AirPlay cuts out on pause

Show first post

107 replies

Userlevel 1

Just out of sheer curiosity, as another user, who likes to use AirPlay with my Sonos devices every now and then,  I have been trying to reproduce this matter by AirPlaying an album from the Apple Music app on my old iPad Air running iOS v12.4.3 and from my iPhone XR running iOS v13.2.2 to my Sonos One (Hallway) speaker ...and I can repeatedly play/pause … wait a few moments and resume the music just fine, with no problems at all.

Anyhow, can I just very kindly ask how long people here are pausing their music for, so I can try a few more tests and report back.

So far I’ve only paused the music for 15s, 30s, & 60s  and that’s not been a problem on either of my mentioned controller/devices.

Happy to test this some more, if you can provide further details of the pause-length.

T.I.A.

Edit:

I tried it with Apple Music, and the problem is still the same as with Overcast, i.e. I pause, screen on iPhone turns off.  Come back a few minutes later, start the music (Apple Music) or Podcast (Overcast), and it takes too long to start to start playing. 

Issue is the same on my old iPhone 7 and with the new iPhone 11. Doesn’t matter whether it is an Apple native app like Apple Music or a 3rd party iOS app like Overcast. 

Turned off WiFi on the Beam in the Sonos app, and made it hardwired, and the issue is still there.

The issue is that after I pause, the music/podcast might pick up within a second, or it might go on playing on “silent”, i.e. the progress bar keeps moving but there is no audio, for as long as a minute, before audio kicks in again.  All that audio that was on silent is not buffered and played, but is simply lost. 

Frustrating!

I’m pretty sure there’s a timeout in the AirPlay 2 protocol, but I’ve not done the research that you have….yet.

I chose the Apple Music App by the way, as I currently understand that definitely uses AirPlay v2, I haven’t tried any Apps that may still be using the old AirPlay v1 that have still not been updated by their developers… just for your added info.

Just out of sheer curiosity, as another user, who likes to use AirPlay with my Sonos devices every now and then,  I have been trying to reproduce this matter by AirPlaying an album from the Apple Music app on my old iPad Air running iOS v12.4.3 and from my iPhone XR running iOS v13.2.2 to my Sonos One (Hallway) speaker ...and I can repeatedly play/pause … wait a few moments and resume the music just fine, with no problems at all.

Anyhow, can I just very kindly ask how long people here are pausing their music for, so I can try a few more tests and report back.

So far I’ve only paused the music for 15s, 30s, & 60s  and that’s not been a problem on either of my mentioned controller/devices.

Happy to test this some more, if you can provide further details of the pause-length.

T.I.A.

Userlevel 1

Same here.  Pausing for more than a few seconds cuts out the Airplay and it disconnects.  I use the overcast app for my podcasts and I do pause.  A lot.  Same for not finding Airplay when I walk into the room after a while.  I have to switch my iPhone to Airplane mode and back, to find the speakers again.  This is bad, Sonos, and needs an update, pronto.  Especially since the problem is quite replicable. 

Userlevel 1

I am having the same problem and it drives me crazy as I pause a lot. 

Userlevel 2
Tl;dr: Streaming video breaks the Airplay connection to my Sonos One. Please let me know if anyone has experienced this and has a fix.