Amazon Echo controller

Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I know it's a pipe dream but if you took the new Amazon Echo and used it to control Sonos, that would be unbelievable awesome.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

139 replies

It was announced that the private beta would be at the end of 2016, with a general release in 2017. No reason to think the public beta will see the light of day until well after the new year.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Ok, I'm reading about all these great plans they have to integrate Sonos with Alexa and how it's in a "private beta test".

Considering that the first thing I did when I got my brand new Echo over 2 years ago was to come here and post this topic letting them know these two products would work great together. Telling Sonos that this is a feature they needed and I wanted them to develop... Considering that (as far as I can tell) I was the first person to bring this idea to their attention, I've got one question...

Where was my private beta test invitation???
I don't believe there is yet any "super secret double probation" type of beta test. Could be wrong about that, possibly, but if there were, I'd suspect it was only employees at this point. I think the fasted method for us non-employees to be involved would be to sign up for the normal beta system. I suspect that would give us the earliest access.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Well it's a few years later and well into 2017 and still no real integration with Alexa. There were some vague promises with vague timelines. There were rumors about secret beta tests and possible release dates, but in the end it adds up to a big ol pile of jack squat.

Sorry guys, I don't think it's going to happen.
Well it's a few years later and well into 2017 and still no real integration with Alexa. There were some vague promises with vague timelines. There were rumors about secret beta tests and possible release dates, but in the end it adds up to a big ol pile of jack squat.

Sorry guys, I don't think it's going to happen.

"Vague promises"? There was a major press release, several articles in trade magazines, interviews with the CEOs of both companies, a co-produced promotional video, and several updates here that the implementation is currently being worked on. This from a company that is usually very tight-lipped about current and future products.

I'm not sure you know what the term "vague" actually means. 😃
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Vague, as in a lot of talk but nothing concrete. No date, no details, no results.

If you can tell me the exact release date, the features they're going to offer or even something showing us the progress to date, I'd love to see it. Point me to an article or the CEO interviews where they give the details.

"The implementation is currently being worked on" is the definition of a vague answer.
You didn't say "vague dates", "vague features" or "vague progress reports", you said "vague promises".

Sonos promised Echo/Alexa voice control of all Sonos devices currently or formerly sold. They promised it by 2017.

Nothing vague about that. The fact they are not giving specific dates, features, or progress reports are not "vague promises", because they never promised you would get specific dates, features, or progress reports. Also, if you think you are going to get them, you are going to be quite disappointed. It is Sonos' policy to not discuss specific dates, features, or progress reports, and they aren't going to change that.

The simple fact is, they release things when the testing merits it, not when the calendar changes to a certain date. They release a feature because it is viable, not because it is listed on a spec sheet or press release. As to progress reports, the project is assumed to be in private beta, and they take the word "private" very seriously. If beta testers are bound by an NDA to not disclose anything, I can't see why one would expect a Sonos employee to give a detailed progress report in a public forum.

A Sonos rep has stated it is being worked on, and it is on schedule. Not much more they can say than that.
I'm starting to think that the release date will be strategically set based on marketing. By that I mean that it will be released when it will benefit Sonos and Amazon (mostly Amazon) the most.

Amazon has a new product going on sale tomorrow. I can see why the wouldn't want the sonos integration to go out before that so that it doesn't hurt the new products sales.

It could also be that Amazon wants to release this with another speaker manufacturer, say Bose, at the same time.

It could be that they don't want to release it till the Christmas shopping season kicks in. They don't want it to be old news, and it would be a great way to knock the wind out of Apple's sales a week before the Homepod comes out.

For all we know, they are planning a new Sonos product with Alexa built in. I can see where the wouldn't want to release an integration with current products until the new product is ready to be at least announced.

There is all sorts of things that we don't know. Telling the customer why something isn't going to be released exactly when the customer wants it isn't going to really help much. Particularly when there isn't really a good alternative product the customer can go out and buy at the moment.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
If they said "by 2017" that's already a miss on a vague promise. It's mid 2017 and still nothing.

If it's supposed to be some big secret, it's not. They've announced it fifty different ways. If we all know they're working on it, the next questions are, how's it coming along and when will we get it? We're not asking to see the code.

They're not trying to beat some other Sonos controller to market, they're the only ones doing it. Who are they trying to keep it secret from? Why not give us a detailed progress report, we are the only ones who care.

Alexa already controls my lights, adjusts the temperature in my home, reads audio books to me, calls me an Uber when I need one, plus a hundred other thing. All these skills have been conceived, developed and implemented since my original post over two years ago. If everyone else can figure it out, why can't Sonos? Why is playing music through a different set of speakers such a monumental task? This should have been rolled out a long time ago. What's the holdup? And why is the holdup such a secret?

I even went to the source and asked Alexa when we can we expect her to work with Sonos. She said, "Sorry, I couldn't find the answer to your question."

That's alright Alexa, nobody can.
Sigh. :8
Does anyone know whether the Alexa integration will be an upgrade to existing Sonos devices, or whether there'll be a hardware upgrade/new device(s)?

I've been thinking about buying a Sonos system for a while but have been holding off, as I don't want to have to buy another one in order to get Alexa support. Seems to me that for full integration Sonos will need to add microphones to their speakers, so you can talk to Alexa from anywhere in the house that has Sonos....

If anyone has inside info (e.g. from beta testing) then pls let me know!

-Dave
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Does anyone know whether the Alexa integration will be an upgrade to existing Sonos devices, or whether there'll be a hardware upgrade/new device(s)?

I've been thinking about buying a Sonos system for a while but have been holding off, as I don't want to have to buy another one in order to get Alexa support. Seems to me that for full integration Sonos will need to add microphones to their speakers, so you can talk to Alexa from anywhere in the house that has Sonos....

-Dave

Nobody is going to give you "inside" information!

What we would note is that Sonos have never obsoleted any of their players and it seems unlikely that they would start now.

-Dave

No inside info (and you won't hear any), but the press release stated the Alexa/Sonos implementation will work with all current and previously sold Sonos and Alexa devices. So no worries, you will not need any new hardware if you purchase now. You will need an Alexa device wherever you wish to use the voice control. The Dot is the option of choice.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Well, congrats to Sonos on completing a successful Alexa-Sonos integration. Nice job!

Now how about sending me a new "Sonos One" as a thanks for the "best customer suggestion that's going to make us a truckload of money, circa 2015"? I know Sonos would have figured it all out without me, but it really was a great idea.

I'll be checking my mail in anticipation!