Amazon Echo controller

Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I know it's a pipe dream but if you took the new Amazon Echo and used it to control Sonos, that would be unbelievable awesome.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

139 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Just received my Echo today and the second thing I thought was "I need to have this kind of control for my Sonos" - either as a Sonos Native product or via Echo.
My first thought was more childish: ask the Echo "what's a henway"
Userlevel 2
I'm pretty sure that if Sonos worked *with* Amazon, the Echo could talk to their products. Amazon adds another capability to it's product, and Sonos adds functionality to its products without having to develop hardware. Sounds like a win-win to me...
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Sonos definitely needs a voice controller, call it the "Sonos Vox" and charge $149.95. Design it so you can set it on a coffee table and the user can change volume, play favorites, and change tracks with their voice

There, I did the tough part, now go make the product so I can buy it!
Userlevel 2
Badge
I registered on this community specifically so I could vote for this feature. I love the Echo and my Sonos system. Music sounds way better than the Echo, but the voice interface with Amazon Echo is unsurpassed. I find myself asking Alexa to play a song just because it is so easy, but then find myself disappointed as I know how much better it would sound if it were then playing through my Sonos speakers.

+1 Echo control of Sonos, or handoff

"Alexa, connect to kitchen speakers" - Could connect all Echo output to a sonos zone.
"Alexa, play the Beatles in the Family Room"- Randomly shuffles Beatles music as it does now, but plays it in the family room zone.

There is so much potential!
Userlevel 2
Trying to create a groundswell for this feature....me, too!
I just got my Echo and I can tell it "Amazon play The Doors" and it plays through the Echo speaker. Very cool. The problem is I've got a pretty bad ass Sonos setup and the Echo speaker can't compete. I would love the Echo and Sonos to play nice together so I can enjoy my music properly.
I agree. There are lots of times when I would normally listen through Sonos but end up using Echo instead because it is so much more convenient. Ideal would be for Sonos to support Amazon Prime Music and IFTTT so Echo could play through Sonos. I'm OK if the integration is limited to Amazon Prime if that's what it takes to get Amazon interested in this integration.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
You can't just add this feature to sonos, it would need a whole new product to work like the Echo.
I suggested Sonos make their own voice controller, it just seems a natural next step. The Echo doesn't have anywhere near the sound quality of Sonos yet I still find myself using it because saying what I want is easier than finding my phone or my iPad, hitting the code, opening the app and finding the song or station I want. ... If Amazon and Sonos would play nice with each other, that would be cool too. I don't care who or how, I just want.
Userlevel 1
Just sent a detailed email on this topic to both Sonos and the Amazon Echo folks. Both products would win. Can't be that hard to do as Echo has launched integration with various wifi gadgets (lights, Nest) and also IFTTT in the last month.
Userlevel 1
Add me to the list. I ordered the Echo months ago and forgot about it. When it showed up, I thought, "meh" it's a curiosity. Then I plugged it in and tried it out. Like an earlier poster, I find myself using the echo (even though it has far inferior sound), because it's so convenient.  One great example: I didn't realize I could get my local stations through TuneIn - which has been right there and available via Sonos since I got my setup - until Echo found it for me. And now I listen constantly. 
I love my Sonos gear, and it's far superior to the Echo - but I find myself using the echo more often lately.  :-/
Integration between the two would be incredible for me.
Of course, I'd also like the echo to connect to my Nest thermostat too.  :-)
Userlevel 1
Came here to post the exact same thing
More generically, if Sonos had an open API that could be used in an IFTTT action, then all sorts of interaction models could be implemented, with or without Echo as the trigger.
I managed to get Ryan and Jishi's Echo controller working (start at http://ryangraciano.com/post/124770680942/controlling-sonos-with-amazon-echo#disqus_thread if you are trying to figure out where to start). I wouldn't call the setup easy, but it's probably doable for a determined person who is moderately comfortable with tech stuff.

I love Sonos so much more with Echo controlling it that I've already ordered more speakers. Sonos developers, I hope you're pursuing this - you guys are going to sell a lot of hardware when people see what a Sonos-Echo integration looks like, but most people aren't going to be willing to go the do-it-yourself route that it requires at the moment.
Adding my +1 to the creating an official skill for Echo to control my Sonos system.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Another idea, if Sonos had direct integration with Echo, you would be able to set default output settings directly in the Amazon Echo controller. One setting could be, "Send output to selected sonos zone any time you ask Echo to play music." From there, I could select that option and then specify from a list of drop down list of zones already set up in my sonos system, such as Family Room. Once selected, anytime I ask Alexa to play music, it would automatically send the output to my family room zone. Since sonos can stream from a variety of services, I would think it could accept a music stream from the Echo. Of course, any default setting could be overridden with a verbal command to Alexa.

I realize that would require tremendous cooperation between Amazon and Sonos development teams. It sure doesn't sound like there is desire for that to happen, but who knows. One thing I do know . . . I'm not buying any more Sonos hardware until I know where this is headed. In the absence of integration between the two, I see two possibilities:

1. Amazon develops speakers of Sonos Quality, in which case my entire Sonos system goes on eBay and gets replaced.
2. Sonos develops Echo quality voice control with all the features and performance we see today with the current device.

Both options seems like a long way off to me, compared to:

3. Seamless integration between Amazon Echo and Sonos systems, which could be done hopefully through programming and no hardware modifications or adds.

Option 3 could be here relatively fast and both companies would benefit from increased sales. If I have an Echo, I would be tempted to buy Sonos speakers to improve the music playing experience. If I had a Sonos system, I would be tempted to buy an Echo to improve the control and overall experience. If I had neither, an integrated package would be very interesting to me.
I registered on this community specifically so I could vote for this feature. I love the Echo and my Sonos system. Music sounds way better than the Echo, but the voice interface with Amazon Echo is unsurpassed. I find myself asking Alexa to play a song just because it is so easy, but then find myself disappointed as I know how much better it would sound if it were then playing through my Sonos speakers.

+1 Echo control of Sonos, or handoff

"Alexa, connect to kitchen speakers" - Could connect all Echo output to a sonos zone.
"Alexa, play the Beatles in the Family Room"- Randomly shuffles Beatles music as it does now, but plays it in the family room zone.

There is so much potential!

Exactly why i am on here. Same experience. Love them both.
Should work fine communicating over Wi-Fi... that's how iPhones and iPads control Sonos. 
Sonos speakers may use mesh to communicate amongst themselves.. but at least one or a hub is connected to your network which is where commands are transmitted through. Would LOVE LOVE LOVE if amazon Echo could just output its audio through sonos or next best thing.. at least be able to control audio playback of sonos. The echo speaker isn't nearly as powerful and full sounding as a sonos 1 or any of the higher level sonos speakers.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Perhaps in conjunction with SmartThings and IFTTT it could work. I'm going to hack around and see what happens.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
I think if Sonos doesn't do this soon Amazon is going to jump on the opportunity and start selling speakers of similar quality to Sonos. 
Userlevel 1
+1 - Sonos needs to engage Amazon cooperatively... Their business model is to suck the air out of a market's profit margin so they are the only competitor left. Looking at the number of existing Sonos users that listen to their inferior echo for the convenience.... That should be a big warning sign to Sonos to push integration instead of competition.
Sonos: Please, please, please. I hope this request is simple enough to understand.  You have some real fans out here.  Don't lose out to an inferior product; embrace the integration.
Userlevel 1
As a proof of concept, this guy got it working: http://mattwel.ch/voice-control-for-the-sonos-with-an-echo/ The overall experience needs a little tuning, but it shows that it can be done without significant development effort. It truly is a matter of will. I believe Sonos needs to do it, they have the equipment on site (the bridge) and the incentive (to keep their customer base from drifting to Echo) -- and the expertise of developing quite polished solutions.
Sonos definitely needs a voice controller, call it the "Sonos Vox" and charge $149.95. Design it so you can set it on a coffee table and the user can change volume, play favorites, and change tracks with their voice

There, I did the tough part, now go make the product so I can buy it!

No, what they really need, is an API like any other modern platform.
I've got the integration working like described, for those who are interested:

https://youtu.be/nQ5h1jPsqjI

It's working very smooth, all of the Amazon Echo native commands can be used.

Can you package up an app and sell it. I want to be able to just buy a piece of software and or hardware and have my Sonos work with my Amazon Echo.
There are a ton of posts all wishing for SONOS voice control. One way or the other SONOS needs to do this soon. All Amazon has to do is make a higher quality set that will support zones... Wait!!!! They could buy SONOS instead!