Lower minumum volume level

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

143 replies

I have just experienced a minor improvement in this matter. The problem occurred after I had switched off the ios lock screen controls.

Therefore, I tried this:
1) I toggled on the controls from the iOS lock screen (Sonos > app settings).
2) Turned the volume down to minimum from the ios lock screen (not muted).
3) Tuggeled off the iOS lock screen control again (Sonos > app settings)

I believe it has given me some extra volume levels at the lowest end. Does this help you guys?

/C
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Hi Camillabandit, great, good work, this does seem to give a little more control at low levels, but only if don't use any other device to control the volume levels right after that besides my iPhone (multiple iPads and iPhones, 2 MacBooks, Homeseer home automation, etc). So only a temporary fix as it seems, at least in my case.
The lowest volume can easily be obtained by sliding to zero and tapping the slider once. Unless you have bats for neighbours they won't hear it
Badge
You guys are missing the point here. This is not about me having a problem with my €2500 sound system that can be solved by a) using headphones instead, b) fiddle around with advanced settings, c) talk to my neighbors, or d) install third party apps and setup automation schemes. There is nothing wrong about any of these suggestions, but the context of this thread is that Sonos lowest volume is too high, something that hundreds of other customers seems to agree with me on.
I do understand that this is an issue for a number of users and I hope that Sonos are able to meet this request. I am a bit surprised the max volume solution did not affect the minimum volume, but things are never as simple as they seem. Maybe soon?
The lowest volume is too loud. There should be more fine grained steps between current lowest volume and mute.

Playbase, play1's any input.
Badge +3
Are you setting the volume on the device or on your phone?

I find that setting it on the device gives a very narrow range of volume. One minute it's loud and the next it's silent. Yet on mobile app you have a much greater range for volume.

I have no idea why the volume steps vary from device to mobile. It's a right pain as it means when I'm in bed I have to adjust volume on my phone instead of just on the device that's right there by my bed.
Userlevel 1
Totally agree !
Userlevel 1
I could not agree more - lack of this low level volume is the reason I need to kick Sonos Play:1 out of my bedroom - simply too loud to sleep with the music on. I need to say "welcome back" to my old Sqeezebox I guess.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Have you tried going into the equalizer setting and turning Bass and Treble all the way down.  That should lower the overall sound level of the speaker in general.
I have the same problem on my Play 1. Minimum volume is too high!
I just listened to a brand new Play 1 and it seems Sonos fixed the issue on the newest ones... Why not on the older ones via firmware/software update?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I have the same problem on my Play 1. Minimum volume is too high!
I just listened to a brand new Play 1 and it seems Sonos fixed the issue on the newest ones... Why not on the older ones via firmware/software update?

The volume scale should be identical across all PLAY:1s running the same software. All of our updates are available for all players, so older PLAY:1 units can run the same software as one picked off the shelf today.

We don't have any direct plans available for changing the volume scale on players but I'll pass your concern over to our team for you.
Hi
Has the minimum level raised quite recently? We're on the BETA programme and on our Play:1 the level seems to be noticeably higher for us at bed time.

Chris
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
There haven't been any specific changes to the minimum volume as of late, but I'll pass on the interest from you guys to the team. Just to get some more information to share, is there a specific player you've found to have too high of a low volume?

Also, have you gone into the EQ settings and turned off "Loudness"? It doesn't directly relate to the volume the player is at, but it can make a difference.
Hi Ryan,
I did not mention that problem was introduced by an upgrade or change lately. I observe the problem already from the beginning I bought the system. The lowest volume is not low enough.
When my tv is connected I do not observe the problem. When playing via spotify, tune-in or NAS the problem is always there.
Switching off loudness does not bring any solution.
Maybe to mention, I have a Sonos 5.1 system with playbar, sub and 2x play3
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for the details RogerRabbit. Chriswisemanuk had asked above if the volumes had changed recently.

The TV volume tends to be a bit lower than music playback in general, but low volume should still be low. I'll pass on the feedback for you. Have you tried adjusting the volume in different ways to get it at the lowest possible setting? TV remote will adjust the volume or you could use the volume buttons on a mobile controller to get fine control over the adjustments over the volume slider. The volume will still have the same lowest volume options, but it might be easier to hit 3% instead of 5% using the buttons (as an example).
Hello Ryan, I tried to adjust the volume in different ways. I have the Sonos app installed on my iPad and iPhone. Using the slider or volume buttons on iPhone or iPad does not make any different. You are right that the volume out of the tv is lower. When the slider is on approx 10% the sound from the tv is almost off.
What I also observe (when using spotify or tune-in) is that there is no difference noticable between the last 2 slider steps before the sound is muted.
The highest volumes are too high, I never use them. I'd like te be able to fine tune the lower volumes in an easy way using my iPad or computer. My suggestion is two volumebars instead of one: one for the first 10% and one for the other 90% of possible volume. It's like being able to "zoom in" on the lower spectrum.
I run into the same issue. This is the reason why I have sold both my Play 5's. I used a Play5 in the kitchen and 1 Play5 in the home office. But for both rooms, the minimum volume was too loud. In my experience, the Play1 lowest volume is definitely lower than a Play5's. I now use a single Play1 in my office room and 2 Play 1's in the kitchen. A single Play1 in the kitchen (40m2) lacked "punch", so I placed an extra Play1 there. This improved sound, but now the minimum volume is too loud again... Guess I move back to the single Play1 in the kitchen. The single Play1 in the office (20m2) is perfect.

To my experience, the best volume finetuning/ lowest volume is obtained via the app (iPad/ iPhone). On the devices themselves, the volume "steps" are too big. I never use a Sonos (Play 1, Play 5, Connect:amp) above the 25% volume level.

My suggestion for improved volume control would be to 1) keep the single volume slider for the "big steps"; 2) next to that add an insert box which ranges from 0-100 (either a pull-down menu of free insert), for the "finetuning". The slider position should then change accordingly and vice versa. 3) Also, add a maximum volume increase/ "Party Blast" button which is standard in "non-selected mode". E.g., looking at my current Play 1 volume levels, it has a maximum volume level. If you guys implement the suggestions that I made under 1) and 2) for the range 0-50% of my current Play1, and add 50% by enabling this "Party Blast" button, then the slider gets double the accuracy already from which it has now.

Keep in mind, I would really like to buy/ have a Play5 for my kitchen but I am stuck to a Play1, just because of this minimum volume level issue! In simple English for Sonos Sales guys: this issue costs you sales, mr. Sonos! 😉.

The solution should be just software related, or is there a hardware reason that each speaker maybe has a minimum volume cut-off point?
Totally agree, lowest possible volume is still too high. Would be great if this could be fixed in a next release.
May I ask if you have tried the following on a phone controller? Slide the volume bar to zero. Then tap the volume bar once instead of trying to slide it back. For me this produces a volume level that is almost inaudible, and lower than I have been able to achieve with any other method.
Yes, that's exactly how it is possible to even get at "1/100". Otherwise the volume move in steps of 5.
And I might add: The music is definitely not "almost inaudible" at this level. It is loud. In all but the noisiest environments.
OK fair enough. But as to Sonos being "useless", despite its market leading multiroom capabilities,great sound quality, huge range of streaming sources, easy switching between sources, simple set up etc,... well you are entitled to your opinion. And as for "not listening to its customers", this invariably translates to "Sonos isn't prioritising the particular feature that I and a few others want implemented". Unfortunately there are dozens or maybe hundreds of such features on this forum, all with a few indignant supporters threatening to leave. I hope you find this feature on another system that is also as good as Sonos in every other respect.
I'm sorry if I stepped on your toes. Troll. I must have misunderstood a thing. I thought this was a community debate facilitated by SONOS (points to them for allowing/paying for that). But you are working for them, don't you? Because that last comment is pretty biased, if you are just another customer! What do you care about my opinions on this subject, if you so strongly disagree? Leave it be, and get a life instead of wasting mine.
If you ARE in fact hired by SONOS to mess with/engage in discussions on the community forum, then this isn't the way to do it. Present yourself as support personnel and let's handle the conversation on a chat. That works so well for a lot of other companies; I'm sure it would work here as well.

As for the last comment. Well, you haven't mentioned any feature which competitors don't handle just as well. And SONOS isn't market leader. They are first mover, and there is a difference. The equipment is expensive and not interchangeable. That means I am not going to buy MORE if I start thinking that SONOS is losing the grip. But it will take years before this trend can be seen in their books.
And no, there are not "hundreds of such features" asked for. Volume adjustment is a basic feature. Like lack of bass, poor sound quality, and "the speakers keep shutting down" would be. Fortunately, they got them right (now).
And no, I am not threatening to leave. And I am not a supporter. And I am not indignant. Where do you get your ideas from?? I am a customer. I am disappointed that SONOS continues to do nothing about something which is obviously called for. And I am simply stating that if they don't build the equipment I want to pay for, I will not buy the equipment they are producing. Simple as that. Compared to some other people it seems, I am not religious about music players. I just want music in the bedroom - and preferably integrated with the rest of the sound system in the apartment.