Answered

Sonos App doesn't find existing system.

Show first post

75 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I'm on Deco S4's in "Router Mode".

Your best bet is to connect Sonos via the Deco WiFi (NOT wired SonosNet).

Once all Sonos Speakers are connected to the Deco SSID make sure your Phones, controllers ONLY connect to same SSID.

I think trying to wire in a Bridge to the Deco is just doomed to failure personally.

I didn't just want Access Point Mesh, I wanted the S4's to take over running our network.

Took a bit of faffing to get Sonos onto the Deco wifi network but once on it's been as stable as SonosNet ever was imho.

Overall I was very weary of introducing a Mesh system into our house but the Deco S4's have been brilliant.

I think trying to wire in a Bridge to the Deco is just doomed to failure personally.

Not a Bridge (obviously, since that’s S1 only), but why exactly is wiring to a LAN port on the primary node doomed to failure?

Such a shame that you waited 25+ years (sic) to join the forum, and then chose to try to resurrect the S1/S2 issue, and litter your post with misinformation. It's really not worth the effort - you might as well leave that to the trolls.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

It doesn't work satisfactorily (for me anyway) but others may have better luck.

Have you got a Deco 4s Mesh?.

I'm only speaking from personal experience.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Having same issue with my Sonos Connect. I am able to installed everything, and it connects to my network just fine. Then it randomly decides to “Unable to connect to Sonos. Lets fix it!” Today, I started playing music by using the app just fine, and about 15 minutes later I was attempting to change the station, and I got the “Unable to connect to Sonos. Lets Fix it!" message. 

I ended up disconnecting my Sonos connect and put a different media player back on my network, and it didn’t have any issues.

I hope Sonos figures out how to fix this soon.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @SonosIsGarbage2.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. 

Are you having the same issue with the original poster? We also need to know what type of Sonos system and network component that you’re currently using. The reason I ask is because my reply was solely addressed to the original poster based on his Sonos system and network. I would like to know what seems to be the issue? What Sonos devices do you have and what issue/ concern you have that I may help you with.

Please let me know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help out.

Thanks,

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Konstantin79.

Thanks for the update and immediate response.

I would like to ask and confirm, does everything work now on both Sonos controllers (mobile devices)? I would be morethan happy to send this to our engineering team to take a look into.

Please let me know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help out.

Thanks,

The Deco contains a router, unless switched to bridge mode. A router would divide the local network into two IP subnets. Sonos players and controllers need to be on the same subnet.

EITHER: Put the Deco into bridge (AP) mode

OR: Ensure the Boost is wired to the Deco primary node, and that the phone is always on the Deco WiFi. (As insurance, disable the main router’s WiFi.)

1st; Thank You for the quick reply.

2nd; Observation, the interest & amount of likes & replies, would suggest Sonos needs to deploy a more robust solution.

3rd; After all below gyrations, one iPhone11 can now control Sonos.  No other iPads, iPhones, Sonos desktop app. 

When you connect at least one device to your router with an Ethernet cable, they all are supposed to switch over to SonosNet, at least those that can. 

At that point, you can go in to the controller and enter the new SSID and password for your network, so that all the connected speakers will reconnect to your network now that you’ve changed everything. Once that’s done, removing the Ethernet cable will have everything switch back to your WiFi. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

My Sonos Connect G2 has been connected to for at least 24 hours since separating the 2.4 and 5.0 bands. I’ve got it connected to the 2.4 band. The only issue I have found with separating the bands are that I can’t control my IOT devices from my phone since my phone was connected to the 5.0 band, which doesn’t affect controlling my connect. So, I’ve switched my phone to the 2.4 band to prevent all these connectivity issues.

For most of us it is…..

I see that with all of your free time from not having to fuss with your speakers, you use on this forum replying to everyone lol 

Badge

Hi I’ve had 2 Sonos Onesfor a few days and am experiencing issues much as described in this thread which is disappointing as its a few years old. Also the same programmer seems responsible for the forum registration screen as after you enter all you info it then says that user name is in use, deletes it all so you can go through it all again. Anyway...

Few questions

1. I think my Sonos devices are connected to 2ghz wifi but my phone is on 5ghz. Is that a problem.
  2. Does it help to have fixed IP addresses for the SONOS speakers
  3. if i have an amazon echo (quite old) and a SONOS speaker in the same room and say ‘Alexa play radio 4’ which one will listen, or both , or can i change the wake word on the echo dot without changing it on the SONOS.
  4. what is SONOSNET
  5. is there a way of voice controlling which speakers are playing , if say, I just want the kitchen on can I say ‘ specific speake off’ or can I start on just one speaker with a voice command?
  6. Am I right that SONOS speaker with voice control can’t play BBC Radio 4.

If all this info is in a sticky thread , web page for newbies, or help document somewhere please point me in the right direction 

Thanks

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Lalin.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us.

I would suggest trying to go through these guides.

• Here is a guide on how to fix Rooms missing from the Sonos app.
  • Here is also another guide on how to connect Sonos to a new router.
  • Another guide I would like to suggest is cannot connect to Sonos prompt on the Sonos App.
  • I would also suggest connecting one Sonos device to the router to generate Sonos Wifi and then the rest of the Sonos devices should be wireless.
  • Connect the Sonos device first via ethernet cable to the router then plug it into power.
  • Once the Sonos device that you connected to the router has a solid white light, reboot the rest of the wirelessly connected Sonos device. (unplug them from power and plug them back after 10-15 secs)

Please let me know how it goes. Here in the community, we are always here to help.

Thanks,

What router do you have?

Badge

As soon as you wire a Sonos component, it creates Sonosnet. It ignores your wifi and provides a far better wireless network. My advice: step over to Sonosnet.

Sorry, by that you mean hard wire one of the speakers to the router via an ethernet cable? OK I’ll give that a go next time it all disappears. Which will probably be after i’ve fixed the IP addresses.😑

Have you called Sonos Support directly to discuss it?

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Since upgrading to the latest version of the Sonos App (and some hardware), my iphone cannot find my system all of the time. Some times it does but most of the time it doesnt. The Sonos App on my laptop (Mac) finds the system all of the time. I have tried everything that has been suggested on this thread with no positive results.

Same here. I have been using Sonos since 2011 and I have had setups much more complicated than the one I have now.

iPhone with S2 app

Beam gen. 1

Sub gen. 2

Ikea Synfonisk gen. 2 (2)

(setup as 5.1)

Roam

I have reinstalled everything from scratch multiple times and it works for a couple days then the problem everyone describes comes back to haunt me. I have noticed that turning on the Roam almost instantly breaks the system. Otherwise it seems to happen randomly.

Do something soon Sonos or I’m selling everything and I’m never coming back!

Regards. 

I suggest that you refrain from Factory Reset without further consult. Factory Reset rarely cures fundamental issues, but it might accidentally work around something for a short while.

On top of what found here - I had this issue (system visible from iPad but not from iPhone app) after switching to a new router. What resolved it is was to disable the router broadcast channel “auto” setting and select a fixed one. Hope this helps.

All my channels are fixed and always have been and I still have the issue. Do you confirm that this solution still works for your system?

I can assure you, the issue isn’t with the Sonos software. It is indeed an issue with the network you have. However, as you’ve expressed an unwillingness to accept solutions, I won’t offer any. 

If you have anything that could help others, please kindly share. I’m totally out of ideas. 🤯

If you’re able to, then you’re a better person than I. My sanity went away years and years ago.

Glad it helped! Networking is such a pain, and Sonos does a great job of exposing every possible issue :)

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’m going to run a Cat6 line to my garage and see if that fixes the issue. Otherwise, I will have to try to sell this unit or exchange for a WiiM mini streamer. I’ve been thinking of giving one of those a try. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @andrewmmccallum.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for bringing this to our attention. I know how confusing it can be that other mobile controller works with Sonos but not your wife’s mobile device. Let me help you out with that.

I would like to recommend the following steps.

1. Can we try to check (your wife’s iPhone and your Phone) if they are both connected to the same WiFi name. If they are not, please make sure they are connected to the same WIFi name. It may help if we move a little bit closer to a Sonos product while we turn off and turn on the Wifi connectivity on your wife’s iPhone.
  2. Close the mobile data connection on your Wife’s iPhone and restart the mobile device by turning it off and turning it back on. Let’s move a little closer to your Sonos device.
  3. Once your wife’s iPhone is turned back on and you are close to one of your Sonos product, turn on the WiFi connection of your wife’s iPhone (keep mobile data off) and connect to the same WiFi name your phone is connected to.
  4. Open the Sonos App and tap on connect to the existing system.

If the above recommendation does not work, I would like to ask if we can submit a diagnostic from your working Sonos App so we can check what is going on. I would also like to ask if we can provide some details about your network to be able to understand your network layout.

1. Router make and model.
  2. Modem make and model.
  3. Wifi booster or extender make and model.
  4. Mesh system make and model.
  5. Secondary or tertiary router make and model.
  6. Other devices wired to the router.
  7. Network switch or hub make and model.
  8. Other devices wirelessly connected to the router.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. Here in the community, everybody can help you out.

Thanks,

I have only 1 sonos unit at this installation, the beam 2.  Would the sonos net be 'talking' to my cell phone over that net or my wifi 2.4ghz?  Is sonosnet necessary for a simple 1 device 'system'?

SonosNet is an option, you could easily just connect your single speaker to the wifi if you so chose.

SonosNet would have the Beam connecting through your router to talk to your phone. Some routers seem to have difficulties switching between data on 2.4Ghz versus 5Ghz connections, so that might be something to check.

Technically, with one speaker and no BRIDGE/BOOST, you’re not actually using SonosNet at all, you’re just directly wired to the router.