Amazon Echo controller

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

139 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Sonos definitely needs a voice controller, call it the "Sonos Vox" and charge $149.95. Design it so you can set it on a coffee table and the user can change volume, play favorites, and change tracks with their voice

There, I did the tough part, now go make the product so I can buy it!

While I like @Steve's idea, perhaps price it at $99 and make it a white hockey puck that has location context (what zone it is in...)

LOVE my 14 zones of Sonos, but you've got to engage the voice/AI world.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Just stumbled onto this . . .

http://www.gizmag.com/josh-ai-amazon-echo-alexa-app-sonos/44375/

Maybe there is some hope on the way for those of us that continue to hold out hope!
Userlevel 1
Sonos,

Sadly, I listen to my Echo exclusively all day yesterday. It's so simple and easy.
I registered on this community specifically so I could vote for this feature. I love the Echo and my Sonos system. Music sounds way better than the Echo, but the voice interface with Amazon Echo is unsurpassed. I find myself asking Alexa to play a song just because it is so easy, but then find myself disappointed as I know how much better it would sound if it were then playing through my Sonos speakers.

+1 Echo control of Sonos, or handoff

"Alexa, connect to kitchen speakers" - Could connect all Echo output to a sonos zone.
"Alexa, play the Beatles in the Family Room"- Randomly shuffles Beatles music as it does now, but plays it in the family room zone.

There is so much potential!

Exactly why i am on here. Same experience. Love them both.
Userlevel 1
I really hope Sonos is able to see the big picture here. With Alexa, Cortana, Siri, and Google Now, voice activation is real and coming to a home near you. They need to get on board with these service, not compete with them.
Long time Sonos user and fan, first time poster here. We're facing a tough choice right now - we are remodeling our house and have decided that Echo/Alexa is going to the front end for just about everything. So ... Sonos, step it up please! Not sure if we'll sign up to a new multi-zone (8 zone) Sonos system that is not natively controllable by Echo. Our CR200 controllers are on their last legs and the apps just don't compare with the simplicity of Echo voice command. Please keep me as a customer, I beg you...
Now that Alexa has an API via AVS, doesn't that mean this integration can actually happen?? https://developer.amazon.com/appsandservices/solutions/alexa/alexa-voice-service
Userlevel 2
Badge
Another idea, if Sonos had direct integration with Echo, you would be able to set default output settings directly in the Amazon Echo controller. One setting could be, "Send output to selected sonos zone any time you ask Echo to play music." From there, I could select that option and then specify from a list of drop down list of zones already set up in my sonos system, such as Family Room. Once selected, anytime I ask Alexa to play music, it would automatically send the output to my family room zone. Since sonos can stream from a variety of services, I would think it could accept a music stream from the Echo. Of course, any default setting could be overridden with a verbal command to Alexa.

I realize that would require tremendous cooperation between Amazon and Sonos development teams. It sure doesn't sound like there is desire for that to happen, but who knows. One thing I do know . . . I'm not buying any more Sonos hardware until I know where this is headed. In the absence of integration between the two, I see two possibilities:

1. Amazon develops speakers of Sonos Quality, in which case my entire Sonos system goes on eBay and gets replaced.
2. Sonos develops Echo quality voice control with all the features and performance we see today with the current device.

Both options seems like a long way off to me, compared to:

3. Seamless integration between Amazon Echo and Sonos systems, which could be done hopefully through programming and no hardware modifications or adds.

Option 3 could be here relatively fast and both companies would benefit from increased sales. If I have an Echo, I would be tempted to buy Sonos speakers to improve the music playing experience. If I had a Sonos system, I would be tempted to buy an Echo to improve the control and overall experience. If I had neither, an integrated package would be very interesting to me.
Hi everyone. So I got my dot. Hooked it up to the play 5 with a line in cable, and it generally works well when I ask alexa something. The trouble is, that after Alexa responds, Sonos stays on the "line in" setting, and whatever was previously playing through sonos is no longer playing. Anyone out there have suggestions what to do, or is this a fix we just need to wait for from Sonos?
It looks like Sonos is going to build its own version of Alexa, not use Alexa Voice Services.. That's really sad.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/10/11191978/sonos-Amazon-echo-alexa

I'm not sure how you got to that conclusion from the linked article. The author himself (after an admitted "wildest speculation" that Sonos teams up with Siri/Apple) states:

For Sonos, the answer's probably as simple as tightly integrating its speakers with the new Amazon Dot, or baking in the Alexa Voice Service as Invoxia did with the Triby.

At no point in the article does he say Sonos is "going to build its own version of Alexa".
It looks like Sonos is going to build its own version of Alexa, not use Alexa Voice Services.. That's really sad.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/10/11191978/sonos-Amazon-echo-alexa
Was playing with the free version of Talk to Sonos last night. Works fairly well. It would be pointless if I needed to launch the app or press a button to activate it, but it does have a continuous mode. So, I installed it on a docked Nexus 7, in continuous mode. Then started trying to control it from about 10 ft. away. Had to shout to be heard, but it was pretty good about understanding what I said. "Paula, radio KPLU", and she did. "Paula, playlist piano Jazz in Office". No problem.

Think I'll order an external mic, and see what happens. Maybe this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-145037-ME-51S-Stereo-Microphone/dp/B000BTAH62/ref=pd_sim_504_5
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Interesting, thanks Chicks for posting that.
Someone posted the Talk to Sonos app in one of these threads this morning, but the search function on this ridiculous forum software is utterly useless, so can't find it.

Anyway, perhaps a clue to Sonos upcoming voice control. They just need to build a headless android device with microphone array, and this software, which uses Google 's voice recognition. Works well. Even discovered my paired Play:1s as a stereo pair, which no other UPNP software has done. Cheap, fairly effective on a phone or tablet, would be as good as Alexa with a microphone array.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.talk.control.upnp&hl=en
Badge
+1. I use Echo so much more now vs my Sonos, and I have 8 Sonos speakers! With 2 echo pucks on order, I'm worried Sonos is on a sunset path...
Adding my +1 to the creating an official skill for Echo to control my Sonos system.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I registered on this community specifically so I could vote for this feature. I love the Echo and my Sonos system. Music sounds way better than the Echo, but the voice interface with Amazon Echo is unsurpassed. I find myself asking Alexa to play a song just because it is so easy, but then find myself disappointed as I know how much better it would sound if it were then playing through my Sonos speakers.

+1 Echo control of Sonos, or handoff

"Alexa, connect to kitchen speakers" - Could connect all Echo output to a sonos zone.
"Alexa, play the Beatles in the Family Room"- Randomly shuffles Beatles music as it does now, but plays it in the family room zone.

There is so much potential!
And then there was this:

"Sonos quietly added microphones to its latest PLAY:5 speaker, but describes them as future-proofing for potential new features, and says that they're currently inactive."

http://www.slashgear.com/amazon-echo-adds-spotify-as-alexa-sets-sights-on-sonos-04425526/
Badge
I've known about Echo for just a little bit. The ads seen just around Super Bowl should have sparked yet another series of requests out to Sonos. I very much would like to hear from them (vs Users) on the subject. I am very much looking forward and hopeful that Echo will be able to control Sonos at some point in the near future.

My friends admire my Sonos set up. Coupled with Echo, their minds will blow.

What say you Sonos? Any hope?
Can't we all just get along? Must I buy another proprietary device? I already have Sonos and I already have Echo. How about this Sonos, work with Amazon to achieve compatibility with Echo and I'll buy more Sonos speakers. You sell more stuff and I don't have to have another remote control device that does exactly what the other one does, almost. Win-win.
There are a ton of posts all wishing for SONOS voice control. One way or the other SONOS needs to do this soon. All Amazon has to do is make a higher quality set that will support zones... Wait!!!! They could buy SONOS instead!
Userlevel 1
[quote=Steve_199] If Amazon and Sonos would play nice with each other, that would be cool too. I don't care who or how, I just want.

If Amazon can play nice with Roku and allow it to display Amazon Prime Video, I'd think Sonos would have a decent chance to get some sort of integration done. Or maybe even partner to build a speaker jointly with Sonos sound quality and the Echo's voice recognition system.
I opened a new thread but realized should have posted it here. It enables a rudimentary voice control through Echo

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/sonos-controller-with-wemo-switch-and-amazon-echo-speech-6732040
Userlevel 2
It CAN connect to nest if you use IFFT. Google it and you will see someone created recipee to control nest with IFFT and echo.

Interesting, would you mind sharing details how to do this....!
Badge
I've got the integration working like described, for those who are interested:

https://youtu.be/nQ5h1jPsqjI

It's working very smooth, all of the Amazon Echo native commands can be used.

Nicely done Arjan_7. Smart. The next step could be to create "command songs" that, when played, control other functions of the sonos, e.g. upload SonosShuffleOn.mp3 (fake song, 10s, no sound). Alexa, play SonosShuffleOn, and alexa plays the empty file. This will then be detected in the queue by Pythong server on my desktop, via pitangui call, and results in command to sonos to turn on shuffle, etc etc

The "command song" names should be easily recognized by the Echo (ie not resemble "regular" songs in the library) and sufficiently distinct to ensure the right action is taken... This shows promise!

PS in the ideal case, we would be able to register our echo device in the desktop controller once, which would then poll pitangui to take care of this whole thing without a local python app.