Volume normalization

Show first post

142 replies

It can never be a feature of a controller or, more specifically, the players unless normalisation tags are provided along with each track. The services don’t offer this to Sonos, and the solution for local music library files has been half-baked for years and years.

Thanks for clarifying. I think I was thinking of Amazon Music.

TLDR:

Hi

Convinced normalization was a feature in the Sonos 1 app but has disappeared from the new Sonos 2 app. Would love to see it reinstated please. Having major volume issues with the new app.

Many thanks 

No, it wasn’t. Nothing’s changed in that regard.

It can never be a feature of a controller or, more specifically, the players unless normalisation tags are provided along with each track. The services don’t offer this to Sonos, and the solution for local music library files has been half-baked for years and years.

TLDR:

Hi

Convinced normalization was a feature in the Sonos 1 app but has disappeared from the new Sonos 2 app. Would love to see it reinstated please. Having major volume issues with the new app.

Many thanks 

Why would this butcher music? If the only thing this does is play around with gain, from one track to the next? 

Well said. The spotify audio metadata files do not lose any bit of audio data. All info are avail online, kindly refrain from expressing false opinions and stick to facts to build this thread on solid grounds. 

Be careful what you wish for! If you want the best audio quality then you probably don’t want to be using any automatic gain boosting or limiting. Probably fine for background music, but I would imagine it would be a poor compromise on hardware and software like Sonos which streams content from lots of different sources. Spotify know in advance what they are streaming as they benchmark every song as they encode it and send the volume data along with the music file. Sonos would no doubt have to use a very blunt instrument to achieve the same result with many different sources.

Please stick to factual truth, what you are expressing is wrong as for spotify volume normalization. Metadata files do not impact the audio quality rendering.

Add me to the list of folks clamoring for this.

One of the big selling points for me to go with Sonos was the ability to switch between different music sources with ease. So, I build playlists/queues using Spotify, Bandcamp, my own local library and a couple other sources. I love being able to switch between these sources so a normalization that worked across different sources is what I’m looking for.

I only have a playbar so far, but really want to invest in more Sonos equipment for around the house, this is literally the single issue that gives me pause to invest further.

Seeing how long this discussion has been going on, I really think Sonos needs to either get off the pot and do whatever it takes to add this feature or they need to let us know it’s not possible for whatever reasons so that we can move on from the discussion.

Userlevel 1
Badge

This is a no-brainer

SONOS; you have to fix audio normalization, period! We want to listen to playlists without a volume roller coaster-experience. This is way past due and should not be an issue in 2020.

I’m invested in these products and I think you’ve done a great job, except this issue; and it’s not a small one. You’re bleeding costumers and new ones will think twice when they hear about this.

Please don’t give us another generic answer. Give us real and honest communication; and whatever you need to do - get it done now!

I’m usually a composed character but this ludicrous drives me crazy. Probably because I’m an engineer and appreciate thought through-solutions; which is why I bought your products in the first place.

get it done!

Omg. This issue has been around for years and as someone that changed my ecosystem over to Sonos its extremely disappointing to say the least. 

The issue happens with any of the streaming services. Has Sonos even given us a status update on this? As a company whose sole focus is audio, why hasn’t this been addressed yet?

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Sonos needs volume normalization. Even services that have it such as Spotify pandora and Apple Music are not normalized when playing on Sonos.

+1

Spotify tracks with old tracks make quite a mess of low and high volumes

There used to be a FAQ where Sonos said they take note of the iTunNorm tag from iTunes. That FAQ, which also dealt with ReplayGain, has evidently been pulled.

Since I won’t let iTunes infest my PC I’ve never tested iTunNorm, but ReplayGain does work, after a fashion.

Apple has already done the work.  Volume normalization is built in to iTunes and Apple Music.  But it doesn’t work on Sonos.  I’m not an expert, but it sounds like the heavy lifting is already done.  

Or perhaps how difficult it might be. 

It has been a year since this request. Has it been implemented?

It’s been a lot more than a year since this request was made.  People have been asking for it since the beginning of Sonos.  The fact we don’t have it yet gives you an idea how much interest Sonos has in fixing it.

I second this. Please add volume normalization. It is very annoying when you have to change volume to hear the music. 

• 106rallye: I did send the issue simultaneously to the radio stations, where the problems exit, when I sent that original message.  Of course they want to point the finger the other direction :)   Kind of normal these days.  Thanks for your reply.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I’m not saying they couldn’t, but in my opinion problems should be eradicated at the source. The source in this case is a radio station/broadcast chain that maybe could alter their settings if they know there is a complaint. Otherwise precious programming capacity by Sonos would be used to cure someone else’s faults - which they may not even be aware of.

@106rallye Not true. Radio stations employ compressor/limiters in their broadcast chain. So it’s not necessarily *only* the output of the studio mixer that commands loudness. It can be addressed anywhere in the stream, even post the compressed signal.

The point is that 

1. loudness variation between music sources exists
  1. we have all invested heavily in Sonos equipment
  2. Sonos is in a position to create active compressor/limiter software that can address this
  3. Is Sonos responsible? No! Can they mitigate this? Yes...
Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@ronalds872  I can understand the question for nomalisation for services like Spotify or your own collections. Both collections must have been brought together for a lot of different sources - hence possible differences in volume.

The differences in volume you experience are based on a choice by the people making the radio program. Your remark should be adressed to them, not Sonos.

I’ll add my 2 cents as well.  I listen to talk-radio a lot thru Sonos - when the program switches from news, talk, weather, phone in listeners I am constantly chasing the volume.  I’m not only surprised, but disappointed, that Sonos with all it’s hi-tech knowledge built in to it’s system has not, or will not, address this issue.  Please put your technological acumen to work on this - very distracting.

I second all of the said above.
Couldn’t believe it that it isn’t a thing yet on Sonos Devices...

If you create a playlist that contains a wide variety of music, RMS peak normalisation would really be a neat feature. Today’s music is leveled out to maximum amplitude, whereas songs from the 60/70/80s had so much more peak varation.

Please, Sonos, fix this! 

Hi @Edward R: Even though all the other comments already summarize my disappointment about missing volume normalization, I’m adding another comment to emphasize the importance of this feature. 

Sonos is positioning itself as a “premium” version of an Alexa speaker, but without having a working volume normalization when listening to Spotify, it feels very dated and is certainly not something I would ever recommend to a friend. I can understand that implementing volume normalization may not be trivial, but it is handled on almost any other solution and is a de-facto standard for playing music through Spotify. For a $200 option Sonos speaker, it’s embarrassing that this feature has not been implemented after hundreds of requests from paying customers and reason enough to make a change to a different brand.

PLEASE FIX THIS ISSUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RIDICULOUS

UNACCEPTABLE 

BASIC USER OPTION FUNCTIONALITY

COME ON SONOS - RESPOND

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And for anyone interested, a link to a topic on the same issue that I started two years ago, that got no replies, less than two hundred views, and was closed down!

https://en.community.sonos.com/wireless-speakers-228992/volume-normalisation-across-albums-sources-for-consistently-high-quality-sound-6764671

Normalisation has been operative for local library tracks -- after a rather incomplete fashion -- since the very earliest players. Memory isn't a factor. What's missing for tracks streamed from online services is the requisite gain factor to make the volume adjustment. Either it isn't in the stream metadata or Sonos has no agreed way to extract it.

@Edward R : can you confirm the first sentence in the above quoted? And if so, further, what exactly is done for local library tracks by Sonos in this direction, and what is not being done?