Sonos no longer support IOS streaming

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

83 replies

Thank you

Just got the message Sonos will no longer support IOS devices . Looks like it’s time to sell my speakers .

The way I see it, when I first bought my system it came with a WIFi bridge. If I wanted to listen to my stored music I had to share the folder on my PC with Sonos and set my computer to NOT sleep. Eventually Sonos eliminated the bridge and allowed music to be played from the device using the app. 2 great advances by eliminating excess hardware, closing a potential security breach and extending the life of my PC by allowing it to sleep. Now, many years later we have reverted back to the original antiquated option. Not sure why some on here are praising it. Now I find myself using my JBL Flip speaker and the Sonos has just become a giant unused paperweight. BTW on my JBL I can play songs from my phone and stream as well. Why would I want to use a system that just became MORE difficult to use??

For many users it is still better to have a wired device. It was purely for marketing reasons that the requirement was dropped.

Playing from a device has significant disadvantages compared with a separate music library,, especially if stored on a NAS drive.

These were extra choices,  not advances. Your comments display a lamentable ignorance of the facts 

But welcome to the forum. Glad to have you on board after all these years.

I use my phone as well, but there is nothing on my phone that isn’t in my library as well, which Sonos still has access to.

correct me if I’m wrong but if it’s a file physically on your phone, it physically resides in your iTunes library, which Sonos can still access.

Given that fact, what has anyone truly lost here? I agree, my Springsteen live recordings are essential to me, and are only on my iPhone and in my Library, but I’ve always had Sonos access those files from my library, not the phone itself. I don’t see how that isn’t an option for everyone in the iOS ecosphere.
You’re not wrong, assuming that they sync their music to their desktop machine. Not everyone does, but I, like you, do.

That’s for your “opinion” your comment about my ignorance tells me all I need to know about you. Have a nice day.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

in the process abandoning those iPhone users who were early adopters of their excellent product and hence do not have support for the AirPlay feature in their speakers and amps.
This takes the prize for the funniest comment so far. Early Sonos adopters bought their equipment before playing from a mobile device was possible on Sonos.

John,

The “On this iPhone” feature was introduced in 2012.

Of the current Sonos product line-up, the Play 5 was introduced in 2009, the Play 3 in 2011 and the PlayBar and Play 3 in 2013.

Sources: Wikipedia and Sonos

I would suggest that anyone who purchased a “Play” product in 2012 (and for a time thereafter) would have had access to this feature and could certainly be classified as an early adopter of the “Play” product line.
As I am listening to my garden speakers (controlled by Sonos) it would be very inconvenient to go inside and up a flight of stairs to start or change the playlist. We listen to music at dinner. Do we have to go to the computer room to change the playlist? Not having ever used Sonos from my desktop I am not sure if it keeps playing when the energy saver comes on and puts the computer to sleep or does that have to be changed.

Ignorance is lack of knowledge. That is what your comments demonstrated. There are vast areas of knowledge about which I am totally ignorant. There is no shame in that.

Hugely disappointing. If I had known this I would not have bought Sonos. I certainly recommend to people to avoid Sonos. I am in the midst of creating Google Music Play playlists with my thousands of songs and now have to keep that in sync with iTunes. The thrill of learning curve and perpetual hassles await.

Google Play Music should import your iTunes playlists automatically.
Huh?
The iOS controller will still work in the same manner as always. The only change will be that you can’t play music stored on it. If your music is anywhere else, i.e. on a desktop’s hard drive, an NAS, or streamed, the iOS controller will work exactly as it always has.
I didn't know that
Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Thankyou Bob It’s nice to hear somebody else who is not happy about this ,other than earlier posters being up in arms about the fact that some people should feel aggrieved that they will not be able to play their library from the I phone .

Hi Stewart,

You’re welcome! The removal of a useful feature that has been available since 2012 is a legitimate concern, and your post expressing that concern was more that justified.

I have found another thread on this subject which is much more active, and on which the discussion is much more balanced and thoughtful.

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/upcoming-changes-to-on-this-iphone-or-ipad-playback-6826585

I suggest it would be worthwhile for you to re-post your comments there.

Thanks again for your thoughts on the matter.

Bob
I am pretty sure that the energy saver puts the Mac into sleep mode and the drive is not longer accessible.
And there are settings on each kind of computer ( you didn’t specify which kind) that allow you to tell the hard drive not to sleep.
There is no Chrome requirement for uploading to Google Play Music. You can use Google Music Manager:

https://support.google.com/googleplaymusic/answer/1075570?hl=en
Nut you want the hard drive to sleep. That is the purpose of energy saving.
So, set up an SSD driven NAS. Or use a thumb drive, if your router allows such a thing. Or set up a free Google Play Music account. This is all covered in the main thread here:

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/upcoming-changes-to-on-this-iphone-or-ipad-playback-6826585
Not likely to buy an SSD just because Sonos took a function away. Not sure what I would do with a thumb drive. Don't believe I can fit 5,000 songs on it. I am moving to Google Play Music and it is a major hassle to get the songs over to it and get the play lists set up properly and keep synchronized with iTunes. Don't want to use this forum to discuss the limitations of Google Play Music, but that is what I will make work.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I do not understand your troubles with Plex. According to https://www.plex.tv/ad/itunes-replacement/ you just point Plex to your iTunes library. This is also my experience with Plex: install, point it to the relevant library, let it update the database and it’s good to go. I see no difference with between the free version of Plex and the Plex Pass-version I am using.

As most users are her to help, please elaborate on where Plex (or Google Music Free for that matter) goes wrong for you and someone on this forum will help you.
Userlevel 1
Back to vinyl I reckon!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Well I can't see that happening, if you've ever worked in any electronics product development you would know the massive amount of work and lead time this would take, for such a niche product too. All but one of Sonos current speaker range offers Airplay 2 so there would not be a bright future for such a product. And as discussed in this and the countless other threads on this, there are alternatives,

I did see a Raspberry Pi solution too. That would be quite cheap
https://www.mitchellbusby.com/2018/06/09/airplay-sonos.html
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
l do think you are being insulting to the developers at Sonos. They tried to offer a feature that was available from Apple and got caught when Apple decided to concentrate on airplay. They were not the only manufacturer to get caught out by this, but at least they offered options. To think this was a deliberate ploy is disingenuous.

Good luck with the deviant stuff, all fur coat and no knickers was the best quote I’ve heard about them.
Userlevel 4
Badge +7
I'm sorry but I can't believe this thread is even still a thing.

If your Sonos speaker supports Airplay 2 then use that. If your Sonos speaker does not support Airplay 2 then either store your music on a NAS drive or upload it all for free to Google Play Music or pay for an Apple Music subscription which includes it.

All these options are far superior than the play from iPhone option in the Sonos app, especially the NAS drive and Google Play/Apple Music options which will actually allow you to use your iPhone as a controller instead of the source device and therefore have a much more reliable method of streaming which isn't dependant on your phone's wifi signal or battery life.
Has anyone found a solution to the iOS streaming issue?

Because I use the Sonos to stream music that I created into my meditation studio, it's a work issue! So, I invested 4+ hours yesterday on the Sonos workarounds. And after midnight, here's what I found...

You can stream from your iphone using Apple Airplay.

Pick track. When it starts playing, touch the name of the track that shows at bottom of screen. The track window maximizes, and you'll see the airplay icon uner the volume controls. Click that and you'll see the list of compatible devices, inc. Sonos speakers. BUT Sonos won't show up, unless you've got "at least one Sonos One in your system" - or others on their list, which all seem to be robot enabled.

FYI: Sonos has four workarounds for streaming from iOS. I had these results (windows8 plus)...
  1. Apple Air Play. Not available for Sonos Play:1 speakers. Need to buy a Sonos One ($199), to make all your other Sonos speakers work.
  2. Upload your tracks to a streaming music service. In the Sonos app, Apple Music shows: Artists, Albums, Songs, Playlists, Compliations, Recently Added. Great. But click on any catgory, and it only lists 10% of the music in my iTunes library. And, It doesn't show the music I created - which is already in my itunes library and playlists. If you are a maker, you cannot stream the music you created.
  3. Stream from an online music service’s catalogue. The music I uploaded to SoundCloud playlists don't show up in the Sonos App. Just shows error message, "you haven't set-up any playlists yet."
  4. Play your tracks to Sonos from a Mac, PC, or NAS drive. Windows 10 PC downloaded okay. But, again, SoundCloud playslists don't show up. And, Itunes playlists don't show up - just a list of all the individual songs purchased from Apple. My original music and playlists - unavailable.
My last hope is #1. Run down to Best Buy today. Buy a Sonos One. Hope my sound system works again.