A linux controller is needed.

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

258 replies

+1 please take the time to make this work on linux.
Sonos, please do! It's not just for Linux desktop users, but anyone wanting to build an embedded system (for which Linux is much better than Windows) incorporating a Sonos system. It's also not that hard if you compile against Wine (for C++ applications) or Mono (for .net applications) and you can use the same codebase if you work around the older headers or features missing from the Linux platform. Or you could build your desktop app using a portable framework such as QT or WxWidgets that allows you to build the same software for Windows, Linux and Mac from a single codebase.
Userlevel 1
Sonos, please do! It's not just for Linux desktop users, but anyone wanting to build an embedded system (for which Linux is much better than Windows) incorporating a Sonos system. It's also not that hard if you compile against Wine (for C++ applications) or Mono (for .net applications) and you can use the same codebase if you work around the older headers or features missing from the Linux platform. Or you could build your desktop app using a portable framework such as QT or WxWidgets that allows you to build the same software for Windows, Linux and Mac from a single codebase.
Please, dear Sonos people, listen not only to your fantastic system, buy also to our questions, pleas and wishes.
++++1
A bit of double-talk there. Of course there is not and likely WILL not be the same numbers of users of a native Linux Sonos controller. That is never why ANY software was EVER developed for Linux. If you truly believe in it, and do in fact use it to power such a portion of your company, then in fact I would say that you OWE it to the community to create such an application. As you well know, in this world, maintaining it, if you release it correctly, can well take care of itself.
I love Sonos after just a month owning them, but this post is very very disappointing and feels disingenuous. Boo.
++++1
A bit of double-talk there. Of course there is not and likely WILL not be the same numbers of users of a native Linux Sonos controller. That is never why ANY software was EVER developed for Linux. If you truly believe in it, and do in fact use it to power such a portion of your company, then in fact I would say that you OWE it to the community to create such an application. As you well know, in this world, maintaining it, if you release it correctly, can well take care of itself.
I love Sonos after just a month owning them, but this post is very very disappointing and feels disingenuous. Boo.
As we only use LINUX in our home, I really need a config solution for our SONOS products!
So PLEASE get us one, this should be quite easy!!!
Adding my voice to those who ask for a Linux version of the controller.
Was about to spend 400€ in two play 1 when the vendor told me that was not compatible with linux. If you don't want to develop a client for whatever reason, you could open the API so that the linux community can develop it !
I would suggest to add a specific clause to the GNU license which forbids companies to use it, if they do nothing in return.
In the mean time, if you possess a NAS drive such as that from Synology, you can simply install 'audio station' and then use 'audio station's' media player to stream your music straight to your sonos- device(s). The media player is pretty basic (at least compared to the likes of amarok or rhythmbox), but it supports playlists, cover art, radio stations, some streaming services, catches lyrics and.... most importantly ...  is not affected by the 65,000 songs barrier.
I'm disappointed that Sonos has taken this stance. Although I am new to Linux, and I could continue to control my Sonos with mobile, or a windows computer, there is a point of principle here that makes me inclined to switch to another music play system. Shame on you sonos.
I just want to add my voice to those requesting a Linux Controller. Please, guys! Do it for world peace!
Indeed... they are obligated to do something - give the community the resource and it will be done.
+ 1

both my office (5 users) and my home devices (4 PCs/laptops) run either Ubuntu or Mint.
Please provide a Linux controller or an API to work with.
Provide an API, or at least build your Desktop apps in a way that would make them easily portable. Or maybe just hire software people that have some vision. 
+1 -- would make me more likely to buy additional Sonos products in future. 
Definite +1 for a Linux native solution. Wine is not a solution. Its not rocket science if the system already uses Linux, Sonos has the skills in house. Very disappointed.
+1 - It is a shame that the controller is not ported to Linux. We, as a family, use Ubuntu. Please, make an effort.
Userlevel 2
The great problem, dear Sonos, is that you are not interested in linux client and not able to build a wine runnable application. If your controller runs on wine, linux people stop bugging you asking for a linux client!!!
I'm a tech guy using Linux, and the only one in this office who cannot play something on the Sonos.
Hey Sonos, The family household runs on Ubuntu here! 

I just bought  Sonos Play:3 without checking it was compatible, more fool me.  I've got it working in a windows VM but it's been a pain. 

You have built your product using Linux, do the right thing by your customers and give something back to the OpenSource community!!
This is really a poor company decision. Its not that much work to add a linux controller and with the removal of the actual sonos controllers from the product line, im sure that a ton of people would love to make linux based control stations (i would use a RasPi). We just bought a $2000 set and i dont want to have to use my phone or computer all the time, i would like a linux controller. It wouldnt be hard to develop so please reconsider this
+1 Sonos for Linux! Homeautomation Systems on Linux also waiting for this!
Userlevel 1
Badge
There is a working controller, it doesn't come from Sonos (shame on you!), though. If you install the Kodi media server (most Linux distros have pre-packaged binaries available in their software shops/repos), it comes with a sonos add-on. All you need is to activate the add-on, configure it in a couple of very simple steps and then lean back and enjoy. The add-on does not fully replace the sonos-controller, but most basic functions are covered. A few nice extras include the download and display of artist biographies and  slideshows.  If you decide to use it and find it does the job well, spread the word.