Volume normalization

Show first post

142 replies

As reported in another thread, this works if the music being played on the Spotify app on the phone is sent to the player wirelessly by either bluetooth or airplay. And also will therefore work via wire to line in. 

And it works quite well, so there is a way to get this operating for those that must have it.

Upvote to Spotify and downvote to Sonos for not being able to do this. 

Bumping this to ask the question: given the above, normalisation by Spotify should work well if the phone is wired to Line in jacks on Sonos. 

Does it?

Normalisation in the Spotify native app should work, so long as the audio is rendered by that app, whether output via the headphone jack or over AirPlay. (Casting to Sonos players is different.) 

My question is to the implementation by Spotify in that case and whether it truly does the job well. I could test via line in one of these days since I don't have AirPlay, this is just the lazy way of finding out!

If it does, I will have to consider adding a phone as a line in source on a permanent basis.

Bumping this to ask the question: given the above, normalisation by Spotify should work well if the phone is wired to Line in jacks on Sonos. 

Does it?

Normalisation in the Spotify native app should work, so long as the audio is rendered by that app, whether output via the headphone jack or over AirPlay. (Casting to Sonos players is different.) 

To be clear, I’m only asking for normalization WITHIN one app: Spotify. It’s silly that my crappy Bluetooth headphones can normalize the volume between, for example, “I Drove All Night” by Cyndi Lauper and “Sledgehammer” by Fifth Harmony (two songs with vastly different gain and peaks) but Sonos speakers can’t...

I only use Spotify via Sonos speakers, using the native app and I echo all the why nots.

Actually, the quoted bit as to how well this seems to work for headphones is news to me, and almost seems magical. Though this is not a reason for Sonos to continue to not have it!

Does it?

Relatively new to Sonos, and have been frustrated that this feature isn’t available. 

I have had to give up trying to play classical music as background or to sleep to, as there are some songs I literally cannot hear at all, but another song can be so loud it will wake me up in a jolt! 

Come on Sonos.. please get cracking on this update!

They have your money. Why would they care?

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Is this for real?? Seriously Sonos hasn’t fixed this?? Come on! 

how many years are people gonna ask for this and do they even look at this forum or are we wasting our time?

after years of asking-please just add this important feature!

Badge

I am very surprised to see the volume normalization is not yet implemented. Very annoying and I hope Sonos will soon figure out how to add this feature. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The latest Sonos app has a new GUI I noticed.  It has a nighttime mode (I think that is what they called it) which limits volume, and can also boost voices for quiet night time viewing when the family is asleep.  It works well and takes care of the normalization issue.

That’s not new, first appeared with the Playbar back in the day.

The latest Sonos app has a new GUI I noticed.  It has a nighttime mode (I think that is what they called it) which limits volume, and can also boost voices for quiet night time viewing when the family is asleep.  It works well and takes care of the normalization issue.

Sonos needs volume normalization. Even services that have it such as Spotify pandora and Apple Music are not normalized when playing on Sonos.

I too would like to see this feature added.  Every so often a commercial comes in 50% louder than all the others.  Didn’t the FCC stop this once?  I would gladly like a feature that could be turned off for high dynamic music listening and on for watching TV or jumping between inputs.

common Sonos, very disappointing for a so called high end system. I have been listening to different playlist from spotify, i.e. spotify time capsule.  and the differences between the songs sound level is annoying, even such that I changed to my old fashion receiver and connected spotify via my phone and aux.  With tears in my eyes i have to say that i am very disappointed in Sonos that sound level normalization is not possible. I see no further reason to invest in sonos systems and return to my old fashioned Technics dolby surround system. The attitude of Sonos towards this issue exists for multiple years and,yet, still no solution for sound level normalisation for streaming services  from Amazon prime, Deezer, Soundcloud, Spotify etc.

I gave up and bought a rack mount compressor/limiter that my Sonos Connect outputs through via line level RCAs:

BEHRINGER SPL3220 

Things you have to do to maintain marital harmony…

Ar least it has a bypass feature for when I want full dynamic range. 

To be clear, I’m only asking for normalization WITHIN one app: Spotify. It’s silly that my crappy Bluetooth headphones can normalize the volume between, for example, “I Drove All Night” by Cyndi Lauper and “Sledgehammer” by Fifth Harmony (two songs with vastly different gain and peaks) but Sonos speakers can’t...

I only use Spotify via Sonos speakers, using the native app and I echo all the why nots.

Actually, the quoted bit as to how well this seems to work for headphones is news to me, and almost seems magical. Though this is not a reason for Sonos to continue to not have it!

To all the folks saying it isn’t possible: Why?

Wouldn't it be nice if we had a Sonos FAQ about why instead of a stone wall?

Adding my own “Please add volume normalization.” Its not Spotify’s responsibility. When I play Spotify thru Sonos, Spotify’s EQ and sound modulation is disabled. Sonos should have this option.

As far as I can tell, doing slight Google research, it’s a part of EVERY other lower-cost system. I’m not interested in buying the Sonos “name.” I want Sonos to be a speaker that functions just like every other cheaper version does—all the bells and whistles—just better.

And the whole “they don’t reveal when they’re gonna fix things” is, pardon my French, bullshit. No one else gets away with that. Why should the Sonos developers?

I definitely will not buy another Sonos system unless this feature is installed. /googles Roku

Please do this, this is such a basic thing that is needed. I'll be honest I wouldn't have bought this if I knew every time I played a play list it would go from dead quiet to screaming loud. Come on Sonos, sort it out. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

HOW is this functionality not built in yet? Everything else I own has normalization, but when I run things through Sonos, kiss it goodbye. It’s maddening on a TV to switch between streaming services, have your ears blown out, and scramble for the volume. Please fix this. 

Normalization between TV content and streaming content is not possible. Think about it.

Normalization between content on the same service is technically possible, but not implemented on Sonos.

Sonos needs volume normalization. Even services that have it such as Spotify pandora and Apple Music are not normalized when playing on Sonos.

HOW is this functionality not built in yet? Everything else I own has normalization, but when I run things through Sonos, kiss it goodbye. It’s maddening on a TV to switch between streaming services, have your ears blown out, and scramble for the volume. Please fix this. 

Not trying to promote Logitech Media Server :) but there are some more nice feature[...]

Just tried it and honestly that is NOT an easy set up, at all!!! I gave up after 3 hours of hassle and hair pulling. On top of that, it’s not a workable patch for users controlling their sonos solely via their android or iOS app :(

Not trying to promote Logitech Media Server :) but there are some more nice feature:

• you can enable ‘Don’t stop the Music’ feature. As soon as you approach the end of the currently queued up music, it will try to add some matching music to keep the party going. You can use it on your local library but also Spotify or Deezer
  • Excellent mobile web interface

Lot more… found this post today with some pros/cons: https://en.community.sonos.com/smart-home-integrations-229108/logitech-media-server-3rd-party-addition-for-sonos-devices-6835500

The normalization works indeed on local libraries [...]

You are what I call a power user man...I love you :D

They should hire people like you lol

Yes ridiculous that this option is not present{..}

Thanks for your tips kaosnews. I presume this works only with local libraries and not with any major streaming services? Or am I wrong thinking so?

Tschus 

The normalization works indeed on local libraries and it works for me with Deezer (don’t know it it works Spotify etc.). Downside to use Logitech Media Server is that you need to install this server on your computer or NAS (I use it on my NAS), but it got tons of features I miss with Sonos (I’m long time Logitech Squeezbox user, still use it btw).

Yes ridiculous that this option is not present{..}

Thanks for your tips kaosnews. I presume this works only with local libraries and not with any major streaming services? Or am I wrong thinking so?

Tschus 

Yes ridiculous that this option is not present - that’s why I use Logitech Media Server (LMS) with Sonos (UPnP bridge). Music volume is normalized (this is an option in LMS), the mobile site for controlling is excellent (Material Skin) and it contains a lot more apps. Also a big advantage is that you can control a huge local music library. I know this is not a path most people are willing to take - but sometimes you need to take drastic measures :)