Question

Rubbish new update, what do others think ?

• 10 September 2016
  • 82 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

82 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Imagine a car maker that replaced the gear shift with paddles on the steering wheel, radio volume control on the steering wheel as well as the radio, made the wipers operate automatically when it rains, turned the lights in poor light, automatic gear box therefore no clutch...

Then again options have been moved to the three dots whilst tapping the item executes a command. To get some consistency with other apps?

Imagine a car maker that made you put the ignition key in the ignition socket by the steering wheel rather than having to insert it in the trunk.
The queue has always been a key design feature, way ahead of iTunes, great for a bunch of people sharing music. I never had to read a manual and no one who came over to my house ever did. It was elegant design. Now, I give the controller to a guest and I need to run them through a tutorial about the entirely counter-intuitive thinking someone has written in to this. Eg no music is playing so you choose play now for a song and then add to end of queue for the next one, the first song plays, but it's at the beginning of an old queue and the second one you chose is at the end!! Before, play now put the song at the end of the queue and add to queue went after it.
Manual or no manual, this update looks like it's trying to make Sonos more like iTunes rather than sticking to its own identity, and, for me, that's not working.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Manual or no manual, this update looks like it's trying to make Sonos more like iTunes rather than sticking to its own identity, and, for me, that's not working.

Yup. That's exactly what they're doing. Following instead of leading. If this is the first effort after their internal shakeup, I'm not encouraged.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
I really liked the old way. I really hate that now one errant finger changes what's playing. I can see that others might like it though. I think it should be an option.
Agree 100% - update is pretty rubbish all round. The entire reason I bought the SONOS, besides the sound quality, was the fact it just worked as I wanted - it played music. When I wanted it to. I could control the experience as I wanted to.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
The multi room feature now sucks, you have to dig down the bottom to get it and every time i want to switch rooms, to have different music playing in each it seems to move the music with me, wich is NOT what i want to do.

Give us back V7 - seriously, don't fix something that isn't broken.

For everyone out there - DO NOT UPGRADE if you can avoid it.

You've posted onto the end of a year old thread about a prior version of the app (v7) where the queue management was changed.

for any comments regarding v8 I suggest making a new thread or add to this one https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/now-available-the-new-sonos-app-6791306
Badge
It’s really terrible. I like the macOS app where you can see all the players and the music and the playlist at once. The iPad is wide enough for all this info. Now you need 3 tabs to pause a player in another room. You could do it in one if all the players where in the picture at the same time.
There are also some bugs as well. Getting a lot of queue 1002 errors when trying to use the new functionality.

That's just network issues that are often exposed by the full reboots the update process requires. You need to do a full network restart.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
There are also some bugs as well. Getting a lot of queue 1002 errors when trying to use the new functionality.

That's just network issues that are often exposed by the full reboots the update process requires. You need to do a full network restart.

You may be right, but every sonos device and all other devices on my network have preassigned ip addresses.

You may be right, but every sonos device and all other devices on my network have preassigned ip addresses.

So? It's still a network issue and not a bug.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2

And you know this how? Several others reporting the same issue after 6.4. Only thing that has changed on my system. Been rock solid for a few years. I'm betting there's bugs in 6.4 causing this.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Thanks to all, will update reviews on all my purchase sites. 🙂

And you know this how? Several others reporting the same issue after 6.4. Only thing that has changed on my system. Been rock solid for a few years. I'm betting there's bugs in 6.4 causing this.

I know this because we get the same bug reports after every update release and it's ALWAYS network issues uncovered by the reboots but hey what do I know, I've only been here for 8 years or more...
@seob: did you try a full network reboot?

@The LHC: if all IP addresses have been preassigned, what are the potential network issues remaining that could cause this?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Queue Destruction! Don't update your Sonos! Select a track and get ready for the entire artist catalog of 200 songs to kill your meticulously built queue. Hopefully the skilled employees of Sonos are listening- pun intended!!! Help!!!!

What do you want help on? Writing puns?
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
@seob: did you try a full network reboot?

@The LHC: if all IP addresses have been preassigned, what are the potential network issues remaining that could cause this?

Yes I did a full network reboot. Still having a few dropouts. It may be network issues due to the update, but I think there was something different about this one. Never had these dropouts before after an update, and I've been using Sonos for several years as well. So even if it is "just network issue" they were caused by the Sonos update.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
I'd be curious if the update defaulted the network channel on some installs. It happens sometimes. My Sonos can't use the default (6 I think), it conflicts with the WiFi. Had to set Sonos to 11, but I haven't had such a problem with the update so I don't think it was an issue here. I have 3 access points and two extenders on one and no network issues at all. Only stinky UI so far.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
A note to everyone here that is serious about getting the UI back to where it works for you (as it probably did not so long ago) - post tasteful but sincere reviews on 6.4 to everywhere you've made purchases of Sonos gear. Here, on the community site (controlled by Sonos) we are only howling dogs. On the retailers websites, we are bombs. Without this market influence, we are just a lot of noise.

Cheers!
Someone on another thread wondered if the update had changed the default wireless channel. It might be worth checking if the Sonosnet wifi is separate from your home wifi. Using channels 1 and 11 is the best setup. Channels 1 and 6 or 6 and 11 is also OK but not quite as separate.
p.s. That last post was for @seob, and the other thread I referred to was actually this one! Thanks @soveryfaraway for the suggestion. I had several pages open and forgot to refresh. Doh!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I agree but there are aweful lot of threads. Shouldn't Sonos combine these into one thread.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Hopefully we are not just voices blowing in the wind!
Hopefully we are not just voices blowing in the wind!

The answer my friend...
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Jeeez. I have been here and with my Sonos equipment for quite some time now. Every new version: same story! Dozens of people pathetically demanding the old UI because of x or y.

If you do not like change, do not update. Simple as that. Apart from that, you can do everything with this version (if not more) what you could do with the old one. Maybe just a little bit differently. Since the redesign, Sonos certainly has put lots of thought in making the app better and better, easier and faster to handle your music.

If your hearts really so much depend on a certain Sonos playlist, I would recommend to a) save it and b) get a life.

Sorry if this seems rude, but if Sonos would listen to threads like this, we all would still use the interface from years ago.:P
Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Sorry if this seems rude, but if Sonos would listen to threads like this, we all would still use the interface from years ago.:P

Not the least bit rude - that's an excellent idea - you saved the best for last.