Answered

Sonos App doesn't find existing system.

Show first post

92 replies

I see this is going nowhere.  Part of the problem with any tech support.  Sorry for mixing up days from weeks. That I will own up too.  As for the reply that isn’t helpful at all.  I will wait and see what happens when the App is released in 2 weeks!  Again we shall see.  As I said everything else works on my network except the Sonos App.  Not a consistent connection when controlling my speaker. I always go to Spotify to find my One on the network with no problem and connect that way.  You need another job if you aren’t listening to the customer. Enough said.

It sounds like a flaky network to me. Or perhaps an overly complicated/segmented one, which the ‘average consumer’ wouldn’t have but an ‘IT professional’ might.

And, yes, the first Sonos products shipped in January 2005, not 1997 or before.

Have you got a Deco 4s Mesh?.

No. 

The fact is that Sonos has mixed results on WiFI meshes (in WiFi mode), for various reasons, and the standard advice if problems occur is to wire Sonos to the primary mesh node. 

As I said earlier in this discussion: Once you’ve decided that the problem must be [...] or cannot be [...], you are likely to be blindsided.

Play the percentages. There is no point chasing the 0.01% possibilities before ruling out the 90% probability.

Hi,

I was having the same issue with my wife’s iPhone (my phone works fine). Not sure why this setting on her phone changed - but what resolved the issue was going to setting>privacy>Local Network - and flipping the Sonos to “allow” or “on”. 

No issues logging on or with the app connecting after this (so far today). 

Seems Sonos is finally releasing an updated App in the next 7 days (2024). Better late than never.  Just another frustrated customer getting the run around from techs.  We shall see.  They need to find better talent for their engineers and Tech support.  Everything else in my home works fine except their App.  Constant disconnects and No Sonos found is very frustrating.

I've got a bunch of expensive paperweights too . Unreal!  

The Deco contains a router, unless switched to bridge mode. A router would divide the local network into two IP subnets. Sonos players and controllers need to be on the same subnet.

EITHER: Put the Deco into bridge (AP) mode

OR: Ensure the Boost is wired to the Deco primary node, and that the phone is always on the Deco WiFi. (As insurance, disable the main router’s WiFi.)

1st; Thank You for the quick reply.

2nd; Observation, the interest & amount of likes & replies, would suggest Sonos needs to deploy a more robust solution.

More robust solution? Sonos makes clear in the system requirements that all devices must be on the same subnet. The problem is that many people deploy a WiFi mesh router without knowing what it’s actually doing to their local network.

3rd; After all below gyrations, one iPhone11 can now control Sonos.  No other iPads, iPhones, Sonos desktop app.

What gyrations? Are you saying devices other than the iPhone 11 can’t access the Sonos system? In that case you’d better explain what you’ve done so far.

Once you’ve decided that the issue cannot be [...] or must be [...] it is likely that you will be blindsided. Play the percentages, For this sort of issue the high percentage case you should investigate first is the network.

I am using an Android phone and have been having issues connecting the Sonos App to my system. App cannot find the system and have tried numerous times to uninstall, re log into existing system etc. I can play music from my Spotify app (sometimes by holding the on/off button on the Playbar to initiate connection) but nothing else on the Sonos App itself. 

Tried to send diagnostics to Sonos and even that fails.

No changes to my router etc. 

Frustrating.

UPDATE:   Found the Issue………

I had VPN on my phone on.

Thanks Anyway.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Does it help to have fixed IP addresses for the SONOS speakers

Most definitely yes.

what is SONOSNET

As soon as you wire a Sonos component, it creates Sonosnet. It ignores your wifi and provides a far better wireless network. My advice: step over to Sonosnet.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I have similar problem , sometimes the app tells me that system is not found and to go through find my system steps , it then gets stuck on finding the system and never does work. 

when I remove the app couple of times from background then it starts to work , but its nor reliable solution at all...

After going around in circles following the Sonos instructions numerous times without success, I finally removed the app completely from my wife’s phone. I then downloaded and reinstalled the app. It asked some new questions (specifically about access to Bluetooth) and then connected like a charm. Definitely a software problem, not a network problem. 

There’s not enough data to give you any other than the same advice I’ve given in literally hundreds of other threads. Assign reserved IP addresses to your speakers, and refresh your network. And if that doesn’t work, submit a diagnostic and contact Sonos support. 

Cautiously optimistic but I just tried your solution and my Sonos app connected right away. Thanks! 🍻

THATS’IT, static adresses! 24 hours without any « unable to connect… » (for my system it’s a lot)! 🎉 Even the Roam can now be turned off and on at will without causing any problem. Thanks so much for the advice, I can start rebuilding my sanity.

Badge

I was able to fix the issue for my system, using iPhone 15 and Eero mesh WiFi.

In Sonos app > Settings > App Preferences > Manage iOS Settings > (takes you to iPhone settings) Allow Sonos app to access Local Network

This was toggled OFF initially. 

Well as an update 2 speakers have dropped off my system. As expected. Yay!

I'm going to sell these speakers and try and get some money back for them. 

There’s not enough data to give you any other than the same advice I’ve given in literally hundreds of other threads. Assign reserved IP addresses to your speakers, and refresh your network. And if that doesn’t work, submit a diagnostic and contact Sonos support. 

Cautiously optimistic but I just tried your solution and my Sonos app connected right away. Thanks! 🍻

Userlevel 2
Badge

I had switched from my Sonos Conner G2 to my Heos Link G1, and after a couple of weeks of working just fine, it now doesn’t show up on my WiFi’s network just like my Sonos. After searching my NETGEAR nighthawk AX80 router under the WiFi setting I noticed that it was set to the smart option—it automatically selects whichever network has the highest bandwidth not the strongest connection, which selected the 5 rather than the 2.4. So, I’ve changed the settings to where the 2.4 and 5 bands are separate. We will see if this solves the issues. 

SONOS does not work well using WiFi that is constantly changing channels.

I think that this is the best plan for you.

For some reason your network is not able to support SONOS. It’s clear from your screen capture above that your router is not sending data to any SONOS units shown except the ONE near the bottom and the indicated throughput is much lower than expected.

I’m so fed up with this system as well. I’m having the same problem as the original poster. The system works fine (some days) on my phone but can’t find the system at all on my wife’s phone. I have tried unplugging the beam from the tv, have unplugged and replugged the beam, turned off and on my wife’s phone- all to no avail. We are seriously considering taking the system back. For this kind of money, I would expect it to work better than a cheap Bluetooth speaker. 

On top of what found here - I had this issue (system visible from iPad but not from iPhone app) after switching to a new router. What resolved it is was to disable the router broadcast channel “auto” setting and select a fixed one. Hope this helps.

Hi,

I was having the same issue with my wife’s iPhone (my phone works fine). Not sure why this setting on her phone changed - but what resolved the issue was going to setting>privacy>Local Network - and flipping the Sonos to “allow” or “on”. 

No issues logging on or with the app connecting after this (so far today). 

this worked for me! thank you

I can't believe the amount of time I've spent trying to reset, unplug plug back in, re group rooms, reset router, install uninstall app, and everything else support has told me to do and still CANT listen to music when I want to. Nothing has been a permanent fix and for the amount of money I paid for all my speakers this is total BS. 
i even write a letter to them complaining and they emailed  me a reply telling me to do the same stuff I already did and listed in my letter. 
I'll be switching back to BOSE

Great sound terrible software,  I  quess Sonos has shot their wad. 

I'm having this problem too. I wish I had known this stuff before I bought a bunch of your speakers. Why hasnt this issue been fixed? 

Since upgrading to the latest version of the Sonos App (and some hardware), my iphone cannot find my system all of the time. Some times it does but most of the time it doesnt. The Sonos App on my laptop (Mac) finds the system all of the time. I have tried everything that has been suggested on this thread with no positive results.