Support Windows 8 RT for Surface Tablet and Windows Phone 8 for Mobile Devices

Badge
This is not a full windows 8 platform but will work new surface tablet and Samsung and others plan to use this OS which is not fully windows 8 compatible. It would be very helpful if sonos would support this as the tablet looks promising.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

941 replies

would it be so hard to just compile an ARM version of the Windows controller as a stopgap for Surface users? That would at least give some headroom for a Modern app to get built and published to the Windows Store.

I just bought a Surface 2 and love it.  Bought the Sonos at the same time w/o research and find I have to return it.  I see Sonos plans to do something but...? If you're going to actually do something I would suggest giving a timeline however rough.  When people tell me they are going to do something and don't say when I keep moving.  Don't you? 
Very reasonable question.  I just purchased Surface 2 and a Sonos Play 1.  I assumed--  and now I have to return the Sonos.  The corporate "we're not ready to share details" comment speaks volumes.  Very parental; very unprofessional.  5 months ago?  Really?  
Well... any new details after another 5 month without any official comment? @sonos: do you ignore the wishes of your increasing number of customers with wp hardware on purpose? If so, just tell us... can't be that difficult.
When will we see a native Win8 app?  With over 200M Win8 licenses out there, is it not time? The lack of an app is very disappointing and I will not example my basic setup until I see a commitment by Sonos.
I have still not bought into the Sonos system, much related to the lack of a Sonos App for WinPhone8. My next PC will be the SurfacePro2. I just won't start my Sonos experience by buying a 3rd party app without support from Sonos. This relatively small matter has been under consideration for quite some time now.
Dear Santa,

Please place the Sonos developers on the naughty list, if the WP app isn't available soon.
Most things are and should be forgivable, this isn't one of them.
I have posted also a request on Teufel and Bose. The first System with Windows rt & Phone App i will by. Sorry for my Bad englisch. greetings form germany
Userlevel 2
I am on hold from buying anymore Sonos products until you get a Windows 8/Phone app. WHAT is the hold up? If Facebook, a FREE service, can get a good windows app out, why can't you???
Userlevel 2
I will not purchase anymore Sonos products until you provide a Windows 8/Phone app. Even Facebook, a free service, has provided a good Windows app. Why can't you????
agreed especially considering you've already had 16 months to create such an app
5 months seems like a long time since an official update.
Sonos Team: Let me add my support for this request. You have a wonderful product line, but you're leaving leaving a rapidly-growing market segment out in the cold. The old dedicated controller hardware is no longer available. And we don't want to lug out our full Win7 and Win8 laptops, or fire up our workstations, just to play some tunes on your great system. What we want is just the same convenience iOS and Android users have, namely, the ability to use our mobile devices of choice to control our Sonos networks. I understand your reluctance to service what is still a third place OS in the mobile space. But please check out the latest tech news: Surface2 is sold out everywhere this holiday season; Walmart and Best Buy can't keep them on the shelves. And Nokia (soon to be MS) Lumia phones are starting to lap the iPhone in market share in several European and South American countries, and their market share is growing fast even in the U.S. In short, this is not a lagging market any longer. On the contrary: these are early adopters--people willing to buck the default consumer choices (think: traditional land line stereo systems) and try new things. Many of them could become fanatical advocates for your system, if you'd just be willing to invite them in from the cold. Do it! Do it now!
Whats the status on this? Support are needed for Win Phones!
Please tell us that that you have a Christmas present for all of us who are waiting for a Windows 8 RT/Phone 8 app. This has been under consideration for longer than it takes my wife to decide which shoes to wear for a party.
I have just purchased a Nokia Lumia 1020 phone and love it apart from the lack of a dedicated Sonos App. I have been checking this page for Months. Still no update from you guys. Poor show. I wanted a change from iOS and Android but the only thing putting me off was the lack of Sonos support but I decided to bite the bullet and go WP8 anyway in the hope that Sonos will eventually do the right thing and bring out an app for the ever-growing Windows Phone adoptees! Make it Happen. Please Pretty Please!
Would this work while they are still developing the app. Using the Sonos as a Play To DNLA destination:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/craigf/archive/2013/04/08/using-sonos-as-a-play-to-destination-from-withi...
I am a huge SONOS supporter and have influenced 5 friends to purchase your technology, always with the caveat that support for Windows is less than desirable and my primary concern and source of dissatisfaction. Support for Windows Phone and RT are definitely something that would complete your current offering. Very willing to participate in Beta releases of solutions for those devices and provide feedback.
Badge
Any progress in the last 5 months!!!! Come on guys where is the Win8/WP8 Sonos controller app?
create the app already, I purchased 2 speakers and cannot use my surface RT. I am a little upset.
Schade, dass es noch kein App für Windows Phone 8 gibt. Ich hoffe doch, dass die Entwickler dieses App zur Verfügung stellen können - oder verbietet  Microsoft die Veröffentlichung?     
I'd love to be part of the beta test program for the Windows 8 RT controller!
Userlevel 1
Badge
Does the fact that this request is still Under Consideration and not in a Planned status mean that no progress has been made in developing a Windows App range?

I'm waiting on an App decision from Sonos to expand my investment with the purchase of a Sub, PlayBar and a few more Play:1's to displace my Yamaha RXA1010.

Can Sonos at least respond with status or is the plan to just ignore community requests from customers who are obviously interested in your products? 
Come om there must be something you can convey to your customers. On your web Site you state that you support any Smartphone, tablet or computers. For my part I will not invest in any more products (playbar, 3 ones) until an app is available.
+1 for  Windows 8 app
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
any news for this ?  We really need this 🙂

Its 5 months now, after that long you guys should really tell us something .

Thanks