Is your music cutting out? Or are your players disappearing from the app?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

385 replies

Clearly, the number and frequency of issues stemming from using iPhones with SONOS speakers after upgrading to v9.0 of the controller suggest that the issue is a coding one. Curious as to when SONOS will step up and if not admit that there's a problem, at least resolve it.
Two stereo-linked Play:1 speakers, great for about six months but now dropping out so regularly it’s impossible to enjoy much.
I tended to play music via my iPad Air, much skipping through tracks of albums, radio via Tunein drops.
Changed channels on the router to a less busy channel.
Have an Amazon dot about three feet from one of the speakers.
Diagnostic report submitted, #1138330419
Thinking of getting my stereo and CD's down from the loft...
Having a big problem with music skips. The only time this happens is music sourced from my phone. Pandora plays fine. I have an Iphone X for the controller and music. Sonos setup is a Boost with a play 3 in the same room not connected. I also have a playbar with a sub. There is one Play 1, another Play 3, and a Connect on another floor. The Boost and 3 are in the same room as the Modem/Router. The boost is a good three feet away from the router and the play 3 is about a foot. I have Xfinity with their mesh pods so wifi is strong throughout the house. Diagnostic is 1662108366

Thank you!
Set up reserved IP addresses for your devices? Submit a diagnostic and call Sonos to check on what they see in it that might help you?
I never had any problems with my Sonos system until the 9.0 update. Now it's all but unusable from my iOS devices. Constant music skipping, changing songs, cutting out. I've tried Boost mode with a connect, streaming through wireless, changing the wifi channel, even setting up a dedicated 2.4ghz network - in short all the stuff and more recommended to fix poor wireless performance. As a stopgap I'm using the MacOS app, but it's a lot less convenient. Any other ideas?
Badge
I would appreciate some extra information about what might be going on with my Sonos setup.
I have one Play 5 which is plugged into my main router.
I have a airport in bridge mode also connected to that router.
Another airport in the bathroom extending the range.
A play bar receiving toslink from the tv and connected wirelessly to sonosnet.
A play 5 close to the other play 5, connected wirelessly to sonosnet.
A play 3 in the bathroom, near the airport but not connected to it. Connected wirelessly to sonosnet.
A boost in the bedroom, connected wirelessly to sonosnet to extend the range.
Two play 1s in the bedroom in stereo.

Wifi has always been a curse in my apartment. It’s only small but there’s so much interference (a million other 2.4GHz networks nearby).

The biggest problem is playing TV input, it never comes to the bedroom speakers consistently. But often the system drops out and can’t even play music from Spotify.

I’ve tried so many different combinations of network setup, and they work better at first, only to deteriorate over time. Perhaps when the neighbours fire up their bittorrent and completely flood the airwaves!

I’m looking into yet another wifi solution to a) improve internet connectivity to the bedroom and b) finally resolve Sonos, but I’m skeptical anything will work.

Pre-troubleshooting:
- the hardwired play 5 is about a metre from the airport base station
- the boost is far away from anything electronic
- I have tried variations of my router being in bridge mode or the airport being in bridge mode
- I’ve tried all kinds of locations around the house for the airports and the boost
- I am familiar with changing the sonosnet channel, I do it every half hour on some nights (wish it was a big button on the now playing screen instead of buried in 3 lays of advanced settings!)

My diagnostic number is 1112571631. If there’s some really clear indication of what is causing these problems, that would help so much!

Thanks
Jarrod
701550390 Sonos cuts out
I am about to lose it with Sonos. I call and am on hold for over an hour. Oh, and of course no support on weekends or early hours, which are the best times for me to call as a business owner. It is difficult for me to troubleshoot middle of the day when people are inside my business!!!!

Just ran diagnostic 1352711067. We recently installed the Pandora for Business Mood Music Player, which is connected to our Sonos Connect. We also have two Play 3 speakers. When we installed the new Sonos Connect, the Sonos app forced us to do an update.

Issue 1: Only one Play Speaker is working. For the second Play 3 speaker, we tried to unplug it, restart, unplug, etc. We either receive a flashing white light or solid white light.

Issue 2: CONSTANT MUSIC SKIPPING. This happened in the past when we tried to line in another music source.

PLEASE HELP. This is driving my clients, and employees, NUTS.
Hi I'm having the issues described in the original post with a wired Sonos Connect. Diagnostic is 853323471
Device room name is Finn. Do you have any advice?
Or, perhaps take a few minutes to clean up your local wifi, and I think that would resolve 90% of the issues, if not more, that you're experiencing. I've had 17 (?) Sonos devices for quite a few years, and never had an issue, once I figured out how to assign them reserved IP addresses, and keep my local wifi signal separate from my neighbors. WIthout that, I could see lots of potentials for issues, which you seem to be experiencing all of.

You might want to try reaching out to Sonos with a diagnostic, they might be able to help you, if you provided them enough information for them to investigate with.
I really wish I'd seen these forums before I spend over £2000 on Sonos equipment + all the stands, brackets and man hours fixing it all up. Ofcourse when it works its wonderful, but the problem is it only works for seconds or minutes before it cuts out, constantly, it will play 3 seconds of a song, cut out, then start the next song. If I'd have known the performance was going to be this bad I'd have just wired everything together. It's rediculous - the number of people having drop out issues is huge. Every change support suggests makes no differece or makes things even worse. What conditions are these products made for? Even people that live in the country with no nieghbours wifi interfering are having problems. I despair and if the latest round of support doesnt fix it - I'll want to return the 8 devvices and demandl my money back!
Hi, looking for a little advice, I have a Sonos Bridge hardwired into my switch, My Sonos is on channel 1, the Netgear D7000 Router is on 11 and the AP is on 6. Living in a real area so there is not another wireless signal within reach, but is on channel 1 too.

The router is mounted on a stone wall in another room (office) opposite the Sonos Player (Kitchen), the Sonos Bridge is also in the office located within the server rack.

Now I'll admit being on ADSL isn't brilliant, however I never used to have an issue with dropouts. These last 2 months I've been finding the song selection skips tracks, can takes ages to load etc either within the Sonos App, or Spotify App. Couple of times my Sonos has been lost on the WiFi, so I've had to re-add it. I don't seem to be suffering any other local network issues.

Any ideas?

Can I summit Diagnostics? 749017765
Lee.
I've been having problems with sonos speakers cutting in and out. I both a connect and have tried lots of different settings but hasn't had much effect.
My diagnostic number is 810124033
No solution(s) found so far. Terrible connectivity issues -only with sonos equipment within professionally installed and maintained Wifi infra. Your confirmation number is: 326613106.
I’m playing songs from my iPhone music playlist. The songs keep skipping part way through. I tried resetting the Sonos and also my router but the problem persists. Diagnostic 443553560

Hi all,

If you’re experiencing any of the above, or your app is sluggish, then your Sonos set up may be suffering from “wireless interference”. In the video, you will see how to fix this annoying issue, and get back to listening to your favorite tunes, uninterrupted.

Feel free to let us know how to get along with the video. If you need any further assistance, we’re ready to help! :D

Please note that we also have a support article explaining how to change the wireless channel here: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1230

Still having problems? Grab a diagnostic and add it to your reply.

Sonos Controller App for iOS or Android
From the Sonos music menu, touch Settings > Advanced Settings menu > Submit Diagnostics.

Sonos Desktop Controller App for Mac or PC
Select Submit Diagnostics from the Help menu.

Badge
Have not had too many issues over the past two years with the system, but have subscribed to Deezer and cannot listen to an entire song without it dropping out (single speaker in stereo pair, a room, skipping whole song, etc). Submitted diagnostics 1760005857.
Unfortunately, my Sonos System (3 Play:1 and 2 Play:3) is still cutting out after following the instructions, would be great if you could check my diagnostics as well 🙂 Thanks! -> 1663847588
Thanks Ed. TP Link is my router and I had set it to a different channel. I have tried this again, but no difference.

Keith is having a look at latest diagnostic: 460403425. Via another thread. If you have any other ideas, I would be keen to hear them.

Cheers
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thanks Ed.

Tried what you have suggested. Should i re-enter my wifi password or leave it off wifi? My bridge is connected to Modem so only so far i can move it...

Still not working. Get the orange flashing light and no sound when pushing sync button on Playbase. After about 5 mins it goes solid orange, then to white flashing and then off.

Diagnostic 556837417.

Cheers.

Hi, Dyl. Please distance your BRIDGE from anything electronic or wireless enabled. In addition, go to Settings -> Advanced Settings -> Wireless Setup -> Next -> Do Not Enter the Password -> Tap RESET. Having done this, please test the system further and submit further diagnostics should the issue persist. Many thanks.

No problem at all, Dyl. The updated diagnostic does look a bit better, though there is still something generating interference. Luckily, there's some further information in this diagnostic that I did not have before. The issue might stem from the fact that your Sonos system is on the same channel as a network called "TP-LINK_5BE5". If you change your Sonosnet channel to 1, this should help matters.

To answer your question, no- we need not enter the password anymore.

Lastly, if you still find yourself struggling, you're welcome to get back to me here- though it may be beneficial to get in touch with one of our agents via telephone for some real-time troubleshooting. Thanks, Dyl!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Having the same problem. Have you maybe tried thinking that it has something to do with the (low quality?) parts that you use for Sonos? I had a Bose system in the exact same place, no problems. I use Sonos and it keeps cutting out (Spotify or radio).

My diagnostic is 2024785776
If no solution is found, I'm afraid I will send it back to the place of purchase and use the money to buy another Bose.

Hi there, Yarons. Thanks for posting your question. There is another access point in your vicinity that is occupying the exact same frequency as the one being used for your Sonos system. More the point, it is actually providing a more powerful signal than the access point in use for Sonos. Quality and price of part has little to do with the basic principles of WiFi technology- so this is largely inconsequential in this instance.

To use an analogy, think of these frequencies as lanes on a motorway. Whether you are driving a car worth 200 euros or 200,000 euros, a congested lane is still a congested lane. Perhaps this "lane" wasn't quite as busy when you were using Bose- I can only speculate. However, any speaker that works with the same technology, in the same way, used in these particular circumstances, would encounter precisely the same issue.

If these access points are all yours; "Proximus Smart Wi-Fi" (of which there are several)- you would need to move them all to a separate channel than the one being used for Sonos. You could have them on 1 and 6, with Sonos on 11. You would need a WiFi scanner to best determine precisely which ones to use. Let us know if you require any further clarification.
Thanks Ed.

Tried what you have suggested. Should i re-enter my wifi password or leave it off wifi? My bridge is connected to Modem so only so far i can move it...

Still not working. Get the orange flashing light and no sound when pushing sync button on Playbase. After about 5 mins it goes solid orange, then to white flashing and then off.

Diagnostic 556837417.

Cheers.

Hi, Dyl. Please distance your BRIDGE from anything electronic or wireless enabled. In addition, go to Settings -> Advanced Settings -> Wireless Setup -> Next -> Do Not Enter the Password -> Tap RESET. Having done this, please test the system further and submit further diagnostics should the issue persist. Many thanks.
Having the same problem. Have you maybe tried thinking that it has something to do with the (low quality?) parts that you use for Sonos? I had a Bose system in the exact same place, no problems. I use Sonos and it keeps cutting out (Spotify or radio).

My diagnostic is 2024785776
If no solution is found, I'm afraid I will send it back to the place of purchase and use the money to buy another Bose.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20