Amazon Echo controller

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

139 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2
You just know a good programmer with a six pack of Red Bull could knock this thing out in a few hours. The question is who is going to get it done, Sonos or Amazon... Or do we have to do it ourselves? Somebody is missing an opportunity here.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Why not add a microphone to the existing speaker systems. BoM increase can't be that large. 
Alternatively, could also have a 'listener' on the mobile controller apps (iOS , Android): "Sonos...(yes)...play Taylor Swift...(ok)". If the 'bad guys' can tap into our mobile microphones surely Sonos can too.
Yes it should be through Echo.  No need for a stand alone Sonos product.
Yes..it would be super if I could say
Alexa play the blue jays game on my sonos.

Alexa play party playlist in Living Room.
Another vote for echo integration for sonos voice control. Even if it's a third party integration using an IFTTT type interface would be okay. Just some basic controls for track skip, play, pause, and volume would be a great start. 
Userlevel 1
Although I like the name (Sonos Vox) it wouldn't be a mass market appeal like Amazon Echo. I suspect it would be the same sort of equation of people choosing the Sonos app on their phone vs the Sonos controller
Echo is a dream but the sound is meh, please make yer robots talk nice to each other? Or at least let Echo do the taking for yer robots.  It's 2015, everyone can get married now. Be cool. 
Sonos: Please, please, please. I hope this request is simple enough to understand.  You have some real fans out here.  Don't lose out to an inferior product; embrace the integration.
I love my Sonos system.  Love Love Love.  I'm getting an Echo this week and I really don't want the Echo to take over due to convenience.  Sell my Sonos? Uhg!?!
This actually shouldn't be too difficult. Sonos equipment can receive instructions via API calls. This is how the 3rd party Phonos apps for Windows Phones works. An independent developer wrote the app, it runs on Windows Phone and sends instructions over WIFI to the sonos equipment in your home. No reason someone couldn't write a similar 3rd party application that runs on Echo, takes commands via voice and relays them to the Sonos API's. Sonos could write their own or wait for Amazon or someone in the community to do it. I have no use for an Echo, but if such an app was created, I'd buy it for that very reason.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I think it would be a big win for Sonos, the only thing that might be stopping them is if they have their own voice controller in the works. I don't know if I'd pay the high price to have a proprietary Sonos controller sitting next to my Echo. Echo's versatility wins that battle hands down.
Userlevel 1
+1 - Sonos needs to engage Amazon cooperatively... Their business model is to suck the air out of a market's profit margin so they are the only competitor left. Looking at the number of existing Sonos users that listen to their inferior echo for the convenience.... That should be a big warning sign to Sonos to push integration instead of competition.
Userlevel 1
I even have an app on my Pebble that controls my Sonos systems... Amazon and Sonos just need to play well together
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
I think if Sonos doesn't do this soon Amazon is going to jump on the opportunity and start selling speakers of similar quality to Sonos. 
I just got my Echo and I can tell it "Amazon play The Doors" and it plays through the Echo speaker. Very cool. The problem is I've got a pretty bad ass Sonos setup and the Echo speaker can't compete. I would love the Echo and Sonos to play nice together so I can enjoy my music properly.
I agree. There are lots of times when I would normally listen through Sonos but end up using Echo instead because it is so much more convenient. Ideal would be for Sonos to support Amazon Prime Music and IFTTT so Echo could play through Sonos. I'm OK if the integration is limited to Amazon Prime if that's what it takes to get Amazon interested in this integration.
I just got my Echo and I can tell it "Amazon play The Doors" and it plays through the Echo speaker. Very cool. The problem is I've got a pretty bad ass Sonos setup and the Echo speaker can't compete. I would love the Echo and Sonos to play nice together so I can enjoy my music properly.
They could come out with a new Boost/Bridge that could integrate Echo and IFTTT. I would trash the brand new Boost and buy another just for IFTTT or Echo.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Perhaps in conjunction with SmartThings and IFTTT it could work. I'm going to hack around and see what happens.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I'm positive they will on the Echo II but that won't help us. I'm looking for a software solution and I'm sure it can be done if Amazon and Sonos could agree on terms.
Wy can't they just put an Audio Out on the Echo? We could handle the rest from there.
More generically, if Sonos had an open API that could be used in an IFTTT action, then all sorts of interaction models could be implemented, with or without Echo as the trigger.
Bump!  I concur!  MAKE IT HAPPEN PLEASE!
Userlevel 1
Thanks Austin. Yes, I'm aware of that, but I'd much prefer something baked-in rather than kludged.
Userlevel 1
It CAN connect to nest if you use IFFT. Google it and you will see someone created recipee to control nest with IFFT and echo.
Userlevel 1
Add me to the list. I ordered the Echo months ago and forgot about it. When it showed up, I thought, "meh" it's a curiosity. Then I plugged it in and tried it out. Like an earlier poster, I find myself using the echo (even though it has far inferior sound), because it's so convenient.  One great example: I didn't realize I could get my local stations through TuneIn - which has been right there and available via Sonos since I got my setup - until Echo found it for me. And now I listen constantly. 
I love my Sonos gear, and it's far superior to the Echo - but I find myself using the echo more often lately.  :-/
Integration between the two would be incredible for me.
Of course, I'd also like the echo to connect to my Nest thermostat too.  :-)