Amazon Echo controller

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

139 replies

It seems mattwelch attempted this already, haven't tried it though. http://github.com/mattwelch/alexa-sonos
Would Sonos please chip in and at least confirm they are working on something? Then the next question would be ETA?
Sonos and the Echo is a must have combination. Would love to use speach for controlling The Sonos music.
Ditto to all of the above.  I just got an echo and would love it to connect to my Sonos.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I'm glad they're paying attention, it's been a true grassroots effort. Now they need to get it done!
Awesome.  I sent an email to the Sonos team and they just responded telling me to check out this very forum discussion.  I'm glad everyone thinks this could be cool.  Echo is soooooo Awesome!!!!  But as a speaker it sucks.  Having the Echo control our sonos gear would be off the charts Legit.  And Amazon wants these things to happen with releasing the Echo SDK for developers.  Your Echo is on your wifi.  Sonos is on the wifi (or at least network), this should happen!!!  "Alexa, play NPR in the kitchen."  "Alexa, play Sketches of Spain in the Bedroom"  "Alexa, play Pearl Jam in the Garage."  I mean, come on, that would be freakin awesome! 
Userlevel 1
Badge
If the Sonos would work with the Amazon Echo, that would be awesome.  I don't need another Sonos box just for voice control.  I already have over 20 Sonos'.    Even to just pause all zones as I'm leaving the house instead of having to pull out the app.  
It seems mattwelch attempted this already, haven't tried it though. http://github.com/mattwelch/alexa-sonos
Sonos definitely needs a voice controller, call it the "Sonos Vox" and charge $149.95. Design it so you can set it on a coffee table and the user can change volume, play favorites, and change tracks with their voice

There, I did the tough part, now go make the product so I can buy it!

No, what they really need, is an API like any other modern platform.
Userlevel 2
Dave... thanks for posting the link to Matt's site.  It's good to see folks are working on this.  However, his work, and the work of others like him aiming for the same thing, is more of a tinkerer's project--for those that want to get into the guts of the Echo and Sonos and make mashups.  I was a developer, myself, a long time ago (seems forever ago!), but I'm not looking to play around with the software so much as I'm looking for a link between Echo and Sonos that is as polished as both the Echo and the existing Sonos controller app.  It's the same reason I'm not jumping into using IFTTT to link my echo with other apps; it seems like a workaround rather than a true, elegant solution.  I posted my enhancement suggestion here, on the Sonos forum, because I want Sonos to understand that there are existing customers who want a voice-controlled solution that is sanctioned and supported by Sonos and is not a DIY project.
Like many in this post I am more than impressed with the new Amazon Echo. Living in Australia took some work around to get Echo working and needed to contend with no local traffic or weather connect - but the device more than compensates for its short comings., Now to have it control Sonos? Yes please!! When?
Now that the Echo is in general release and will be shipping in a week or so I got a feeling this thread might get busy. 
My Echo got delivered today.  Took no time to set up.  I have a bunch of Hue lights and it works well.  It is really fast to respond and pretty impressed by how quickly it will find and play a song from Amazon Prime.  I have 13 Zones (plus 2 wireless Subs and 1 of the zones is a Playbar).  Echo cannot touch the sound quality of Sonos, but I will tell you after just a few hours with the Echo, not having it or something comparable for Sonos would be a sin......Sonos will loose some biz here to folks who want the simplicity and not as concerned over the sound quality.   My wife is already listening to the Echo rather than the 2 Play 3's in the Kitchen....
Sonos....you should listen to the people.   I agree that  this forum may get really busy...now that Echo is shipping....
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
This is the perfect argument, it's a win for everyone. I've got a feeling if the two parties got together they could knock this out in an afternoon. I already bought a Belkin WeMo outlet just because it's cool and works with Echo, imagine all the new business. Sonos fans would need an Echo, and Echo fans would all buy Sonos systems.. What are they waiting for.?
Userlevel 2
I agree.  Amazon has the jump on the voice interface and is improving it regularly.

Sonos has the high-end sound experience and works extremely well.  

No need for Sonos to develop their own voice controller if they allow Amazon to access the Sonos controller app hooks.  

And there's definitely no good reason for Amazon to try to catch up with respect to speaker variety and quality.  

An existing Sonos system would only be that much more valuable with the addition of an Echo voice interface layer.  

Echo will be more valuable, likewise, with the ability to control Sonos and play Amazon Prime Music and Amazon Prime Playlists via Sonos.
I keep accidnently trying to do it...seems so natural, cant wait!
I think it would be a big win for Sonos, the only thing that might be stopping them is if they have their own voice controller in the works. I don't know if I'd pay the high price to have a proprietary Sonos controller sitting next to my Echo. Echo's versatility wins that battle hands down.
Amazon through its sheer scale will always be able to provide a better voice recognition cloud service than Sonos could do on its own
+1 - Sonos needs to engage Amazon cooperatively... Their business model is to suck the air out of a market's profit margin so they are the only competitor left. Looking at the number of existing Sonos users that listen to their inferior echo for the convenience.... That should be a big warning sign to Sonos to push integration instead of competition.
Completely agree. Paradigm shifts happen all the time when new technology enables it. Sonos was one of the first and definitely the best for mesh networked home music but the introduction of Echo is so disruptive that many of us with reconsider unless we get integration between them.
I'm tempted to give it a go.. Have done lots of AWS development... Would be fun to give Echo and Sonos a go.. Now just need to find time
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Now that the Echo is in general release and will be shipping in a week or so I got a feeling this thread might get busy. I wonder if anyone at Sonos reads these and could be bothered to respond.  We just moved and have held off on buying four new Play 3s because we're waiting to see what happens. 
Came in here to beg for the same feature.  Would drive me to buy more echo's and more Sonos equipment (already have 30+ zones over 3 homes)
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
I would sell all my Sonos stuff and buy another product with similar sound quality for this feature. Our Sonos system is starting to gather dust as everyone around here just finds it so much easier to use the Echo to listen to the music they want to hear.
I would buy the echo if it had this feature.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Amazon just made its SDK public, even adding development funding for third parties: https://developer.amazon.com/public/solutions/devices/echo. Anybody got the appropriate skillset and some time on their hands?
Sweet! I'll buy the Red Bull!
Userlevel 1
As a proof of concept, this guy got it working: http://mattwel.ch/voice-control-for-the-sonos-with-an-echo/ The overall experience needs a little tuning, but it shows that it can be done without significant development effort. It truly is a matter of will. I believe Sonos needs to do it, they have the equipment on site (the bridge) and the incentive (to keep their customer base from drifting to Echo) -- and the expertise of developing quite polished solutions.
Userlevel 2
Amazon just made its SDK public, even adding development funding for third parties: https://developer.amazon.com/public/solutions/devices/echo. Anybody got the appropriate skillset and some time on their hands?