A linux controller is needed.

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

258 replies

Badge +18
It's a shame there will be no app for linux, but as other people have mentioned the below solution is offering a workaround through playonlinux.  I'm using Ubuntu 13.10 x86_64.

https://plus.google.com/106514939597919545192/posts/cWX2bhqayhs

This is great, thanks for sharing.
Sonos is officially supporting 5 different platforms, which aren't all exactly blessed with a majorly big market share (Apple Desktop systems), yet your reasoning for not supporting GNU/Linux is exactly that, market share?

One of the reasons why GNU/Linux is not widely used for home desktops is companies like Sonos, who decide to dance around free software platform support like the proverbial beat around the bush.

If you really do like Linux as you claim you do, then take it on you to do something for that ecosystem that obviously provides you something you like, and even use.

Free software is a community effort. As such, it needs _your_ help. You don't have to open source your code. You can elect free software friendly representatives, stop buying products of free software hostile companies or release your own software for a free software platform, etc. There are many options to help free software, which obviously incorporates things you like, thrive. Which do you take?
Sorry, SONOS, I will cancel my offer (6 Play1, 2 Play3, 1 Playbar, 1Sub). I agree with you - Linux is not widely used in most companies, Linux is not widely supported from most companies.
I'd really would like to see a native Linux controller too. For example with the introduction of the Steamboxes from Valve Software there will (hopefully) be a lot of Debian-based Steam OS'es out there, which will (hopefully) rise the Linux market-share %, which will (hopefully) urge Sonos to reconsider to build a native Linux app.

I do run 2 Linux PC's myself.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Even if it's not a native solution, I have try quickly to install the last Windows Beta Sonos Controller with Wine on my Linux (Ubuntu 12.04LTS). But unfortunately the execution is frozen when the splatchscreen is displayed.
Dear Sonos Manager(s),
I joint these comments to request a Linux controller:
I am actually looking for a music player system and I was almost seduced by your amplifier+players because it seems (from my internet research) to be the only wireless system giving a sound of good quality. The only problem is that I would not be able to control it because I use Linux and you did not develop a controller for this system. Therefore, I joint these posts to let you know that Linux has now a large public of non-programming users who regret to be prevented to use your system. Hoping that you will finally decide to have it developed, I will wait a few more months...
Best regards

Anne M  (from France)
If not a Linux controller, at least humour us with a browser based solution?
Userlevel 1
Badge
Right, Sonos like Linux, they use Linux to develop their software, but they are not willing to give the Linux community a native controller. If you like linux and use linux, you should be aware that the whole OS and the Linux community are all about taking AND giving. Why don't you at least release the source code so that the community can develop open source controllers?
http://mblaettlerblog.wordpress.com/2014/04/22/sonos-controller-4-3-on-linux-ubuntu-14-04/
I can't take my sonos to my office, I can't listen to music while programming. I might be selling this thing because of the issue. Unboxing the Play:5 and realizing its not linux compatible was a big disappointment!!!
However, since Linux is not widely used in most homes it simply doesn’t make sense for us to develop and maintain a native application right now.  
Don't know about anyone else but this comment here worries me.  Clearly they haven't fully researched the demographic of their customers.  True, that Linux is not "widely used in most homes", neither is the sound system Sonos.  In fact I'd wager that Sonos is used in far less homes than it is used in work places.  

I am a developer and I work in a company where the predominant OS is Linux.  This is the 3rd company I've worked in which has had a Sonos sound system and every one of them has used Linux as the dominant OS.  I know about 6 or 7 other companies that also have a Sonos system and again the dominant OS is Linux and the biggest gripe we all have is that we don't have a native controller.

Sonos, you clearly do not understand your own demographic and are shooting way above your weight if you think that you'll get into the home market to make this argument mean anything.  It doesn't make sense to develop and maintain a native application because of a market that you have a minuscule representation in??

Do some further research into who your customers are and you will find that the percentile of Linux customers is a lot higher than you appreciate so putting some time into a Native controller is actually good business sense.
guys  in shop said  it was  compatible and now  found  it isnt what can i do, other  than going  back to windows?
Userlevel 1
Badge
now that i dont need the wifi-bridge anymore - i just need linux support...what makes it that expensive to develop that? i just need to beam the sound to the soundsystem - i guess i could do all the other settings on my mobile devices.
Userlevel 1
Badge
There are ways around it. Wine and the commercial wine version Crossover both can be used to run the sonos-controller. But that's not what I would call a native solution. Given that the Windows-share of the market - though still massive - is slowly but surely shrinking and linux flavours such as ElementaryOs are rapidly expanding their share of the desktop (according to ElementaryOs' download stats also the vast majority of downloaders come from the windows platform), I really do not understand Sonos' policy of neglecting the linux-segment. I also wonder how Sonos-developers, who according to a statement from a Sonos-official develop on linux,   listen to music? Have they written their own little in-house Linux-application? If so, why is that not being made available to the public?
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Sonos, Please reconsider your position on Linux. Tech savy people tend to be both the people who use Linux and likely to be the people to use a system like Sonos. Although Linux may not garner a huge market share of among all desktops, I believe it possible that Linux users might comprise a greater share of the Sonos market than you realize.
If ou use linux that mush!!   wouldn't  this be a nice give back?  a linux client? 
was planning to purchase a sonos system for my house, but if no linux support its no use! have to go for another solution!  I downt think you know how big the linux community is,  and how technical linux users are. If you build a linux client, sonos will be the main system for linux users at home!   Sorry!!
give back a linux client, Its all give and take! 
yes Please create a linux client
It probably won't make any difference, but I would like to add my support for this idea.
+1 to those who have suggested that Sonos "give back" to the Linux community which has enabled them to do so well, standing on the shoulders of giants.
Also, I would suggest that Sonos will never know how many of their valued customers run Linux, until they give us a native controller.
So come on Sonos, make it happen
One of the main reasons I chose to invest in Sonos over the competition was the ability to run the controller on my Linux boxes, I had planned on expanding my Sonos system again this year. I'll be waiting for a Linux controller solution.
buy another controller which is usability for linux now
Userlevel 2
I'm no expert but my understanding of Android is that it runs on top of a version of Linux.  So if seems like it should be fairly simple to adapt the Android version of Sonos  to Linux.  Perhaps Sonos might open source the Android version so the linux community can do it themselves?  I'm sick and tired of running it of my phone and draining the phone battery.  Come on Sonos do something for your linux users, sheeesh.
I am looking at home sound system, but not having web or PC control is a drawback for Sonos.
Most boxes in my home are Windows, but my music server (music stored on and connected to my current sound system for web music) is Linux.  

Not having Linux or web interface will slow me down as I wait to see which solution develops.  Someone will eventually come out with a system which will have the features I'm looking for before I buy.
This is really too bad, as I will not choose Sonos products for this very reason. I have nothing but Linux in my home. Open source the controller and let the community write and maintain it.