Skip to main content
Question

Amazon Music no longer working

I am hoping that someone can assist with a major problem I have and this is not yet another 'new app problem'.

I have Amazon Music Unlimited connected to my (extensive) Sonos system. With the latest app update it has basically stopped working leaving me with limited misic. Behaviour is odd however mostly it just doesn't work and I get errors saying there is a problem with Amazon. However, every so often it does at least list some music, e.g a playlist. When I try to play it, it may work or skip a number of songs before finding one that plays. After that it will stop. If a speaker already had a music queue, you can hit play on the speaker and it works but stops after maybe 3 songs.

I have tried:

- uninstalling and reinstalling Sonos app

- re authorising Amazon Music

- other devices (same behaviour)

- contacting Sonos support (have an incident number but have to phone next week - will update if I find out more as I have sent diagnostics).

I attach screen shots as examples. I also have a video of it wildly skipping songs but don't seem to be able to upload.

Note other services work. Sonos Radio and Calm. Plus Amazon Music App itself works sweetly.

Help. I currently have a very expensive, unusable system.

Thanks

180 replies

Interesting. I can see and use Amazon as per usual, see recently played and Sonos favs. However, my ipad doesn't show album art on large pane, only thumbnails for tracks and albums under artist.

On android, very poor performance Sonos favs, recents just disappear after 10 secs of loading. No album art whatsoever, but can see library and after a long wait, the menu for artists etc loads.

As can't update library on NAS, can't add any purchased music as the update library feature doesn't exist.

I' ve not updated the Windows app on my laptop as it gives me the chance to edit queues, and importantly, clear queues which is important as if I start something on iOS abd them move to android or vice versa, it just doesn't show what is currently playing at all. 

Interested to see whether android operation will catch up with iOS. 

If you browse, or search, the Amazon music service, you can pin things to the Home Screen or Sonos Favorites, such as an Artist, Playlists, Albums etc. that’s perhaps what you’re seeing too. A lot though was imported from the S2 App when I first updated, same thing with the local library too.

Badge +1

Well that was a waste of time. The Windows app insisted it needed updating but then refused to do so, failing with the dreaded 1101 error even though the system is working perfectly and the Android app says the speakers are all up to date and working. 

I'll quit while I'm ahead at least a little. Voice control via Alexa works fine. I'll just have to forget my own playlists for a while.

Well that was a waste of time. The Windows app insisted it needed updating but then refused to do so, failing with the dreaded 1101 error even though the system is working perfectly and the Android app says the speakers are all up to date and working. 

I'll quit while I'm ahead at least a little. Voice control via Alexa works fine. I'll just have to forget my own playlists for a while.

The latest Windows App is here…

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/downloads

Perhaps ensure the Sonos Library Service isn’t running when updating.

Badge +1

The Windows update worked, thanks. However all of playlists have gone and my music library still doesn't show up on my phone app.

This is what I get on my app

Doesn't matter how long I leave the app open, the blanks never fill in.

Perhaps something on your controller is blocking the connection - do you have anything running in the background or on the network that may be blocking connections? Let me go get my Android tablet and I’ll just see if that’s working as I have not tried it recently. I’ll post back.

It’s working on my Android tablet okay - so I guess it’s not that version of their App - I can only think it’s something local getting in the way - did you authorise the usual LAN access etc. and is the App signed in?

I understand that a users ’playlists’ by the way are now stored under Sonos Favorites… you just need to hit the right arrow next to that category to view all Favorites. er… if you can get things working, that is🤔?

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

When the Sonos Favorites show up for a while, just show what I've saved from Amazon recently, no Sonos Playlists from what I saved pre-May that I can still see on laptop using pre-May gold app.

Most frustrating aspect is that whilst waiting for reistatement of library facilities and Sonos Playlists, some favs from Amazon would be a temp way of just having quick access to content, but 'favs' and 'recently played' disappearing means to play a couple of hours of preferred music means starting again every time... On to version 80.04.05 w/e 5th July but still basically unstable... 

The problem I'm having, is when I search an artist and I go into "Top Songs", I can only play one song at a time. Is this anyone else's experience or am I doing something wrong? 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

The problem I'm having, is when I search an artist and I go into "Top Songs", I can only play one song at a time. Is this anyone else's experience or am I doing something wrong? 

No, you're not doing anything wrong. When you load top songs and tap the three dots to the right you only get the option to pin (which has never worked for me) The options to replace/add/play etc. aren't there yet.

Still having issues, UK based.

Issue looks to be the Alexa Skill, every day I (and every member of my family) have to disable and enable again. 

Though this does not totally fix the issue, I can play a track, but half way through the Amazon app goes back to thinking Sonos is playing something from yesterday and at the end of the track it continues playing yesterday's playlist…

We are new to Amazon Unlimited and thinking we had done something wrong, as Spotify was seamless. This really needs fixing, top dollar equipment should come with top dollar service. Come on Sonos, fix this please.

Badge

Another UK user…….. I cannot get Amazon Music to play tracks requested from a search. Sometimes even its search doesn’t work!  If it searches by Artist it will sometimes give you a list of tracks it has found but if I choose one it will play something else completely unrelated!  

It refers to “Artist” as a “Station”  so I wonder if the data from Amazon is corrupted when it arrives at the latest Sonos app? 

This is all since the May Sonos update, on IOS apps both on iPhone and iPad

So still no answer or solution to this, even though apparently the question is 'answered'. I have spent more than enough time removing, updating, clearing cache reloading both apps, resigning everything up, factory resetting... Yes kudos to both Amazon and Sonos support, but unfortunately the issue clearly is not a setting or anything a user has any agency over. It's backend comms between the two systems. Whoever manages the links between APIs - I suspect that it's the  Alexa Skill cleanly connecting and remaining connected to the Sonos service that's at fault. Would be great if Sonos could advise Amazon devs on getting their s*** together

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Richard_24
Just tried Amazon Music search and it seemed to work OK.  Can you give me a search example that failed for you.  Just tried Miles Davis: Kind of Blue, So What which worked.  I’m in the US.  Maybe it’s a UK issue.  That would of course make no sense.

Badge

Richard_24
Just tried Amazon Music search and it seemed to work OK.  Can you give me a search example that failed for you.  Just tried Miles Davis: Kind of Blue, So What which worked.  I’m in the US.  Maybe it’s a UK issue.  That would of course make no sense.

Still having problems…….. Today, a search for Artist Harriett , track =  I really want to see you tonight shows the track name but plays something totally unrelated. Other days the track is not found at all!

Crazy!

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Corry P, this seems to be affecting mostly UK users. There's also a report from France. Is there anyone at Sonos and/or Amazon looking at this?

Richard_24

Still having problems…….. Today, a search for Artist Harriett , track =  I really want to see you tonight shows the track name but plays something totally unrelated. Other days the track is not found at all!

Crazy!

Isn’t the album and track called  “I’d really love to see you tonight”? Also Harriet is with just the one letter ‘T’ at the end (I think🤔?) See screenshot attached.

I was also able to find the Miles Davis track on the ‘Kind of Blue’ album - see attached screenshot too. I’m based in the UK by the way.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Carnesure (et al)

Welcome to the Sonos Community!
I’m sorry to hear of this issue you all are having with Amazon Music playback on your Sonos systems. I’d like to look into this for you all, but will need your help.

Please follow these steps if you are still experiencing this issue:

1. Recreate the issue in whichever way you can.
  2. Immediately submit a support diagnostic afterwards.
  3. In your own time, come back here and post the following:
    • Verify that you have submitted a diagnostic (please do not share the given number)
    • What exactly it was that you were trying to search/play
    • Your location (country is detail enough)
    • The current OS, Make and Model of your device (e.g. Samsung Galaxy S23 Android 12)
    • The version number displayed in the Amazon app (if you have it installed)
    • If clearing the cache for the Amazon app helps matters at all (please try the steps on this page, especially the highlighted part)

I look forward to hearing back from you all.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Corry P, in the past few days I started having issues with Amazon Music as well. When playing a station, some songs are skipped, like it was not able to play the song and then automatically jumps to the next one. I'm in Canada, so not an UK issue.

I've just submitted diagnostics. BTW, I've just upgraded to 80.07.05 on Android, but it was happening on previous version a couple days ago.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

I've just noticed that when it skips songs, it displays an error message on the good old Windows desktop app. The error varies and is one of these ones:

or

or

Neither the Android App nor the Browser App display any error messages, they just keep skipping to the next song.

Diagnostics submitted again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @furacaopr 

Thanks. Given that your Beam is ethernet wired, I’m finding it strange that the input buffer for the streamed music is never getting above 40%. Do you have a LTE (mobile/cellular network) internet connection, by any chance? Or a satellite one?

If so, I recommend performing an internet speed test the next time this happens - if it’s slow, that is the reason for the dropouts.

If not, then I recommend a reboot of the Beam, just to see if that helps.

In addition, I couldn’t help but notice that your Beam has it’s WiFi radio disabled - while this may seem sensible due to the ethernet cable, your surrounds and Sub rely on (or would like to) the radio in your Beam. Please re-enable WiFi on the Beam, permanently. You could even disconnect the ethernet cable after doing so (although it looks like you may have disabled 2.4 GHz on your router - if this is the case, please do not disconnect the ethernet cable, but I still think you should re-enable WiFi on the Beam).

Settings » [room with Beam] » Beam » Enable WiFi.

If none of this helps, please let me know - the buffer issue could be something that we need to address, as, if you have a “normal” internet connection I don’t see any reason for this behaviour other than things not working as intended.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @furacaopr 

I just took a quick look. Again, that error is not something I’d expect to see when ethernet is in use - it’s generally due to WiFi interference.

I’ll give you a chance to reply to my above post, though.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

The Encoding error makes no sense because it happens in the middle of a track and when the track is started over it’s likely to play all the way through.  Used to happen to me with Dolby Atmos.  Sent Diagnostics once and was told the Art broke connection.  Well if that’s the case maybe the error should tell me that.  

Encoding errors rarely happen here anymore.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Corry P, I have FTTH 1.5Gbps down and 1Gbps up. As my router only has 1Gbps ports it's capped at around 940Mpbs. Speedtest, Fast.com, etc. all seem fine.

I wired the Beam 2, so I would only use my 5Ghz Wi-Fi. But SonosNet creates issues with my network and STP, so I disabled it's radio. The surrounds are connected to my 5Ghz Wi-Fi and it worked fine before. BTW, this is a request I have for a future development: could we have a setting to disable SonosNet for good, even when wiring a speaker, pls?

I will disconnect the Ethernet cable from the Beam 2, enable again my 2.4Ghz band and enable the radio on the Beam 2 and check again.