Sonos iOS update is shockingly bad - first impressions

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

138 replies

Agreed. Truly terrible “upgrade”, with so much competition from the likes of Amazon and Google Home how have they managed to get it so wrong?! Completely unnecessary change.
Agree - what a crock of crap. The saying "if its not broke dont fix it" comes to mind. After this people will flock to Amazon Alexa for the simplicity ....with the new sonos one that could be why they've done it?
Userlevel 4
Badge
Words fail me on how much I *HATE* this latest update. I have 7 rooms. I used to be able to tap 'Rooms' and switch between them with one finger. If I do this now it does not change the room, but reverts to the wrong (original) room. Now I have to tap 'Rooms', add the room I want to listen to - ensuring that it *AND* the previous room are selected, then touch "Done". Then I have to click 'Rooms' again, de-select the previous room - leaving the new room selected, then click 'Done'.

THIS IS NOT AN IMPROVEMENT IN WORKFLOW. Is *anyone* listening at SONOS ? Was this ever tested ?

I used to recommend SONOS to all my friends wanting multi-room music. With the current state of the UI I can no longer in good conscience recommend this to anyone. My wife has simply stopped using SONOS, she just can't make the new app do what she wants.

If there was an easy way to select local content on Google Chromecast audio I'd be selling my SONOS on craigslist tomorrow.
You know, I'm not crazy about this new look and feel of this update. I can get used to it, but worse is the non functional, frustration inducing room grouping feature that has been changed. Sonos made several steps backwards in what looks like an attempt to fix something that was really not broke. But now it really is broke and is crushing (in the negative meaning) the whole sonos experience. It will not switch rooms no matter the sequence of rooms deselected and rooms selected. it just doesn't work . Come on Sonos, say something... Something this bad needs attention rightaway! Just own it and let us know you are fixing it immediately...
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
The valid comments and criticisms have now been aired here fully so now please Sonos don’t let this continue. Acknowledge “issues” and tell us customers you are going to address them ASAP.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
I have to agree with the masses-I have been an avid Sonos user for about 4 years now. I have 19 units and have always recommended them to friends.

Until now.

This update is just brutal. It’s absolutely Horrible. I don’t understand why something that worked so well had to be scrambled just for the sake of an update. My wife won’t use it anymore. I’ve had about a week to play around with it now and it’s a real pain. So UN-intuitive. I’ve had major updates to my iPhone, Mac, TVs etc...never have I had to struggle this much to try to navigate.

The look and feel of this version is a huge step backwards.

PS. It had been about 2 years since I’ve wrote on this forum and it took this garbage to make me hunt down my password to comment.
Userlevel 1
All I can say is it took me half an hour to feel comfortable with it and use it with ease. I just go back to the Sonos bar and thereafter nothing much is different from before. Leaving aside the colour scheme, the Rooms screen looks like the old version, the Browse looks like the sources bit of the old main menu, and 'More' has the rest of it. The search works the same and looks the same.

'My Sonos' I'm not so happy with, but it's OK.

All these familiar screens are just a button press on the Sonos bar away.

I am utterly baffled as to why people are finding this difficult.

1. Does it take you more or less steps to accomplish things?

2. What have you gained?
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
I must agree, that the app has some usability issues - like most App users, I have a high expectation that it should be intuitive. A few things I would share. What is my flow for playing music ? For me, it is 'Room' then 'Source' - I know where I want to play it and then I chose what to play. But the app starts with My Sonos, with large icons for 2 playlists and 2 Sonos Play Lists. At the bottom of the screen, I have to use the small central icon ' Rooms'. Then I have a white on near-white experience, and I have to remember this is a list of rooms & select one. Then I go back to the small icon bar at the bottom, to chose either My Sonos or Browse, both which are to the left of Rooms. I'm accustomed to moving Left to Right, so this is discordant. My preference would be for the home page to give me a flow of Room, then Source / Favourites on a screen that supports what I'm trying to do.
The other area for improvement, is the arrow-head-up and arrow-head-down that open & close dialogues. They're so insignificant on the page, that I don't notice them. The down arrow in the top-left corner is so close to the Mobile /Wifi details, that I just don't see it as part of the screen dialogue. Make it much more prominent
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Beware of the ones and twos of people on this site that seem to be out of touch with the majority of people that have taken the time to give their views on the horrible update.

It seems there are a “couple” Sonos apologists...
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
It IS familiarity and muscle memory.

Not it's not, it's about a redesign that significantly less efficient and user friendly than the previous one, which - let's be clear about it - wasn't all that great either. Don't think a single controller in the history of sonos every was. But at least they were relatively reasonable to use.

People that use now playing as their default screen for example - and their appear to be quite some of us - need to click a lot more than before, while often jumping from top of the screen to the bottom and vice versa.

Take the case of switching to another room. In the past that ment clicking on the little dropdown of the current source and selecting another source. Eh voila, you are good to go. Want to change the configuration while you're at it. you can do that too.

In the new model I suddenly have to click the little arrow at the top, then select 'rooms' at the bottom, and from there start scrolling to the speakers of interest, to achieve the exact same thing. That's not an improvement.

Regardless of people knowing how to do it or even getting used to it, it's stil a lot less efficient than simply using that dropdown on the now playing screen. And turn and twist it like you want, that sucks.

And in regards to that scrolling. How is fitting only 2,5 instead of 5 speakers in a single screen an improvement? We don't need to see what's playing first before we can select the right speakers. That can done afterwards. Instead we now need to scroll to do sowhere previously we didn't.

The white design sits in the same boat. Not only does it pose issues in with dimmed lighting, it's also less clear which items are most important or belong together. On that same speakers screen for example. I currently have a bigger block at the top telling me 'no music'. Underneath it, it says kitchen, but that those 2 things go together is hardly visible.

Again, that sucks and it a typical example of form over function. And that for a rather questionable form at best.

That you fail to acknowledge all this as well as several other elements, and instead constantly blame people for pointing this out, is pretty sad.
I absolutely HATE the new app version. It's ugly, cluttered and downright confusing! The old app was a joy to use. The new one is painfully bad. Sonos, please swallow your pride and bring back the previous version.

I was just about to buy two new Sonos speakers (already got three), but with the current app, it will not happen. Sonos, you ruined a beautiful thing!
Userlevel 1
Badge
I am using DAILY the new app since it has been released and EACH time I struggle to find my way to group speakers or switch room...
This is clearly not intuitive and the UEX/design is AWFUL.

You need to reduce using a small chevron to access the menu
The bright light colour
No quick link to settings
The bookmarks aka My Sonos where you spent your time scrolling left right to find something
The flow to group
The flow to switch room...

I installed the "heavy" client on my laptop to be able to stop using the app!
This is a joke...
Userlevel 1
Badge
Another unhappy SONOS Android app user. The most recent updated Android app is very unfriendly to use. Too many clicks and ease of use has been erased. Fortunately, I was able to revert back to the previous version.
I'm a first time poster, so it's got to be bad. The interface for iPhone iOS is horrible. Please give me back the old interface. I like to see "ALL" my favorites not just some and hate clicking on see all, and is so confusing from switch music from room to room. The white interface is no good either. I have been a long time Sonos owner and it's never been this bad. Trust me I've tried to get use to it, so has my wife...but it's not intuitive. I give up!!
It states to swipe up anywhere to view the navigation bar but if you swipe up on iPhone, the Apple control centre is displayed. You used to be able to swipe right when playing music to access other music sources, this is no longer available.
Userlevel 5
Badge +8
I’ve posted this elsewhere but will post it here as well because I’m so annoyed. Every time I start the app up it causes my NAS drive to spin up. It’s looking for the artwork for my library playlists every bloody time. I really want the old version back.
Userlevel 4
Badge
only updated on one mobile device and WILL NOT DO SO ON OTHERS
"It's new, you just need to get used to it." YEAH RIGHT! This update is horrible. How did it get the OK to be released? My Connect Amp keeps dropping off the Rooms Setting list. When it does appear after a power cycle, I can start playing music. But after a short while the Connect amp will drop off then Room Settings list and I lose control of it. The buttons do nothing on the Connect Amp at this time, no pause and no volume control. I have to power cycle it to get it to turn off. Can I roll back to the previous versions? Does Amazon run SONOS now?
How could Sonos get it so wrong! Up until now I have found the apps so easy to use and very easy to change settings. Now I'm stumped - cannot get the right music to right room. Please can we have a remedial update!! Desktop programme doesn't seem as bad however so I'll have to use that until Sonos get the ios app sorted out. A Sonos fan for 4/5 years.
Badge
There is an old adage that if it ain't broke then don't fix it. Unfortunately I have noticed over the years Sonos pumping out updates for the sake of it. This one takes the cake and echo everyone's sentiments. The fundamental underlying product hasn't changed at all yet the Sonos marketeers are tying to have us believe that they are giving us an improved experience. Well they ain't.

Change back please Sonos.

If you want ideas for ways to improve your product don't look inhouse, just read these bloody forums!
Userlevel 1
Badge
I sm not a fan of the new Sonos app either. Its not very intuitive, the old ap wad so easy to select rooms, group them and select music. This new version is a mess. I am forever bouncing sround to select rooms and music.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
I have to agree with the masses-I have been an avid Sonos user for about 4 years now. I have 19 units and have always recommended them to friends.

Until now.

This update is just brutal. It’s absolutely Horrible. I don’t understand why something that worked so well had to be scrambled just for the sake of an update. My wife won’t use it anymore. I’ve had about a week to play around with it now and it’s a real pain. So UN-intuitive. I’ve had major updates to my iPhone, Mac, TVs etc...never have I had to struggle this much to try to navigate.

The look and feel of this version is a huge step backwards.

PS. It had been about 2 years since I’ve wrote on this forum and it took this garbage to make me hunt down my password to comment.

I have 15 and feel the exact same way. A friend who just bought a couple for his new house called to ask me what was going on with the software.
Userlevel 1
The Sonos app has become unusable. I don't see any upside to the new interface, and every task I try to complete takes more steps than before. There are a few things I haven't figured out how to accomplish. Worst of all, my wife hates it, too, and she was your biggest fan. I'm pretty open minded and will try a new interface with hopes it brings improvements, but I am not seeing any upside here. Please offer an option to revert.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
All I can say is it took me half an hour to feel comfortable with it and use it with ease. I just go back to the Sonos bar and thereafter nothing much is different from before. Leaving aside the colour scheme, the Rooms screen looks like the old version, the Browse looks like the sources bit of the old main menu, and 'More' has the rest of it. The search works the same and looks the same.

'My Sonos' I'm not so happy with, but it's OK.

All these familiar screens are just a button press on the Sonos bar away.

I am utterly baffled as to why people are finding this difficult.

There is a reason you are the ONLY one saying one thing while everyone else is saying the exact opposite

It takes way more work to do the same thing

Also if you were to give a Sonos newcomer the old version and the new version-are you seriously saying that it would be better or faster with the new version??? Didn’t think so
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Just an incidental point. Several of the posts I have seen complaining about My Sonos seem to suggest the poster is unaware of the Edit button. Just thought it might be helpful to mention.

I am not suggesting that solves all the issues with My Sonos.

Wow. Just spotted that edit button. So OK, I have a "favourites" list that contains a couple of albums, a couple of playlists, and nearly 30 artists. By default, this is listed on "My Sonos" as:
1. All favourite albums
2. First eight (alphabetically) others (AKA "artists")
3. All favourite playlists
4. All Sonos playlists (note: these are not my favourites, they're just "playlists I created for various reasons but probably don't use much")

With some use of the editing button, I can go and "edit" my favourite artists, either by "renaming" (no idea what that does) or "deleting" (which removes the artist completely from my favourites list and bumps the next favourite artist alphabetically onto the "My Sonos" screen). Still looking for that "let me pick my favourite eight favourites" button.

Look, I get that people like their playlists, people probably have a different or "more evenly distributed" album/artist/playlist breakdown of favourites, but I'm struggling to see what the "My Sonos" screen gives me, other than learning to hit "My Sonos->Other-see-all" to get to my favourites list (vs "browse->music library->artists"). Oh well, we learned the difference between "play all" (replace stopped queue and play) and "play-all->play now (first action on the play-all button menu or app equivalent)" which obviously does "insert into queue and play album followed by most of yesterday's listening". We can learn how to navigate this new app. BUT WE SHOULDN'T HAVE TO learn an app, it should be intuitive.