Amazon Echo controller

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

139 replies

Can't we all just get along? Must I buy another proprietary device? I already have Sonos and I already have Echo. How about this Sonos, work with Amazon to achieve compatibility with Echo and I'll buy more Sonos speakers. You sell more stuff and I don't have to have another remote control device that does exactly what the other one does, almost. Win-win.
Someone posted the Talk to Sonos app in one of these threads this morning, but the search function on this ridiculous forum software is utterly useless, so can't find it.

Anyway, perhaps a clue to Sonos upcoming voice control. They just need to build a headless android device with microphone array, and this software, which uses Google 's voice recognition. Works well. Even discovered my paired Play:1s as a stereo pair, which no other UPNP software has done. Cheap, fairly effective on a phone or tablet, would be as good as Alexa with a microphone array.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.talk.control.upnp&hl=en
It looks like Sonos is going to build its own version of Alexa, not use Alexa Voice Services.. That's really sad.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/10/11191978/sonos-Amazon-echo-alexa
Now that Alexa has an API via AVS, doesn't that mean this integration can actually happen?? https://developer.amazon.com/appsandservices/solutions/alexa/alexa-voice-service
Long time Sonos user and fan, first time poster here. We're facing a tough choice right now - we are remodeling our house and have decided that Echo/Alexa is going to the front end for just about everything. So ... Sonos, step it up please! Not sure if we'll sign up to a new multi-zone (8 zone) Sonos system that is not natively controllable by Echo. Our CR200 controllers are on their last legs and the apps just don't compare with the simplicity of Echo voice command. Please keep me as a customer, I beg you...
Userlevel 1
I really hope Sonos is able to see the big picture here. With Alexa, Cortana, Siri, and Google Now, voice activation is real and coming to a home near you. They need to get on board with these service, not compete with them.
Userlevel 1
Sonos,

Sadly, I listen to my Echo exclusively all day yesterday. It's so simple and easy.
You didn't say "vague dates", "vague features" or "vague progress reports", you said "vague promises".

Sonos promised Echo/Alexa voice control of all Sonos devices currently or formerly sold. They promised it by 2017.

Nothing vague about that. The fact they are not giving specific dates, features, or progress reports are not "vague promises", because they never promised you would get specific dates, features, or progress reports. Also, if you think you are going to get them, you are going to be quite disappointed. It is Sonos' policy to not discuss specific dates, features, or progress reports, and they aren't going to change that.

The simple fact is, they release things when the testing merits it, not when the calendar changes to a certain date. They release a feature because it is viable, not because it is listed on a spec sheet or press release. As to progress reports, the project is assumed to be in private beta, and they take the word "private" very seriously. If beta testers are bound by an NDA to not disclose anything, I can't see why one would expect a Sonos employee to give a detailed progress report in a public forum.

A Sonos rep has stated it is being worked on, and it is on schedule. Not much more they can say than that.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Well, congrats to Sonos on completing a successful Alexa-Sonos integration. Nice job!

Now how about sending me a new "Sonos One" as a thanks for the "best customer suggestion that's going to make us a truckload of money, circa 2015"? I know Sonos would have figured it all out without me, but it really was a great idea.

I'll be checking my mail in anticipation!

I would buy that.
Userlevel 1
It CAN connect to nest if you use IFFT. Google it and you will see someone created recipee to control nest with IFFT and echo.
Wy can't they just put an Audio Out on the Echo? We could handle the rest from there.
I just got my Echo and I can tell it "Amazon play The Doors" and it plays through the Echo speaker. Very cool. The problem is I've got a pretty bad ass Sonos setup and the Echo speaker can't compete. I would love the Echo and Sonos to play nice together so I can enjoy my music properly.
Userlevel 1
I even have an app on my Pebble that controls my Sonos systems... Amazon and Sonos just need to play well together
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I think it would be a big win for Sonos, the only thing that might be stopping them is if they have their own voice controller in the works. I don't know if I'd pay the high price to have a proprietary Sonos controller sitting next to my Echo. Echo's versatility wins that battle hands down.
I love my Sonos system.  Love Love Love.  I'm getting an Echo this week and I really don't want the Echo to take over due to convenience.  Sell my Sonos? Uhg!?!
Echo is a dream but the sound is meh, please make yer robots talk nice to each other? Or at least let Echo do the taking for yer robots.  It's 2015, everyone can get married now. Be cool. 
Another vote for echo integration for sonos voice control. Even if it's a third party integration using an IFTTT type interface would be okay. Just some basic controls for track skip, play, pause, and volume would be a great start. 
Yes..it would be super if I could say
Alexa play the blue jays game on my sonos.

Alexa play party playlist in Living Room.
Yes it should be through Echo.  No need for a stand alone Sonos product.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
You just know a good programmer with a six pack of Red Bull could knock this thing out in a few hours. The question is who is going to get it done, Sonos or Amazon... Or do we have to do it ourselves? Somebody is missing an opportunity here.
Userlevel 2
Amazon just made its SDK public, even adding development funding for third parties: https://developer.amazon.com/public/solutions/devices/echo. Anybody got the appropriate skillset and some time on their hands?
I would buy the echo if it had this feature.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
I would sell all my Sonos stuff and buy another product with similar sound quality for this feature. Our Sonos system is starting to gather dust as everyone around here just finds it so much easier to use the Echo to listen to the music they want to hear.
Came in here to beg for the same feature.  Would drive me to buy more echo's and more Sonos equipment (already have 30+ zones over 3 homes)