Sonos speakers with Android device…

You promised in advertising that it will work with Apple Music on Android. It doesn’t. You claimed this to be an issue of high priority.. it isn’t? 

please fix it or let us know that you’re not working on it. 
thx

I’ve been using Apple Music with Sonos on an Android device for years.  If I remember correctly, you need to add the Apple Music app to the device before adding it to Sonos or else the account won’t authenticate. 

Just to add another wrinkle to this: info on Sonos controllers says an “IOS device” will be able to add Apple music on Sonos, but that’s not true.  It has to be an iPhone, a Mac laptop won’t do it.  

Does your Mac laptop run iOS, or MacOS?

Userlevel 1

Hi Corry

We are aware of this new issue of being unable to add Apple Music to Sonos via an Android device and we are currently investigating it, though we have no estimate for when this will be resolved.

Well, at least I’m now also aware that it really is an issue, and not something about my setup…

Unfortunately, the only workaround we know of is to use an iOS device to add Apple Music - no help to you, I know.

I'm not sure: Is it possible to temporarily set up my Apple Music and Sonos app on someone else's iPhone and activate it from there?
Well, writing it out, makes me realize that it presumably is quite a hassle to do that with iOS, since it will ask me to fully take ownership of the other iPhone. The tremendous restrectionitis is the reason why I banned iOS from my consumerism.

I’d have a iPhone 4s in the drawer somewhere. It may even still run, but I presume it will not get up to speed with the updates needed for this. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I will update this topic thread once we have fixed the issue.

Well I guess that’s depending on release cycles of the Sonos app then. If your engineers found the problem soon, when could I assume their patch might get through to me via release?

Thanks.

Im in Australia and tried to do a chat with apple - would not accept my phone number as being valid no matter what combination of country code, area code I gave it!  

Userlevel 1

Nope. That no longer works. Android app is broken. Sonos is taking their time “fixing” it. It’s not clear to me the company is serious about resolving the issue.

My solution is no more Sonos products until this is fixed. I’d rather switch to speakers from a different manufacturer rather than commit myself to apple hardware. It’s more economical in the long run.

Any update on the fix for this “new” issue? 

It’s not fixed at the moment - I’m thinking it’s perhaps an Android or more likely an Apple issue - so it’s possibly a case of Sonos waiting for one of them to sort it, but of course Sonos will unlikely comment until the matter is actually resolved, especially if it’s a ‘partner issue’, but let’s hope it gets fixed soon.

Created an account just to post here… My sonos app has been totally fine with my apple music for the last few years, then suddenly today I tried to play “my station” and it wouldn’t work.  Lo and behold, I had to reauthorize my apple music and I have the same issue.  I uninstalled the app and reinstalled it, same problem.  This is super annoying.