Answered

New Sonos App - Utterly useless!

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

I’m sure it’s not just me, but it’s possibly the worst ‘update’ yet! Can’t find half of the things which were previously easy to access. It’s a big 👎from me!

icon

Best answer by JP007 10 May 2024, 09:24

View original

61 replies

Userlevel 3

My most used functions have disappeared.

Not a very constructive thread, no idea which features are being referred to here🤷‍♂️. Sonos cannot fix whatever it is you maybe referring too, without the detail.

Perhaps provide more information in more depth, post some screenshots/give examples and make some suggestions for improvement and state what you’d like to see in the new App.  Many folk complained about the last S2 App too and this new App is intended to reflect what Sonos users have asked for - so ask away and let Sonos know what you want to see.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

I’m sure it’s not just me, but it’s possibly the worst ‘update’ yet! Can’t find half of the things which were previously easy to access. It’s a big 👎from me!

We were bamboozled

Userlevel 1

Since the latest app version was installed my system has become completely unstable I.e.:

- Sonos devices fail to play what I ask them to

- Individual Sonos devices cut in and out intermittently

Really annoying seeming as I’m tied into the Sonos ecosystem 

Userlevel 2

This is a major failure by Sonos. I can no longer set alarms, edit playlists, set sleep mode, all features I used heavily. Looks like I won’t be expanding my Sonos system in the future if they are so eager to push out new updates with less features. I can no longer trust that features I use will continue to operate in the future.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Not a very constructive thread, no idea which features are being referred to here🤷‍♂️. Sonos cannot fix whatever it is you maybe referring too, without the detail.

Perhaps provide more information in more depth, post some screenshots/give examples and make some suggestions for improvement and state what you’d like to see in the new App.  Many folk complained about the last S2 App too and this new App is intended to reflect what Sonos users have asked for - so ask away and let Sonos know what you want to see.

They know what’s missing. This app is missing tons of features the previous version supported 

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

I’m assuming that you’ve not tried it yet? The other replies here give some clues.

It’s almost as if Sonos have stripped out all previous functionality whilst making it ‘look attractive’ hoping that no one will notice… 

Even the new web browser interface is useless.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

FYI as Sonos haven’t provided a way to downgrade back to the old S2 16.1 version and it’s seemingly not available from the support section, I’ve uninstalled the new and found a working version of the previous update here; you can download and install the APK suitable for Android from:- https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/sonos-inc/sonos-for-android/sonos-for-android-16-1-release/

Userlevel 2

Bugs include:

1. System crashes erratically 
  2. Grouped rooms cannot have individual rooms muted, you have to slide to zero, this is not workable as to get all rooms on same volume level is very fiddly, and slow. Worked fine in S2 version
  3. When in group mode, sometimes a room does not play, you then have to deselect that room and go back and select it, sometimes it starts working

I would like to downgrade to S2, please make this available on Appstore - it’s just not fair to put this “new version” out and leave us to work through bugs.

On the subject of the new version, Ken Griffiths, you say many people did not like version S2, perhaps the silent majority did. In my opinion this new version is a step backwards, it’s rather ugly & fussy interface, and seemingly has less features and comes with bugs. 

Again, please make S2 available on Appstore, urgently

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Android. Roll back steps to 16.1:-

I uninstalled the sonos app.

Went to apkmirror.com on my phone browser, and downloaded Sonos 16.1 (arm64 v8a). Then opened the download folder and ran the install. (You may have to select the permissions on your phone to allow you to do that). Following install I turned off wi-fi and mobile data, then went to play store and selected do not automatically update apps. Then turned wi-fi and mobile data back on, then ran the app and signed in.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

FYI as Sonos haven’t provided a way to downgrade back to the old S2 16.1 version and it’s seemingly not available from the support section, I’ve uninstalled the new and found a working version of the previous update here; you can download and install the APK suitable for Android from:- https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/sonos-inc/sonos-for-android/sonos-for-android-16-1-release/

This worked, I installed yesterday.. but this morning, the new version had installed itself.. again!! 😡

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

This worked, I installed yesterday.. but this morning, the new version had installed itself.. again!! 😡

I got round this by doing the following:-

Once I’d installed 16.1 I disabled wi fi and mobile data. I then went into play store and disabled automatic updates on the sonos app.

Go to manage apps and device > manage apps > sonos > the three dots at the top right > uncheck enable auto-update

Then turned wi fi and data back on

Totally unuseable

Userlevel 1

I’m new to the community as I never had any problems with SONOS before but the update to the APP is awful.  Its very slow but also my Playlists on Qobuz are not shown.  I know they are there because two of them show up on SONOS Favourites.   I spent ages on a webchat to SONOS support to no avail. They suggested I call the support number which said was a wait time of 120 minutes. Hence why I joined the community to see if I can find an answer but obviously I’m not alone.  I am using Android but the new WebApp behaves exactly the same.  

Badge

New to the community, using multiple ONE SLs, since the last update May 7th/8th my Samsung Smart Watch 5 Pro has lost access (via Media playback devices) to my SONOS speakers.
Spoke with support, being told that access through Samsung Smart Watch is not standard (actually they did not seem aware that it was possible) therefore they cannot advise whether this issue will be addressed. Android App.
Anybody had similar issues? Fixes, solutions, ideas ?  Thx.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Ken, this has been going on for years with users, for years, screenshotting and tech help convos- in all the system SHOULD be brilliant, but the app is *. So no, not a constructive thread; more like totally pissed off users who are let down by a a * app, when the the actual product is exceptional. That enough for your KEN?

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Userlevel 3
Badge

Any actual mods going to comment? Or do I just have to rubbish this all over social media? We pay a lot of money for quality speakers, to be absolutely and consistently let down by *, unresponsive, unusable apps. 

i work in an industry, where if it doesn’t work, after testing, you are gone.

WTF SONOS!!!!!

Userlevel 3
Badge

To all you good folk posting workarounds- should we need to be doing this? Sonos should sort their * out? Surely?

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

@Mark D , I share your pain. However I don’t think it is the mods fault for not responding. I suspect they are busy  with this absolute car crash of a release and have been given instructions by the higher ups of what they can and can’t say.
Whilst I’d love them to come out and say “we agree with you this release is a right stinker”. However, I suspect that might have a negative effect on their employment situation. 
it’s the senior management that are responsible for these shananigans.

Userlevel 3
Badge

@Mark D , I share your pain. However I don’t think it is the mods fault for not responding. I suspect they are busy  with this absolute car crash of a release and have been given instructions by the higher ups of what they can and can’t say.
Whilst I’d love them to come out and say “we agree with you this release is a right stinker”. However, I suspect that might have a negative effect on their employment situation. 
it’s the senior management that are responsible for these shananigans.

I agree, but that isn’t going to get anywhere near seniors; like all businesses, there is too much separation from reality.

Only by raising this as a totally toss app, as the previous iterations where, to the tech's, is all we can do? Or bin our expensive systems and look elsewhere.

Terrible update of the app.

Alarm function not working anymore…

Is it possible to return to S2?

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Terrible update of the app.

Alarm function not working anymore…

Is it possible to return to S2?

If you’re on Android, try my/Chris’ solution here: 

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

For those of you following this post, worth taking a look at Sonos’ Twitter account - quite remarkable how badly this whole thing is and looks like there’re some serious issues regarding this debacle. Quite why Sonos haven’t actually apologised but are just doubling down is of great concern for such a premium product and will no doubt affect their company’s standing in the market.

Link to main Tweet:-

Also on:-

https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/1co6iy2/the_new_sonos_app_feedback_megathread/

Userlevel 2

I can’t even play an folder of music. It only allows me to add a single song to the queue. If I try and add a second, it replaces the queue.

Total waste of time. Rolled back the app. If this is the future, then I’m looking elsewhere for speakers.