Skip to main content
Question

Amazon Music no longer working

I am hoping that someone can assist with a major problem I have and this is not yet another 'new app problem'.

I have Amazon Music Unlimited connected to my (extensive) Sonos system. With the latest app update it has basically stopped working leaving me with limited misic. Behaviour is odd however mostly it just doesn't work and I get errors saying there is a problem with Amazon. However, every so often it does at least list some music, e.g a playlist. When I try to play it, it may work or skip a number of songs before finding one that plays. After that it will stop. If a speaker already had a music queue, you can hit play on the speaker and it works but stops after maybe 3 songs.

I have tried:

- uninstalling and reinstalling Sonos app

- re authorising Amazon Music

- other devices (same behaviour)

- contacting Sonos support (have an incident number but have to phone next week - will update if I find out more as I have sent diagnostics).

I attach screen shots as examples. I also have a video of it wildly skipping songs but don't seem to be able to upload.

Note other services work. Sonos Radio and Calm. Plus Amazon Music App itself works sweetly.

Help. I currently have a very expensive, unusable system.

Thanks

Hi @furacaopr 

Thanks again for trying those steps, and for the new diagnostics and videos.

I’m still seeing something very similar - the speaker is failing to get more than 50% of it’s buffer filled despite being ethernet-wired, and when you hear an issue, that is the buffer running out completely. I’ve passed the diagnostics and videos to an engineer colleague for further investigation.

Update to to my issue if anyone at sonos is following, tried the windows app this morning. Exactly the same issue with amazon music only.

Hi @MoPac  

Corry P:

Help me understand this better.  I have read in the past that music streaming does not require a 5GHz connection.  So it seems that 2.4GHz would be enough.

Yes. Though, as the quality of the music increases and as the number of speakers playing increases, the total can get on the high side of what 2.4GHz can handle. If there is interference too, or just heavy congestion, you may find 2.4Ghz isn’t enough.

I have had no connection issues here where the Xfinity router + one extender does band steering.  At times though I wish it presented two SSIDs with the same name but one 2.4 & one 5.

This is usually configurable in the router’s settings. It’s usually called something like band separation or band splitting. But yes - if you had separate SSIDs (broadcasted network name) and Sonos only had the credentials for one, you would be forcing Sonos to use that band. Note that Home Theatre primaries (sound-bars and Amp) do not connect to 5GHz WiFi, though they do have a 5GHz radio - they reserve it for communicating with satellite speakers.

The wall penetration advantage of 2.4 seems to make more sense yet Xfinity has, for some speakers, assigned 5GHz.

It’s a negotiation. The speakers will select the best (fastest) network they can, but if the signal is too low for use, they will seek alternatives. This usually ends up being 2.4GHz.

One example of this steering is with the Move stereo setup when I’m on the deck.  The SNR readings are 35 & 41 when connected with 5GHz.  No dropouts but would 2.4GHz give me a stronger signal… rhetorical question.

Probably, yes. If the 5GHz signal is too weak, however, they will switch.

In our old house there were two SSIDs shown.  I connected every audio system to 2.4 and never had any issues.  The systems were a mix of various manufacturers.  Of course all IP Addresses were reserved.

Have a look at your router’s manual - I would be surprised if you couldn’t separate the bands, but I don’t think it is entirely unheard of.

I hope this helps.

Hi All,

There seems to be quite a few people responding here, but none are providing the info requested:

Please follow these steps if you are still experiencing this issue:

1. Recreate the issue in whichever way you can.
  2. Immediately submit a support diagnostic afterwards.
  3. In your own time, come back here and post the following:
    • Verify that you have submitted a diagnostic (please do not share the given number)
    • What exactly it was that you were trying to search/play
    • Your location (country is detail enough)
    • The current OS, Make and Model of your device (e.g. Samsung Galaxy S23 Android 12)
    • The version number displayed in the Amazon app (if you have it installed)
    • If clearing the cache for the Amazon app helps matters at all (please try the steps on this page, especially the highlighted part)

I look forward to hearing back from you all.

If you are experiencing issue with playback of Amazon Music on your Sonos system, please provide the above information so we can assist. Thank you.

Hi All,

There seems to be quite a few people responding here, but none are providing the info requested:

Please follow these steps if you are still experiencing this issue:

1. Recreate the issue in whichever way you can.
  2. Immediately submit a support diagnostic afterwards.
  3. In your own time, come back here and post the following:
    • Verify that you have submitted a diagnostic (please do not share the given number)
    • What exactly it was that you were trying to search/play
    • Your location (country is detail enough)
    • The current OS, Make and Model of your device (e.g. Samsung Galaxy S23 Android 12)
    • The version number displayed in the Amazon app (if you have it installed)
    • If clearing the cache for the Amazon app helps matters at all (please try the steps on this page, especially the highlighted part)

I look forward to hearing back from you all.

If you are experiencing issue with playback of Amazon Music on your Sonos system, please provide the above information so we can assist. Thank you.

Submitted a diagnostic

Trying to play houdini eminem but has happened with every album I have tried over four days. Sometimes search error comes up. Sometimes it plays for a seconds and audio goes. When skipping to next track audio will also go straight away and it most cases then skips to the following track which Sometimes plays for a couple of second, often doesn't do anything.

United kingdom

Samsung flip 6 latest Android version. Also happened through windows controller windows 11 and partners s23.

Amazon version 24.15.1

Tried lots of things over the last few days, clearing cache, reinstalling and reauthorising both amazon music and sonos apps. Moved all the speakers into one room. 

Hi @Sammo123 

Thanks for the diagnostic - although you use a different email here than for your Sonos system, I was able to find it. I’ll forward it to my colleague.

Hi @Sammo123 

Thanks for the diagnostic - although you use a different email here than for your Sonos system, I was able to find it. I’ll forward it to my colleague.

Ah thanks. I think it was set up in my wife's name. Appreciate it! 

Just thought it was a bit odd that it suddenly started happening on weekend and sonos thought it was wifi interference. 

FYI I have a sky engineer coming out, but have been explicity told that with the newer Sky wifi max router , you are unable to change the router settings above and beyond the wifi name and password like you used to be able to. So the suggestions sonos support gave to try like manual fixing of a wifi channel appears to no longer be option.  I cant see how this is the issue, but worth you guys knowing as I'm sure you'll have other customers using sky broadband.

Hi @Sammo123 

I too live in the UK, and although I am not familiar with the newer Sky router, I can confidently say that all free routers in the UK leave a lot to be desired - any time a company is handing out tech and not asking for money for it, it’s going to be cheap. Remember that - as far as I know - none of the ISP companies actually make their own equipment - they will pay someone else to do so. Someone who needs to make a profit off the ISP in question. The routers are as cheap as can be while still claiming strong WiFi performance (for the TV ads). 

A quick Google search found the following statement from Sky: “We recommend using a Sky Wi-Fi router, but if you have a router that you're particularly attached to and you want to keep using, or have an existing Home Wi-Fi solution that you're happy with then no worries. Sky Broadband will work with most routers, though some may not be compatible or could be tricky to set up.” Source.

My point is that even when having Sky as your ISP, you are not forced to use their router. If you get one of your own to use instead, I do not recommend spending less than about £60. Personally, I got a TP-Link Archer C6 and am happy with it (a recommendation of my own and not of Sonos’, to be clear) - it has served me well with both a Virgin Media connection, and now a Hyperoptic one.

For this particular issue, however, I am now inclined to believe that it is not due to local conditions (like your router). I should get confirmation soon.

I hope this helps.

Hi @Sammo123 

I too live in the UK, and although I am not familiar with the newer Sky router, I can confidently say that all free routers in the UK leave a lot to be desired - any time a company is handing out tech and not asking for money for it, it’s going to be cheap. Remember that - as far as I know - none of the ISP companies actually make their own equipment - they will pay someone else to do so. Someone who needs to make a profit off the ISP in question. The routers are as cheap as can be while still claiming strong WiFi performance (for the TV ads). 

A quick Google search found the following statement from Sky: “We recommend using a Sky Wi-Fi router, but if you have a router that you're particularly attached to and you want to keep using, or have an existing Home Wi-Fi solution that you're happy with then no worries. Sky Broadband will work with most routers, though some may not be compatible or could be tricky to set up.” Source.

My point is that even when having Sky as your ISP, you are not forced to use their router. If you get one of your own to use instead, I do not recommend spending less than about £60. Personally, I got a TP-Link Archer C6 and am happy with it (a recommendation of my own and not of Sonos’, to be clear) - it has served me well with both a Virgin Media connection, and now a Hyperoptic one.

For this particular issue, however, I am now inclined to believe that it is not due to local conditions (like your router). I should get confirmation soon.

I hope this helps.

Legend thanks.

I found this solution works great. I had to go into the Alexa app. Go to “More” icon at the bottom right 

• go to skills and games
  • go to the bottom of screen Tap “Your Skills”
  • Locate “Sonos” icon & Disable skill
  • Go back thru your skills to re-enable Sonos. 
    this fixed my one song and done and the non responsive BS without Amazon saying it s cable issue or a Sonos issue and Sonos from saying it’s an Alexa or Amazon issue. 

• YOU DO NOT HAVE TO REAET SPEAKERS TO FACTORY RESET OR UNPLUG OR DANCE IN CIRCLES CHANTING. 
  • LET ME KNOW IF THIS HELPED YOU— what a party BUZZ KILL AY?

I found this solution works great. I had to go into the Alexa app. Go to “More” icon at the bottom right 

• go to skills and games
  • go to the bottom of screen Tap “Your Skills”
  • Locate “Sonos” icon & Disable skill
  • Go back thru your skills to re-enable Sonos. 
    this fixed my one song and done and the non responsive BS without Amazon saying it s cable issue or a Sonos issue and Sonos from saying it’s an Alexa or Amazon issue. 

• YOU DO NOT HAVE TO REAET SPEAKERS TO FACTORY RESET OR UNPLUG OR DANCE IN CIRCLES CHANTING. 
  • LET ME KNOW IF THIS HELPED YOU— what a party BUZZ KILL AY?

Thanks. I don't use the alexa app though 

Hi @furacaopr 

Looking at the diagnostic you sent while your Beam was not connected to ethernet, we noticed that your other room is using 5GHz to connect. Would you mind reverting back to that configuration and giving Amazon Music a test in that room? Please submit a support diagnostic again if you hear any playback issues. Thanks.

edit: changed Apple to Amazon

Hi @furacaopr 

Looking at the diagnostic you sent while your Beam was not connected to ethernet, we noticed that your other room is using 5GHz to connect. Would you mind reverting back to that configuration and giving Apple Music a test in that room? Please submit a support diagnostic again if you hear any playback issues. Thanks.

Amazon Music, right? I'm doing that now and I'll get back to you soon.

Hi @furacaopr 

Yes, sorry. Thanks!

@Corry P, I've just had the issue on my Play:1. Diagnostics ending on 018 submitted.

Thanks @furacaopr!

@Corry P , it happened again when playing an Album now. It went from track #1 to track #3, skipping #2. Diagnostics ending on 680.

My own experience was different and the Windows App goes through the playlist okay, but admittedly it’s slow and struggles a bit on my old windows PC, but it doesn’t ‘skip’ tracks - I find the old controller a bit sluggish - the PC is wired to the LAN in my case. I did a bit of a recording attached using the same ‘UK Hits’ playlist I referred to yesterday (sorry the quality isn’t good, but best I could achieve to allow it to be posted here).

Hi @furacaopr 

To be clear to everyone else, I am not saying that the following applies to anyone other than @furacaopr - I am not making sweeping statements about the issue you are all reporting (though the fact that we cannot reproduce does say something, I suppose).

In your case, @furacaopr, we’re still thinking it’s due to something local. Regardless of ethernet, 2.4 Ghz or 5Ghz, and regardless of which speaker you use, we are seeing connection problems to Amazon that result in the dropouts you hear. In addition, we are unable to recreate the issue in our own testing. The speakers are reporting multiple attempts to reduce the bitrate of the incoming feed in order to improve things for you, but this is not working.

Do you see any issues when streaming video, or during any other intensive use of your internet connection?

Would you mind - please feel free to say “no” as it will be a bit of work - factory resetting your standalone speaker and adding it to a hotspot from a phone/tablet? Please be aware that you would need two devices - one to run the Sonos app, and one to provide the hotspot. We’d really like to see the behaviour when using a different internet connection. The process would be as follows:

• Factory reset the speaker
  • Start a hotspot on device 2 (We’ll call your device with the Sonos app that you’ve been using device 1)
  • Connect device 1 to device 2’s hotspot
  • Open the Sonos app on device 1
  • When the app can’t find a system, opt to create a new one
  • Setup the speaker
  • Add Amazon Music and test playback
  • Submit a support diagnostic
  • And to get back to current config, reset the speaker again, disconnect device 1 from hotspot and set speaker up on WiFi.

Thanks.

Sure, will do. No other issues when streaming video, downloading large files, playing PS4 online, etc. No issues when listening to Sonos Radio as well.

@Corry P, I've done something a bit different from what you'd asked me: I turned on the Wi-Fi radio of my ISP's ONT/Router. So, different router, ISPs DNS servers, no switches, no MoCA, no cabling, nothing. Only the ISP, the fiber connection and the ONT are the same.

Then, I reset my Play:1, connected my phone to the ISP Wi-Fi and created the new system on it with the Play:1. I started playing an album from Amazon there. Again, it skipped the 2nd track, going from track #1 to track #3. Shuffle is off. Diagnostics ending on 678.

Now, I'll try to borrow my son's phone to do what you'd asked me.

BTW, there's an additional step I had to do before opening the Sonos app on device 1, which was to reset the app, clearing its storage.

For the past two days, I am also having a problem playing my music via Amazon Music (my main streaming music subscription that I have always used with my Sonos system). I typically listen to full albums, rather than playlists or individual tracks or stations. Here’s what happens when I try to play an album from my “favorites” list through the Sonos app:

• first song might play for a minute or a few seconds, then skips to the next track.
  • it goes through the track list, trying to play the next track. Sometimes no success, sometimes it will only play a few seconds, and sometimes it plays a few seconds in the middle of the song before skipping to the next track.
  • It does this until it reaches the end of the album - hardly any tracks are played.

Doesn’t matter which albums, as it affects all albums saved in my favorites list. I’ve tried removing the albums from my favorites, and just playing them from an Amazon Music search, but the result is the same.

I’ve deleted and reinstalled Sonos app. I’ve reauthorized Amazon Music. I’ve restarted my router. I’ve reconnected all Sonos products to my network. NOTHING works, and I basically cannot listen to any of my music.

Starting to think Sonos will never again be the enjoyable experience it used to be for years and years. Something has to change.

For the past two days, I am also having a problem playing my music via Amazon Music (my main streaming music subscription that I have always used with my Sonos system). I typically listen to full albums, rather than playlists or individual tracks or stations. Here’s what happens when I try to play an album from my “favorites” list through the Sonos app:

• first song might play for a minute or a few seconds, then skips to the next track.
  • it goes through the track list, trying to play the next track. Sometimes no success, sometimes it will only play a few seconds, and sometimes it plays a few seconds in the middle of the song before skipping to the next track.
  • It does this until it reaches the end of the album - hardly any tracks are played.

Doesn’t matter which albums, as it affects all albums saved in my favorites list. I’ve tried removing the albums from my favorites, and just playing them from an Amazon Music search, but the result is the same.

I’ve deleted and reinstalled Sonos app. I’ve reauthorized Amazon Music. I’ve restarted my router. I’ve reconnected all Sonos products to my network. NOTHING works, and I basically cannot listen to any of my music.

Starting to think Sonos will never again be the enjoyable experience it used to be for years and years. Something has to change.

This is my exact issue. Started over weekend. I thought i was going mad when no-one else had the same issue - but it's exactly this. 

This is my exact issue. Started over weekend. I thought i was going mad when no-one else had the same issue - but it's exactly this. 

And corry is looking in to it for us