Volume normalization

Show first post

142 replies

Huh, was completely unaware of that. Thanks, sir, for the additional information!
Normalisation has been operative for local library tracks -- after a rather incomplete fashion -- since the very earliest players. Memory isn't a factor. What's missing for tracks streamed from online services is the requisite gain factor to make the volume adjustment. Either it isn't in the stream metadata or Sonos has no agreed way to extract it.
I have to wonder if there isn’t enough memory available on older speakers to implement something like this.
Userlevel 2
Thanks AGH 🙂
Userlevel 1
At least for Spotify, their normalization does not cross onto their web player or third party apps/speakers/etc. Why? I'm not that smart and have no idea. But this is from Spotify's website:

What is Loudness Normalization and why is it used?

Audio files are delivered to Spotify from distributors all over the world and are often mixed/mastered at different volume levels. We want to ensure the best listening experience for users, so we apply Loudness Normalization to create a balance.
It also levels the playing field between soft and loud masters. Louder tracks have often been cited as sounding better to listeners, so Loudness Normalization removes any unfair advantage.
Note: The web player and Spotify apps integrated into third-party devices (such as speakers and TVs) don’t currently use Loudness Normalization.

Source: https://artists.spotify.com/faq/mastering-and-loudness#my-album-is-deliberately-mastered-to-have-some-tracks-softer-than-others

Could Spotify and Sonos work together to make it happen? Prolly? Hopefully they'll find a way because even when playing from a Spotify playlist, some songs are very quiet and some are very loud and fiddling with the volume control all the time is annoying.

Hopefully they find a solution!

Is that true Smilja? Idk how Spotify and Sonos work together.

Since Spotify is the source of the music, it would stand to reason that any volume normalization values would have to originate with Spotify.
Userlevel 2

“It's on the music services to integrate volume normalization....”

Is that true Smilja? Idk how Spotify and Sonos work together.

If Sonos isn’t interested, maybe I should reconsider.....

It's on the music services to integrate volume normalization which might not be a possibility on third party platforms like Sonos, due to technical or legal restrictions.
Userlevel 2
Struggling with the same here. This seems such a simple feature. Why is it not there yet?

It has been a year since this request. Has it been implemented?

Hi there, Tampadoug. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. I am happy to forward this along to the team for consideration and visibility. Thanks again for the feedback and keep it coming.

???????

Idk honestly how complex the solution would be to volume normalization, but I’m annoyed that Sonos has neither fixed the problem, nor even responded to multiple requests over such a long time span.

Somehow I managed to buy a house full of Sonos speakers in the last couple of years....wasn’t hard to accomplish even though I have an extraordinarily busy life.

If Sonos isn’t interested, maybe I should reconsider.....
Userlevel 2
Struggling with the same here. This seems such a simple feature. Why is it not there yet?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Volume normalization is very much needed, whether playing a spotify playlist or sonos playlist with songs across several app. This really needs consideration! I cant imaging it is a difficult feature to add. So annoying to constantly be adjusting volume all the time.
Userlevel 2
It has been a year since this request. Has it been implemented?
Userlevel 2
Please add this feature!
Userlevel 1
Fourth here ... same problem here ..
Userlevel 1
I third this...almost woke up the kids switching from TV to Spotify. Volumes vary from source to source but feel like my speakers should normalize for the fluctuations!
Userlevel 1
I'd just like to second this one. It would be really useful.
Hi there, Tampadoug. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. I am happy to forward this along to the team for consideration and visibility. Thanks again for the feedback and keep it coming.