Need possibility of adding delay in addition to the normal 70ms

• 25 September 2012
  • 167 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

167 replies

Most people who buy the Connect device do so to integrate SONOS with an EXISTING expensive multi speaker setup.  And who these days doesn't buy a surround sound receiver???  Most all of them perform processing which is the cause of the delay.

I've tried the suggested solution - Direct mode which improved the sync issues only slightly but in that mode, all I get are two speakers; left, right and the sub.  Forget the other two sets that I have in the system!

SONOS, you have marketed a device that by it's very definition is supposed to integrate these systems into the SONOS eco-system.  Your slogan that you so proudly display across your site needs some reconsideration!

"Warm, full-bodied sound that’s crystal clear at any volume. No skips, delays or drops. Perfect sync in every room."

However difficult this may be to code around based on a response further up this thread, you absolutely must address this.  How can you continue to sell the Connect knowing that it will very likely NOT be in "Perfect Sync" with any of your other rooms where you have SONOS devices?

This shouldn't be a wish, it's a glaring short-coming of the SONOS system as it stands today and it contradicts your marketing entirely.

What model of Yamaha do you have. If its in 7 channel mode, and you are getting sound through sub, you may have found the Holy grail of this thread. I agree with you that Sonos is not interested in accomodating any product that is not theirs. If I was Sonos marketing, I would want customers to be forced to buy more speakers. Not integrate with the ones the customer already owns. Problem is the Sonos speaker will never sounds as good as my B&Ws.
Userlevel 1
Badge

Most people who buy the Connect device do so to integrate SONOS with an EXISTING expensive multi speaker setup.  And who these days doesn't buy a surround sound receiver???  Most all of them perform processing which is the cause of the delay.

I've tried the suggested solution - Direct mode which improved the sync issues only slightly but in that mode, all I get are two speakers; left, right and the sub.  Forget the other two sets that I have in the system!

SONOS, you have marketed a device that by it's very definition is supposed to integrate these systems into the SONOS eco-system.  Your slogan that you so proudly display across your site needs some reconsideration!

"Warm, full-bodied sound that’s crystal clear at any volume. No skips, delays or drops. Perfect sync in every room."

However difficult this may be to code around based on a response further up this thread, you absolutely must address this.  How can you continue to sell the Connect knowing that it will very likely NOT be in "Perfect Sync" with any of your other rooms where you have SONOS devices?

This shouldn't be a wish, it's a glaring short-coming of the SONOS system as it stands today and it contradicts your marketing entirely.

Agreed Abel but if I put the Yamaha to 7 Channel I get excellent audio with an active Sub. I would prefer to use a Digital out and the price point of the Connect would suggest that it should work. I believe Sonos is somewhat complacent with their customer base as evident with the lack of DTS on the playbar, poor sync with the Connect and an app experience that is less than ideal unless your on iOS.

Right, that would work. But you are now taking a digital signal, degrading it to analog and not processing it. So if you have a sub or Surround speakers you are no longer using them or the processing on your nice receiver.
Userlevel 1
Badge

I have a Yamaha RX-A1010 that I hooked up with a Connect trying both digital out connections, I immediately hit the sync problem when zoned with a Play 5. I sent the Connect back within 2 days due to disappointment. I was going to sell the Yamaha and get a Playbar but the DTS decision changed that plan, I ended up upgrading the speakers on my Amp to SVS Ultras. I borrowed a Connect from a colleague of mine to give it one more try, same delay with the digital connections but no delay with the analog output into the CD input on the Yamaha, worked independent of any AV processing I enabled. I'm about to repurchase the Connect again.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I have a Yamaha RX-A1010 that I hooked up with a Connect trying both digital out connections, I immediately hit the sync problem when zoned with a Play 5. I sent the Connect back within 2 days due to disappointment. I was going to sell the Yamaha and get a Playbar but the DTS decision changed that plan, I ended up upgrading the speakers on my Amp to SVS Ultras. I borrowed a Connect from a colleague of mine to give it one more try, same delay with the digital connections but no delay with the analog output into the CD input on the Yamaha, worked independent of any AV processing I enabled. I about to repurchase the Connect again.  
Userlevel 1

Userlevel 2
I'm currently holding off on buying into the Sonos system due to this issue. I'm hopeful that Sonos can offer a solution but if a competitor offers a more compelling option that can also integrate my current AV components without a delay, I'll bite. Unfortunately, I think Sonos is content with their position and doesn't feel too threatened. In any case, I'm not buying until the issue is addressed.
Just wanted to emphasize my like with a message that I am one of the original purchasers of Sonos - have six zones currently, and this is one of the very few issues that I've had with the system.  I'm hearing more and more about this from others, including just today a coworker who decided not to purchase because of this issue.
Userlevel 1
I came across this problem last night myself. I have a Connect on my Onkyo receiver in my front room with adjoining rooms having Play 5's and and Connect Amp on a patio off the main room.  I've still yet to try direct mode but this is a really important feature request as far as I'm concerned.
Userlevel 1
Because of this "bug", I've decided to return all my Connect units.  Listening to music was simply horrible with the delay...  

I'm keeping my Play 1s and hope that they someday fix this big problem.
Hey Azur D, its been well over a year since you commented on this topic. Is there any news? 
The only way I managed to sync my receiver with the sonos connect was to use Spotify on my Iphone, airplay to my receiver and use zone 2 on my receiver connected to the sonos connect line in. This causes a delay to the sonos connect which can be compensated by the delay function in my receiver. However since airplay isn't as stable as sonos wifi I'm still waiting for sonos to introduce a delay. I will not recommend the sonos connect to anyone until the delay function has been implemented. Cheers
Nobody at sonos obviously thinks this is a problem, yet I know having talked to a lot of people it is losing them massive amounts of business, amongst people with receivers who would undoubtedly invest in sonos systems, if the would integrate with them , however due to this issue they are unwilling to do so!!!! Please Sonos take this issue seriously it's making yourselves look bad at quality customer service.
Agreed. The above says nothing. Adding a manual delay would not interrupt "complicated protocols". By nature, it would be a simple addition which users could emply themselves. This response assumes all of us are idiots.
We need delay compensation NOW! What is happening on this issue???
Latest response from Sonos....It's the same thing I got 2 years ago, and several times after that....

Discussion Thread
 Response Via Email (Ryan S.)01/10/2014 05:27 PM Hello,

We understand the interest in this feature and thanks for the heads up on the latest comments. We are watching the threads on Ask and listening. There aren't any updates regarding the ability to add a delay on your Sonos components around the house. Currently we have very complicated protocols around syncing the timing on all of your components, but that means that the CONNECT may be out of sync from others if your receiver is taking too long to process the signal. This thread is still under consideration, a status meaning we aren't ready to announce anything.

At this time, I don't have an update for you or other customers eagerly awaiting a status change, but rest assured, we will be letting you know as soon as anything is able to be made public. Right now, we appreciate your all enthusiasm and patience until we have something to share.

Cheers,

Ryan S.
Sonos Customer Care  Customer By Web Form (Creative Network Solutions Calanchini)
This problem needs to be posted to twitter by all, that seems to be the only way to get any attention these days, i have!!
Post it as a warning to potential customers and see if it gets us a reply
I send back my connect, because i don't accept the delay to yamaha.
Userlevel 1
Yeah, those hits must add up very quickly.  Past AND future sales...  I for one, wouldn't have invested so much in Sonos product if I had known this before.  I feel that they're practically doing *false advertising. 

* They should at least put a warning in "small print".  "Won't work properly with most moderns Hi-Fi systems."
FYI - Sonos is NOT a high end system...It is among the cheapest out there...will lets say "most affordable" since I do believe the Sonos hardware is quality.  You can do a entire house with Sonos for under 5K, I have installed systems costing 250K+, of course those systems are far more capable as far as integrating with other systems such as pools, lighting, HVAC, alarms, etc....Sonos just doesn't realize how much a site like this hurts them...anyone doing research will find this and steer clear.
Userlevel 1
That's too bad... I still have a few days until I can't return them anymore, I'll wait until then. Please sonos, break the silence.
I suggest you return all your Sonos stuff with a letter explaining why....Maybe that will get their attention.  Alternatives:  HTD makes a pretty good solution, Elan or Savant are the best, but will cost you.  I can confirm that all three of those can adjust for zone delay introduced by modern audio processors.  The thing that pisses me off about Sonos is:  THIS USED TO BE A FEATURE...in very old software versions and they got rid of it for some reason?????? 
Don't count on it, I have been requesting this for 2.5 years and Sonos seems oblivious to the need, I even called them directly and send them emails to all the posts out there looking for this ability....no response, Sonos really dropped the ball on this one...I do build-outs on smart homes,I had to swich away from Sonos years ago for that exact reason.  They have lost several hundreds-of-thousands, if not close to a million in sales from me alone due to this issue....Though I shouldn't be, I am still hopeful they will eventually fix this as I have Sonos at my house.  They haven't even indicated if this is on the drawing board, all I can get from them is "We will forward this to our development team"....Time to dump Sonos!
Hi, will this be implemented in the next 20 days?  I got a Play:3 for christmas to test out the system, loved it, and then bought a 2nd Play:3, 2 Play:1's and a Connect hooked up to a Denon AVR-3313Cl, and the echo is totally unacceptable for anything but very quiet listening.  I plan to return all components if not fixed within my return window, so I can get a refund.  I am very disappointed, because it is otherwise fantastic.   PLEASE FIX THIS ASAP!
Please sonos you are selling this piece of equipment, which is not fit for purpose in a complete system without this update , sort it out