Lower minumum volume level

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

143 replies

I have been out and about, but just dropped back to confirm that I am not paid by Sonos. I do love my Sonos system and admire Sonos as a company.
I have no objection to the opinion that Sonos should have a lower minimum volume level. It is an entirely reasonable request. What I thought it reasonable to challenge was the suggestion that the entire system was "useless" because it lacked a feature 99.999999% of users don't care about. Also worth challenging was the suggestion that because a particular feature request hasn't been implemented Sonos doesn't listen to its customers. Sometimes it listens and says "not worth limited development resource because only 0.0000001% of users care about it".
Just tested and yes faded in for 10-15 seconds.
I totally agree that the lowest volume needs a few more settings. It is too high for me listening in my small office if I just want background talk or music. I love the product but for that reason I will likely be returning it. Sonos! Listen to your customers! A few more lower settings will not hurt anyone who likes to listen at higher volume levels but will help out a vast number of your customers and potential customers.
There seems to be a lot of negativity around this issue but I'm going to add my 2c just to confirm that there are others out there struggling with this.

We've had our Play 1 for about two years now, it was set to replace our older Logitech Smart Radio for quiet 'off to sleep' listening. We were attracted by the Google Play Music support. Unfortunately the Sonos unit has sat unused for the vast majority of this period and we are still to this day using the Logitech instead.

The minimum volume level is quite simply too loud for this listening scenario in our case, and as others have mentioned already, the scale is dramatically tilted towards the loud end, where granularity is far less important. On decreasing the volume, it really feels like there should be another step or 5 before complete silence hits.

If this is not a problem for your particular scenario, then great. But it undeniably makes the product unusable for those of us who bought it with this specific purpose in mind. I otherwise love the unit, so my disappointment is doubly so as it's truly a great product otherwise.

I've been hoping for an update that might help with this for ages now. I know it's a somewhat niche request so my hopes were never that high. Sadly I suspect we will have to look for an alternative solution.
Look, I specifically mentioned it was too loud for the listening scenario in our case, what more do you want from me? Honestly, I can't see why you would even care, if the situation is not a problem for you. The product obviously works well in the majority of cases for the majority of users. No one is denying this. Perhaps my following comments seemed broad brush but my intention was always that the issue was situation specific.

Unfortunately, no product is perfect for everyone, and one thing I can objectively say is that our previously mentioned Logitech unit has substantially more granularity at the low end than the Play 1. This is particularly noticeable between the Play's 0 and 1 volume setting. For us, and apparently others given the basis for this thread, this makes the product unsuitable for this purpose for us. Who knows, maybe our units are just different, although I feel like the QA on these would be tight particularly given the ability to do stereo setups, so I find this unlikely.

This is not an attack on the product, or Sonos, or you. It is simply our experience. If it's viable for this functionality to be tweaked in the product, then I'd love for this to be on Sonos's radar. If we don't make these comments, how will they ever know that this is an issue for some of their users? If they are unable to do anything about it, or choose not to, that's fine. The only reason I'm even here, or found this post in the first place, is because I did my 6 monthly search hoping someone had found a workaround for this exact issue.
I bought Play 1 for my bedroom. I also find minimum volume (1%) level bit too high. Music can also be heard at hallway through closed door.

That's a bit weird that someone said that alarm at 27% is fine. If I'd to use that, it would also wake my neighbours up. I guess at 5% it would wake up anyone that has normal hearing. So there are probably some differences between units (or sevices, I'm using Spotify).
Me too. Bought a Play:1 for my bedroom to use sleep function. Unfortunately, lowest volume is to loud indeed. Please fix
Userlevel 1
Badge
It doesn't look like they're actively participating in this forum. Has anyone tried to raise a ticket with support and refer to this thread?

Rgds
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
yeah same here, low volume steps just too loud. Use several Sonos setups in different places to get to sleep(play1, 3 ,5 etc all too loud). Control by Macbook,iphone/ipad app, first step from 0 is just "boom, on". Switched loudness off, bass and treble to minimum, doesn't help.:(
Userlevel 3
Don't know how or why, but it seems that the issue is getting worse with time... 😠
Userlevel 1
Badge
Don't know how or why, but it seems that the issue is getting worse with time... :@
I know, yesterday I've opened a case at sonos, let's see! Maybe we all should, so it gains visibility within sonos!
Hi,

I'd like to bump this tread. Got 2x Play 5, a Playbar and a sub installed this July and it is really annoing not being able to play music on a low "background" level the way I could with my old "analogue" system. In fact it is so annoying that I would hesitate buying all this if I knew at the time (all things comsidered it takes a bunch of money to buy this). Please can Sonos consider checking out if this could be made right?

Many thanks!

Rasmus
Yes, even if I would have the ambient mode on. I don't like to have that when I play music however since less music is distributed through the Play5s as compared to the soundbar and the crisp in the Play5s is uncomparable to the soundbar. Its just not as premium of a sound. When thinking of it, isn't it a bit strange that the ambient mode redistribute the sound among the speakers in this way.. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
I'm not sure what the - or + refer to either. There are many threads on this now where users feel the lowest volume setting is too loud and am pretty sure nothing's going to change.
I agree, a single press of the bar on the app is too loud (note, I'm not saying it is 'loud' per se) and is clearly heard on my Play 1 next to the bed. The Play 5's minimum volume is much quieter. I'm confident all such users with the same comments don't have faulty speakers and reporting such issues as such would be pointless. Five presses of the volume would be a volume to sit in bed and listen to never mind be just audible.
Yes a wider lower volume range would be great. Also on the alarm volume setting it shows the percentage of volume the alarm is set at. It would be great if the main volume settings on the app. showed that. Then you could find the ideal setting you like and go back to it.
Yes to all of the above. I bought 4 Ones for the simplicity of integrated voice control. I'm frustrayed that the volume level of "1" isn't low enough to be unobtrusive background music. No, the EQ doesn't adress this issue. I don't sleep with a phone in the room so I don't have the slider option, just voice control, which is useless for creating a nice bedroom ambience. Between that annoyance and the inability for Alexa to start any of my personal Sonos playlists, the whole Sonos One experience has come up a bit short of the amazing one that I had imagined. Any chance of fixing them? Please?!
I agree the lowest volume is too high. Sonos please fix it ASAP. But according to the long list of comments it seems too that Sonos don't change it 😞
My two sonos play 1 are both far too loud for sleeping. I live in an old house in the middle of the country and the speakers don’t ever go above 50% really as they are so loud and carry right through the house. Excellent for a house party. However the Bose Mini I have goes all the way up so it’s very loud and it can be super quiet for sleeping at night, it can’t be that had for finer volume control
HELLO SONOS: Can you please fix this issue!? What's up with ignoring so many people/customers with the same issues?? This has been an issue and a tread for more than 2 years now. It's simple, So get on with it - pls. Also- how very kind it would be to respond thoroughly to the remarks in here. People spend a lot of time and energy addressing these issues, the least you can do is to acknowledge your customers and answer. Thank you.
Unfortunately the arrogance of Sonos is limitless, I wonder what employee culture they have, being so blatantly oblivious of their own users and ignoring all requests.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I'll make sure your names are on the request.

As a note, you can also turn off the "loudness" boost in the equalizer, this might help to make the lower level a little quieter for you.
I would like to add my name to the list.
In many ways the clarity of the sonos system is what makes this a problem. The fact the sound is so clear at low volumes means the lack of control is very frustrating.
I'm a new user and came to these pages expecting to find a way to at the very least personalise the volume settings.
Much as I love music the volume is way beyond my current needs.
I've found the + - buttons on the device are much more sensitive than the in app or phone controls.
This problem just presented itself to me today when we had guests over. Wanted to keep a very low background volume, but it wasn't possible to have it low enough to be really comfortable to talk to each other. This didn't seem like a problem before, although many people are complaining about it from long ago. Have there been any updates recently that actually changed the volume threshold to be even worse than before?
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Agree, lowest volume is way too high, we need more detailed control in the lower part of the volume slider. Problem is with Play 1, 3(in surround setup with playbase) and 5. Please finally fix this, this has been a problem for many years.
Userlevel 1
same here, please add me to the list
Userlevel 3
Badge
same here, using 2 Play 1 in stereo on my desk, the minimum volume is way too high for background music during office work. Sadly pairing 2 Play 1 in stereo made the minimum volume louder as expected...