Answered

Sonos S2

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

180 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

So we are 24 hours or so, into the brave new Sonos world what are we thinking ? I feel a little disappointed if I am honest . I was expecting/hoping that Sonos would have given us a shiny new jewel of an app, something that looked good on the screen something to want to play and explore music with but mmmm! The colour of the new S2 app is awful It should be the gateway to exploring music it's not ! Once past the colour you get to step back into the 90s because that's what it feels like almost a retro app ,  it's all a bit to basic . The S1 app I can only think that the colour and writing on it is designed to make you feel embarrassed to use it in front of people, it looks like it was designed and built on a windows Vista computer found in a cupboard ! in all honesty Sonos this should have been a feast of new gifts to us but in reality it feels like you just slapped a coat of paint over it .

Yes - well put. S2 is really disappointing and underwhelming.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

So we are 24 hours or so, into the brave new Sonos world what are we thinking ? I feel a little disappointed if I am honest . I was expecting/hoping that Sonos would have given us a shiny new jewel of an app, something that looked good on the screen something to want to play and explore music with but mmmm! The colour of the new S2 app is awful It should be the gateway to exploring music it's not ! Once past the colour you get to step back into the 90s because that's what it feels like almost a retro app ,  it's all a bit to basic . The S1 app I can only think that the colour and writing on it is designed to make you feel embarrassed to use it in front of people, it looks like it was designed and built on a windows Vista computer found in a cupboard ! in all honesty Sonos this should have been a feast of new gifts to us but in reality it feels like you just slapped a coat of paint over it .

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Note that it looks like it's not just splitting your system and having them function as before but as two separate systems.

The ones that stay on S1 actually get reset and you lose access to all playlists etc. you may have created over the years.

Is the second part the reason for stating the first part? Any other way that splitting is more than just splitting, leaving the S1 playing as it has all these years?

And the second part can’t be nice - though I assume that this applies to local NAS playlists and not, for example, those made in Apple Music?

Hi Kumar, the first part is just an observation that the split isn't just a ‘Split your systems and carry on as before - but with them unable to link to each other.’ decision.

Effectively you start with all speakers running S1 (11.2) and then tell it which speakers you want to keep as part of S1.  Instead of splitting them off as a separate system with a separate App with its settings intact, it resets them all - but still ends up running the same software it did before the reset. A way of carrying on as before would have been good - especially if you have more than one speaker staying  on S1 (factory resets always a last resort but never really an issue if you had more than one speaker as the reset one had the setting reapplied when it was added again).

I haven't done the split as I have no reason to yet and the loss of the persistent time bar function is another form over function decision I could do without.

Also, my ‘in' to Sonosnet is my Connect and that is only S1 compliant.  I don't know how the change process would handle that - would I then lose connection to all speakers and then be asked to put a cable into another one (not easy atm) or ask me to resort to a WiFi setup.

And yes, it's local Sonos Playlists (the ones we have no proper way of backing up) that are lost.

Cheers.

I have dBpoweramp Music Converter for windows. I think it is the same, but i dont know how to set it up to convert from 24/96 to 24/48. Can you help me?

Use the dBpoweramp Music Converter, set to convert from FLAC to FLAC, then add the Resample DSP Effect and set the frequency to 48 KHz.  

Thanks jgatie 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

The new S2 app no longer persistently shows the elapsed and remaining time for the track being played. It does show the progress bar but the times appear when the track starts and then disappear after a couple of seconds. Same thing if you touch the screen while a track is playing - times re-appear, then quickly fade.

I really dislike this - I like to be be able to see at least the time remaining without having to continuously be tapping the screen. Very annoying. A step backwards by Sonos here.

I think I’m better off just leaving the whole thing on S1 for as long as the legacy 5’s stay functional.

Quite.

Or until there comes something in S2 that is incentive enough for you to dump the legacy kit. Running split systems in one home will get tiresome very quickly in most use cases.

Note that it looks like it's not just splitting your system and having them function as before but as two separate systems.

The ones that stay on S1 actually get reset and you lose access to all playlists etc. you may have created over the years.

Is the second part the reason for stating the first part? Any other way that splitting is more than just splitting, leaving the S1 playing as it has all these years?

And the second part can’t be nice - though I assume that this applies to local NAS playlists and not, for example, those made in Apple Music?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi. I’m just wondering if I can update 2 of my S2 compatible speakers (Play 1’s) to S2 for use in a bedroom and keep my 2 Play 3’s on S1 to group with with my 2 gen 1 Play 5’s in a bigger room?

Yes, you can. For operating a split system, and how to set it up, see this article on split systems

Thanks Ryan and sjw. I think I’m better off just leaving the whole thing on S1 for as long as the legacy 5’s stay functional.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hi. I’m just wondering if I can update 2 of my S2 compatible speakers (Play 1’s) to S2 for use in a bedroom and keep my 2 Play 3’s on S1 to group with with my 2 gen 1 Play 5’s in a bigger room?

Yes, you can. For operating a split system, and how to set it up, see this article on split systems

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

From the official post:

“With S2, Sonos speakers now have support for high resolution audio, 24-bit, 44.1/48kHz for FLAC/ALAC only. This support is for local music libraries shared from computers and network attached drives.

Interesting to see how this applies to Roon?

I’ve got my fingers crossed that a roon update is all it’ll take, but not holding my breath. 

I have dBpoweramp Music Converter for windows. I think it is the same, but i dont know how to set it up to convert from 24/96 to 24/48. Can you help me?

Use the dBpoweramp Music Converter, set to convert from FLAC to FLAC, then add the Resample DSP Effect and set the frequency to 48 KHz.  

FYI, I checked Roon with 24/48 and 24/96, it is down sampled to 16 bits, maybe Roon needs to make adjustments in a newer software release.

Yep, I noticed the same thing, and I’m hoping it’s just a roon update that’s needed. It sounds like people are seeing up to 24/48 but not 24/96+ through the Sonos app, so that’s a good sign (hopefully).

I made a test. I put in my local library a 24/48 file and was played without issues. I put a 24/96 file as well and was not even possible to see it as a file in Sonos. So, I will update my Sonos library to make all my files 24/48

Can you tell me how you update your Sonos library to make all yours files 24/48?

Manually with dBpoweramp Music Converter for Mac. To be honest, I have few hi res music, so it was not a big issue for me. I have a raspberry pi 4 with Samba for Sonos, only with music that can be played with Sonos, and a NUC with all hi res music for Roon. Hope that works

Badge

FYI, I checked Roon with 24/48 and 24/96, it is down sampled to 16 bits, maybe Roon needs to make adjustments in a newer software release.

Yep, I noticed the same thing, and I’m hoping it’s just a roon update that’s needed. It sounds like people are seeing up to 24/48 but not 24/96+ through the Sonos app, so that’s a good sign (hopefully).

I made a test. I put in my local library a 24/48 file and was played without issues. I put a 24/96 file as well and was not even possible to see it as a file in Sonos. So, I will update my Sonos library to make all my files 24/48

Can you tell me how you update your Sonos library to make all yours files 24/48?

Manually with dBpoweramp Music Converter for Mac. To be honest, I have few hi res music, so it was not a big issue for me. I have a raspberry pi 4 with Samba for Sonos, only with music that can be played with Sonos, and a NUC with all hi res music for Roon. Hope that works

As mentioned above had issues “updating” so uninstalled the controller app and then the download gave me the 12 version of the controller

https://support.sonos.com/s/downloads?language=en_US

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

That settles it for now then. If streaming services remain 16 bit I'll stay all on one system and use Bubble upnp with HEOS if I want to stream in Hires.  Cd  quality streaming does sound excellent on existing players so it would be an experimental bonus for me and not worth the hassle. If all my players were modern I would probably consider it.

Badge

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

From the official post:

“With S2, Sonos speakers now have support for high resolution audio, 24-bit, 44.1/48kHz for FLAC/ALAC only. This support is for local music libraries shared from computers and network attached drives.

Interesting to see how this applies to Roon?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Badge

Here is an excerpt from Sonos web page, so I stand by what I said before:

”In addition to new features, usability updates, and more personalization moving forward, Sonos S2 enables higher resolution audio technologies for music and home theater.”

In fact is says S2 enables, it didn’t say will enable. And I still believe Sonos tried to make a hype by being cryptic, and that let ME down in terms of MY own thoughts. I am responsible for thinking I would get what I didn’t get, and I make responsible Sonos for not being clear in their web page.

My apologies, I missed that.  However, higher resolution support is also in the S2 release, just like the grouping feature.   Still not seeing any significant lack of concrete discussion.  

Agree, as I said before, I’m a very happy Sonos user here.

FYI, I checked Roon with 24/48 and 24/96, it is down sampled to 16 bits, maybe Roon needs to make adjustments in a newer software release. I was wondering if Sonos S2 would be supported by Roon (because it seems its a new platform entirely), but I am happy that Roon still keeps playing music to Sonos.

I like a lot of people have two libraries, one with hi res files for Roon, and another one with Sonos compatibility.

Let’s wait for more to come from Sonos, and happy listening!

”In addition to new features, usability updates, and more personalization moving forward, Sonos S2 enables higher resolution audio technologies for music and home theater.”

In fact is says S2 enables, it didn’t say will enable. And I still believe Sonos tried to make a hype by being cryptic, and that let ME down in terms of MY own thoughts. I am responsible for thinking I would get what I didn’t get, and I make responsible Sonos for not being clear in their web page.

My apologies, I missed that.  However, higher resolution support is also in the S2 release, just like the grouping feature.   Still not seeing any significant lack of concrete discussion.  

Badge

I think their Marketing guys are not the sharpest, starting with the brick situation to the fact that trying not to commit by releasing anything clear, they tried to make a hype that was not worth. Just as you said, if a feature is not in the app, so be it, I’m happy with the product, but they are at fault by not describing anything concrete, especially now that S2 has launched

Actually, the only concrete feature discussed was the grouping feature, which is in the current release.  Everything else was speculation by posters here.  Are we really going to hold Sonos to be responsible for not addressing every item the posters on here dream up?  

In fact it says S2 enables, it didn’t say will enable. And I still believe Sonos tried to make a hype by being cryptic, and that let ME down in terms of MY own thoughts. I am responsible for thinking I would get what I didn’t get, and I make responsible Sonos for not being clear in their web page.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

To update on Android:

FIRST you have to update the existing Sonos app from the Play Store. It updates the app to be called Sonos S1. 

NEXT you have to Check for Updates under System / System Updates

Your system will then update to 11.2.

NEXT, go to System and you should see System Tools either there or under System Updates.

This prompts you to check for S2 compatibility. If your system is S2 compatible, it will prompt you to update to S2, which starts with a new app from the Play Store (which you won't find with a search). 

Once you have the new Sonos app installed, log in and go to System Updates again to update your system to S2.

Then delete the S1 app if you have no requirement for it. 

I have i0S, not Android -but it worked by doing it backwards, S2 first.    I didn’t understand why the update at first took me to S1, so I searched on the iOS app and found the S2 app.  Downloaded that and it worked fine immediately with my 3 Sonos Ones.  I then noticed that when I closed the S2 app it was telling me my Sonos Ones needed an update.  It then updated the original Sonos app to S1.   Told me my components were compatible with S2 though and I should/could only use that.  I then simply deleted the S1 app.    So it looks like you can first install S2 (as opposed to updating to S1 first).