PSA: DO NOT UPDATE TO THE NEW APP YET (list of issues included)

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Please if u have some issues u don’t see in my post, add them with bulletins, so there is a comperehensive lists for other users or the SONOS itself.

Device: iPhone 14 Pro Max - iOS 17.4.1

1.) If u’re trying to TruePlay ERA’s 300 in the NEW APP (80.00.04), and microphones are disabled on the ERA’s themselves, then the TruePlay process fails.This is due to disabled microphones. If i tried it in the OLD APP (16.1), there was a step/prompt that warned me exactly about the microphones e.g. that they need to be enabled, so the TruePlay could run successfully. This prompt is missing in the NEW APP (80.00.04). So if u’re having TruePlay issues, try to enable microphones.

2.) If u’re having issues with TruePlay not starting after tapping/hitting “Continue” button in the NEW APP (80.00.04), reboot your phone and it should work.

3.) If u’re experiencing some other issues in the NEW APP (80.00.04), they might be mitigated by going to “Account” / “App Preferences” / “Reset App” which will logout you out of the app and u'll have to sign in again and go through the initial wizard, which's gonna find your existing system.

4.) I also had issues with my existing Apple playlist. After hitting play, songs were skipped one by one and nothing was playing. NEW APP (80.00.04)

5.) The removal of surrounds simply doesn’t work in the NEW APP (80.00.04). Even if i’ve factory reset them, the process failed. When i tried it on the OLD APP (16.1), it worked like magic.

6.) Addition of new speakers (ERA 300 in my case) did not work in NEW APP (80.00.04) either at all, or it crashed during the pairing/registering/wi-fi wizard. I’ve spent approx. hour on Sonos support to achieve nothing.

7.) “System Settings” / “Manage” / “About my system” / “Audio in:” doesn’t display the audio format/kodek in the NEW APP (80.00.04). So for example, if u’re wondering if lossy DD+ ATMOS is playing or the lossless DTHD ATMOS is playing, at the moment u're out of luck. NEW APP (80.00.04)

8.) “System Settings” / “Manage” / “About my system” / “Sonos ID. ”If your ID is not displayed, try the “Reset App” steps and it could help. NEW APP (80.00.04)

9.) “System Settings” / “Your System” / “Room” / “Products” /  “Specific Product” / “Status” / “Network”. The input field is empty and does not display name of the network for existing products. NEW APP (80.00.04)

10.) “System Settings” / “Your System” / “Room” / “Products” /  “Specific Product”. Enable or Disable Wi-Fi does nothing / displays “Something went wrong” error. NEW APP (80.00.04)

77 replies

Userlevel 2

Another issue is unable to add songs to a queue. No option to Add to end of queue, Play Next , play now etc.

Userlevel 2

I rolled back to version 16.1 on my Android phone by following the tips on this post:   https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/1cnxj1d/how_to_roll_back_from_sonos_80_to_161_android/ 

Holy heck… thankyou for this. Now I have a functional Sonos system again!!

I can’t get ANY music to play. Regardless of the source, once I hit the play button it cycles and eventually tells me “something went wrong”. Done all the Sonos prescribed troubleshooting, rebooted system and router countless times and still have the issue. Also have to constantly add my roam and move back into the system and that is just hit and miss. It takes several attempts before the app recognizes the speakers.

Sirius XM does not work either

• can use in car but not at work/home now
  • loss of the Sleep function is terrible for home use
  • Layout has some potential, but usable features is terrible

I rolled back to version 16.1 on my Android phone by following the tips on this post:   https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/1cnxj1d/how_to_roll_back_from_sonos_80_to_161_android/ 

How do you degrade the update on iOS?

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

You don't 

Nothing working here… 2x play1s as surrounds and a beam - absolute sh11t show.

can’t believe they’ve pushed the update.

friday night after a long work week, all I want to do is watch a bit of television with a beer and  chill

ridiculous! 
see you next tuesdays

Yep totally * 😵‍💫

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Only my Beam shows up.  The other two speakers will (Move and Era 100) do not show up for airplay. I can’t get the app to play anything, not even Sonos Music. This is terrible.

Trueplay tuning won’t go beyond continue. Worked fine before the update. 

Userlevel 1

Sonos user for 16 years. Genuinely, this may actually be the single worst and poorly thought out application 'upgrade' in the history of apps. Are Sonos sitting there congratulating themselves and drinking champagne thinking they've actually make progress here? After two days of disbelief, I'm pretty much done with them. They will write a book about this company one day, how to alienate and destroy all goodwill and customer satisfaction in just 24 hours. It will be taught in all the best business schools. Bye Sonos

Unable to reconnect my speakers with new app, on my original account is simply wouldn’t locate them, even the Ethernet option failed with the app crashing and closing. Then I tried a new account, and my main speaker was connected only to not be there when I reopened the app. I managed to get one speaker out of 3 connected but despite all resets (factory, account and router etc), the other two just won’t do it. One takes me through the process but never appears and the other is stuck at the chime sound which doesn’t play. 

infuriating to say the least especially as this is not the first time sonos has become unusable for us.

Badge

A quick message for the users who rely on the Sonos alarm on the mobile app - a fix for now...

1. Download the app onto your pc or mac (I am a mac user - never done this - and have always relied on the mobile app).
  2. Connect to your existing system wifi.
  3. In the main window bottom right corner - select the alarm function button
  4. If you cannot see your favourite radio station - I use to wake up to - play it through the main browser window
  5. Go back to the alarm you created and ‘edit’ it
  6. Set the music to - radio - recently listened to, It should be there.

At least I don’t have to wake up to the siren tomorrow - phew!

what a mess, what company does a big release of an app and TAKES AWAY FUNCTIONS, Sonos is a joke tbh, the hardware is great but they need to sack the app development team, re-hire them and sack them again just to make sure!!!  

Badge

I’m guessing there’s no going back on iOS? the Mac app works perfectly (and has the alarm feature still… how futuristic!) 

Since upgrading! My Boost doesn't show in the app, SonosNet isn't even an option, under Network I can only see my Wi-Fi. Use to be able to search for missing products but that option is no more, trying to add new products doesn't detect anything!! No way of changing Wi-Fi channel. This is supposed to be an upgrade what iv seen and experienced so far, this is a complete down grade.

Please let us downgrade to the previous version or fix the issues with the version as quickly as you take our subscriptions or how about not taking our subscriptions until you fix this…...🤔 

Userlevel 1

I have used sonos for over20 year and will never buy another product if this garbage update is not fixed soon.  It is unusable.  Cannot add to queue.  Cannot see my playlists. Cannot edit settings as. Cannot remove old local music library I no longer have access to.  All I see on the screen is grey boxes that never update.  Volume controls very erratic.  Developers and execs should lose their jobs for this mess. 

Userlevel 3

The new app is a disaster and the reasons are endless. The immediate solution is simple: Sonos should re-post / re-release the old app so that users who want to revert can do so while we all wait for the new app to be fixed. This is the second time in the last few years that Sonos has made a mistake so profound that it will require a public apology from the CEO. Sonos, please put the old app back in the App Store now!

Userlevel 1

The new app is a disaster and the reasons are endless. The immediate solution is simple: Sonos should re-post / re-release the old app so that users who want to revert can do so while we all wait for the new app to be fixed. This is the second time in the last few years that Sonos has made a mistake so profound that it will require a public apology from the CEO. Sonos, please put the old app back in the App Store now!

You can still download the old version from other app stores. I’ve just done it. Make sure to disable auto updates

Not being able to setup an IKEA Symfonisk speaker - tried everything, different iphone, different router, different access points, ethernet and wireless… 

Bad day buy into Sonos

Only my Beam shows up.  The other two speakers will (Move and Era 100) do not show up for airplay. I can’t get the app to play anything, not even Sonos Music. This is terrible.

I reset my WiFi system and the speakers now show and appear to be working as they should.

Like the poster above, NONE of my speakers can be found with this new app. They are connected to a BOOST which is connected to my WiFi hub via ethernet. It seems to me that Sonos have failed to cater for this type of setup which is completely unacceptable. I am NOT a happy Sonos customer at the moment. Everything was working perfectly with the S2 app now nothing is working, 

Userlevel 3

The new app is simply a dud. Switching audio sources in rooms is totally not intuitive. You're never really sure if you're doing it right. The fact that you can't add a song to a queue and you can only replace it in is utterly awful. Amazon music being broken kind of stinks but I use Spotify for the most part. I just moved to a new house and spent five grand putting in new Sono stuff and sold my old s1 system with my old house. Now I wish I'd moved it, honestly, I think it sounded better and clearly the app did what it's supposed to do. Allows you to pick various music sources in various rooms easily. That should obviously be job one for Sonos but apparently someone dropped the ball. Any other fancy stuff should be secondary to the primary task of playing music in rooms. I have turned on countless people to Sonos and the selling point was always the simplicity, gone. Total ball drop. Couldn't be more disappointed in one of my favorite products.

Userlevel 3

I paused the music to voice type my last comment. I come back and unpause it and music starts playing but the app says that I have no connected products. I should go to system settings to learn more... Another new feature.

They totally broke the app.  Youtube Music doesn’t work.  If I search for an artist, song, etc., it shows no results.  No one asked for “Sonos Radio,” but that’t the only thing that works on the app.  What a trainwreck.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I’m guessing there’s no going back on iOS? the Mac app works perfectly (and has the alarm feature still… how futuristic!) 

No its not possible to install older version on iOS. e.g. sideload it as on Android.