Party Mode is a problem. We need ability to create multiple groups of rooms!

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

105 replies

What happened to Sonos?   This feature hasn't been added and I'm having same problem.   Did their engineers go to sleep?  Get it ADDED NOW!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
demanding
This is a definite necessity!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
This is the place for communication.  I see it as a nice feature but I don't see it as a basic feature.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
If you have iOS, check out sonosequencr on the App Store - you can create custom macros to create groups / ungroup along with many other functions
It needs to be classified in such a manner that it gets DONE Chris.   Do you know that classification?  It's a desired/needed feature and has been for years.  That's the point Charles is making.  And yet no movement on it that I see.  Pathetic.

Creating multiple groups was the first thing i wanted to do, and i only have 3 speakers. But i don't want to permanently regroup my speakers. 
I still don't understand why there is no focus on such a feature. And taking a look at the features of 5.4 is only more confusing. 
Userlevel 1

Shouldn't be a basic feature? Sonos is supposed to be a multi-room system, and the one thing it can't do is decent grouping in multiple rooms. I'd say it should be the very foundation...
Userlevel 1
Badge

I fully concur. This is a feature that has been requested repeatedly over many months, and it just doesn't seem to me like something that would be difficult to build.

Would be great to be able to switch from ios8 widgets in the notification centre too.

Come on SONOS, all it takes is to tell us you are working on it.
+1
I've been adding to my Sonos collection and I assumed I'd be able to add speakers to multiple groups - "Ground Floor", "First Floor", etc. - when I couldn't figure it out I asked Google and this thread was the first result. It seems strange to me that this feature doesn't exist already.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I have to think this is the most requested feature and quite surprising that Sonos did not have it from the beginning. It is such a no brainer that I have to believe there is some technical reason Sonos hasn't added it.
Wow. I'm in the process of installing a whole house audio system and had decided on Sonos because I was told (by sonos) this feature exists. I'm shocked it doesn't, since every competitor has it. Can someone confirm it's been delivered and works? If not, I'll not purchase the dozen Sonos units i need (and was purchasing this week). Specifically...
1. You can pre-create custom named zones/groups of devices
2. A device can exist in multiple groups/zones
3. Custom groups/zones are shared across my devices (logged into my sonos account)

If Sonos isn't providing the above, they are no longer a serious competitor in this market.

Looking forward to the answer, and being pleasantly surprised that I simply stumbled across a page with outdated info and I can proceed with my purchase and not start shopping all over again.

Regards...
Every time this question comes up I ask this obvious question that nobody wants to address: If a speaker is in more than one group and both groups are in use playing something different from each other which program are you expecting to hear from that shared speaker?
it is an obvious feature. just do it, where is the problem?
Userlevel 2
Badge
I need this added as well. Seems like a no-brainer now that I have more than one speaker. I don't want to have to constantly ungroup and regroup speakers.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Bump, this is needed.
I just bought 2 Speakers. I have one in my bedroom and one in the living room. I want both speakers to start in the morning when my alarm goes off. I was so convinced that this was possible that I spent 20 minutes trying to find out how to do it. I think it'd be great if you could save groupings and use a group when you set an alarm.
I think that the USD 35 a pop Chromecast solution has now solved this problem, one aspect of the user interface where it isn't inferior to Sonos. Group creation is a one time action which survives a power off/reboot as well, and created groups show up in the choices for selecting where the music is to be casted to.

Given this, one would expect to see Sonos address this requirement with some urgency.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I'm not sure they see this feature as a necessity for some reason. I have 4 speakers in 4 different rooms and I don't want to constantly group and ungroup them depending on what's going on.
Badge
+1 would save a lot of frustration.
Userlevel 2
Badge
+1, I fully expected to be able to create multiple groups which could optionally contain the same speakers as other groups, so I can easily select the set of speakers I want to use without the faff if grouping/ungrouping all the time. Why is this not available?!
Userlevel 2
Badge
Well that's easy - either just play on the speaker the most recent group selected, or throw an error when you try to play a group when that speaker is already in a different group that is playing. It doesn't really matter - it's not a situation that most people would configure, and so long as whatever method is consistent, who cares?
Far different concept. No need to "throw an error" when an e-mail has different labels. I see this functionality to be more transient, such as a "moods" setting that automatically groups/ungroups when a mood is selected, instead of permanent grouping that requires all sorts of ugly logic to implement. Agree to disagree.
Well that's easy - either just play on the speaker the most recent group selected, or throw an error when you try to play a group when that speaker is already in a different group that is playing. It doesn't really matter - it's not a situation that most people would configure, and so long as whatever method is consistent, who cares?

As a software developer, I care. I support creating permanent groups. I do not support the illogical concept of a speaker belonging to more than one group. It's stupid.

Surely as a software developer you would know that if there is an 'illogical concept' then software can be programmed to deal with it.

In your example while Led Zeppelin is blaring out in Group A and the wife wants to play Chopin in Group B, it is simply greyed out and cannot be done. Speaker 3 would still be available to play Chopin or Group A virtual zone could be ungrouped and Group B would become available. It is not a difficult concept really.

Surely as a software developer you would know that if there is an 'illogical concept' then software can be programmed to deal with it.

In your example while Led Zeppelin is blaring out in Group A and the wife wants to play Chopin in Group B, it is simply greyed out and cannot be done. Speaker 3 would still be available to play Chopin or Group A virtual zone could be ungrouped and Group B would become available. It is not a difficult concept really.

All that is unnecessarily complicated, especially since the original concept was for permanent groups. Why should you have to ungroup a permanent group in order to do what one wants? If that's the case, why have a permanent group in the first place? As I said above, if this functionality is to work, it should be implemented as transient "moods" setting that does a group/ungroup macro. Permanent groups make no sense when they contain multiple instances of the same speaker.