End of Software Support - Clarifications

End of Software Support - Clarifications
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Retired Sonos Staff
  • 12372 replies

We announced yesterday that some of our oldest Sonos products will be moving into a legacy mode in May of 2020. Our commitment is to support products with regular software updates for a minimum of five years after we stop selling them, and we have a track record of supporting products far longer. 

Here is some public information we’ve shared, gathered into one place to respond to some of your questions in one easy thread, so that people can find the correct information easily.

Beginning in May, software updates and new features from Sonos will only be delivered to systems with only modern products.

After May, systems that include legacy products will continue to work as before - but they will no longer receive software updates or new features. 

Sonos will work to maintain the existing experience and conduct bug fixes, but our efforts will ultimately be limited by the lack of memory and processing power of these legacy products.

We don’t expect any immediate impact to your experience, but access to services and overall functionality will eventually be disrupted, particularly as partners evolve their own services and features. 

Customers with both legacy and modern products have time to decide what option is best for them. You can continue to use your whole system in legacy mode - in this case, it will stop receiving updates and new features. 

You will also be able to separate your legacy products from your modern products, so that the modern products can still receive updates and new features, and legacy products can still be used separately. We’ll have more information on how to do this in May when you can take that action.

Another option available to all customers with legacy products is to take advantage of the Trade Up program, which allows you to upgrade older Sonos products to modern ones with a 30% discount. Trade Up will be open to customers at any time should they decide to upgrade. 

We recognize this is new for Sonos owners, just as it is for Sonos. We are committed to help you by making options available to you to support the best decision for your home.

If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate with asking.

Update 2/22: A message from our CEO

We heard you. We did not get this right from the start. My apologies for that and I wanted to personally assure you of the path forward:

First, rest assured that come May, when we end new software updates for our legacy products, they will continue to work as they do today. We are not bricking them, we are not forcing them into obsolescence, and we are not taking anything away. Many of you have invested heavily in your Sonos systems, and we intend to honor that investment for as long as possible. While legacy Sonos products won’t get new software features, we pledge to keep them updated with bug fixes and security patches for as long as possible. If we run into something core to the experience that can’t be addressed, we’ll work to offer an alternative solution and let you know about any changes you’ll see in your experience.

Secondly, we heard you on the issue of legacy products and modern products not being able to coexist in your home. We are working on a way to split your system so that modern products work together and get the latest features, while legacy products work together and remain in their current state. We’re finalizing details on this plan and will share more in the coming weeks.

While we have a lot of great products and features in the pipeline, we want our customers to upgrade to our latest and greatest products when they’re excited by what the new products offer, not because they feel forced to do so. That’s the intent of the trade up program we launched for our loyal customers.

Thank you for being a Sonos customer. Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I hope that you’ll forgive our misstep, and let us earn back your trust. Without you, Sonos wouldn’t exist and we’ll work harder than ever to earn your loyalty every single day.

If you have any further questions please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Patrick Spence
CEO, Sonos

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4256 replies

not great. The wording of that clarification, whilst on the face of it seems to try and backtrack...they haven't stated specifically that the units will work fully for as long as you want them. Imagine spending 2k on a HiFi system only to have to replace it in 5 years because the manufacturer deliberately built it of parts that were non replaceable and would only last 5 years. really angry about this.

I was in the proces of acquiring a Sonos SUB for my Playbar + 2 Play 1 “sorround sound”

Come may, i wont even be ABLE to buy that one and incorporate it into my setup, because i will be in legacy mode to keep my Play 5 in the loop, and a new SUB will probably have new firmware out of the box, that can not be downgraded to run in legacy mode.

So they not only angered a lot of current costumers, making them not want to upgrade, they also prevented anyone with a legacy system from buying any new sonos products in the future because the new units can not be enrolled in a legacy system.

How’s that, for a poor “Lets trip ourselves up big time” decision

This isn’t accurate as to my understanding. One thing Sonos has stated is that it will be possible to add a newly purchased modern device to a legacy network. But quite honestly, financially, if you’re in legacy only, purchase Sonos sub from the used market instead.

The only time this would not be possible (in your instance particular) is if you’ve split the network into 1 for legacy devices and 1 for modern devices, your surround system is on legacy and you’re trying to add the sub to the modern system. (Clear as mud?)
Short answer - if you only run a legacy network to keep everything grouped and happy as it is today (which is what I’ll do), it will possible to add a new device to that environment, regardless of the firmware it ships with initially.

If I’ve missed some communication (entirely possible) that directly contradicts this please point to it.  

Userlevel 3
Badge

not great. The wording of that clarification, whilst on the face of it seems to try and backtrack...they haven't stated specifically that the units will work fully for as long as you want them. Imagine spending 2k on a HiFi system only to have to replace it in 5 years because the manufacturer deliberately built it of parts that were non replaceable and would only last 5 years. really angry about this.

I was in the proces of acquiring a Sonos SUB for my Playbar + 2 Play 1 “sorround sound”

Come may, i wont even be ABLE to buy that one and incorporate it into my setup, because i will be in legacy mode to keep my Play 5 in the loop, and a new SUB will probably have new firmware out of the box, that can not be downgraded to run in legacy mode.

So they not only angered a lot of current costumers, making them not want to upgrade, they also prevented anyone with a legacy system from buying any new sonos products in the future because the new units can not be enrolled in a legacy system.

This isn’t accurate as to my understanding. One thing Sonos has stated is that it will be possible to add a newly purchased modern device to a legacy network. But quite honestly, financially, if you’re in legacy only, purchase Sonos sub from the used market instead.

The only time this would not be possible (in your instance particular) is if you’ve split the network into 1 for legacy devices and 1 for modern devices, your surround system is on legacy and you’re trying to add the sub to the modern system. (Clear as mud?)
Short answer - if you only run a legacy network to keep everything grouped and happy as it is today (which is what I’ll do), it will possible to add a new device to that environment, regardless of the firmware it ships with initially.

If I’ve missed some communication (entirely possible) that directly contradicts this please point to it.  

Have they said you can add a New modern item to a legacy system?  I had concluded from all the comms that you could not. If legacy and modern have to operate separately, as I think they are saying how would that work?

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Wow what an absolute drop of the ball. From the opening email, to Ryan's bumbling technical replies.........then the cherry on the top Paddys heart felt letter!!! This cleared everything up IMO, I suggest everyone reads it properly..

Patrick Spence, you are dense!

You've killed Sonos!

dirty bast@#d

Lets calm down and take a minute to loom at this from Mr. Spence's point of view. I am going to assume that the issue was shareholders screaming for more revenue, and the fact that many of us who adopted early and often were actually problematic. My house is full of sonos. Many old play 5s, an old connect, an old connect amp, two 5.1 setups, two 2nd gen play 5s with a sub, etc. Unfortunately for sonos it is literally full. The old stuff works and sounds great and every room I want to fill with sound is going great. I have told all my friends to buy sonos, they all like it, but I am essentially a dead customer to them as I have nothing left to buy.

Someone at sonos probably did some market research looking for brand loyal music lovers with some disposable income to tap into, and they found we were already here. So how do you get us to buy more stuff? They tried a 30% bricking/upgrade, which was absurd for a few reasons. First, a play 5 trade in of 150 (30%) made no sense when I could easily sell it used for 250 or 200 at worst. Further, they would brick it and have it thrown in a landfill... a perfectly good, functional speaker worth 250 prior to the bricking!

It is safe to assume this initiative failed. So step two... lets just stop supporting the old units, break whole home functionality in a mixed environment, and see our intensely loyal customer based buy all new speakers! After backlash here and all over the internet, which I would say is literally exceeding 99% negative without hyperbole, we get a fake apology letter saying they are continuing down this road. And we are all still livid, selling our kit, switching vendors, etc.

Mr Spence is now rightfully in fear of his job. Stock is going down. He has a few options.

1) stay the course, lose more customers, try to buy time convincing the board that the post may app will be the next iphone in terms of revenue.

2) quietly modify the course to keep us happy - keep whole home audio working. Make a bridge that will allow legacy speakers to work or write the functionality into a new speaker with all that RAM - all you need is one new speaker to make the legacy work with the new.

3) he can reverse course, look weak and/or clueless to investors, maybe try to blame it on someone beneath him, but this would probably be the fastest way to lose his job and see a new CEO appointed. The new CEO comes in and offers a real apology and a change in direction, wins us all back with some 50% off discounts and company gift cards, and provides an assurance that such foolishness doesn't happen again.

I am hoping he goes with option 2 and learns from this. I suspect he is going with option 1 and is at least Machiavellian enough to avoid option 3. But if none of us are buying,  new customers are scared off, and this stock hits single digits I think #3 will happen in a "mutual agreement".

Bookmark this post and check back in June.

This email (Update 2/22: A message from our CEO) changed my decision: my Sonos systems is no longer up for sale!

But on May 1st, if you don’t have a very efficient way to split my system so that all my Sonos speakers work together and you keep them updated with bug fixes and security patches, I’ll will get rid of them!

Based on the communication we’ve had so far I’m pretty sure the definition of splitting your system is that the legacy and the current will have absolutely no contact with each other.

The whole house audio facility will no longer exit. 

That’s if you personally choose to split the system.. you might want to keep it whole legacy for the foreseeable future. You wil still get the fixes and security updates, just no additional new features or newer hardware. If you prefer to standstill you will lose nothing and still have the whole home audio multiroom experience. 

Again, this is not my understanding. No new features, yes. No new hardware, no. Adding additional speakers and units, legacy/used or modern/new, to a legacy environment is reportedly still going to be possible. Any device added to a Sonosnet receives controller version information from the environment when you add it and is given that version during the setup process. A new device, as any other, will be given the firmware required to operate in the environment its being added to at the time of registration/setup. If anyone has direct info that contradicts this please link it. (seriously, if i’m wrong I want to know).

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

You are right, it's not like buying a mobile phone.  Three years ago I bought a Ssmsung Galaxy phone for around £650. I bought a Play:5 gen 2 for £499 around same time. The phone might last me another year, maybe 2. The Play:5 will be fully supported until 5 years after Sonos stop selling it. I would guess that will give me 10 years use, fully supported . Thank God that buying a Sonos is not like buying a phone. 

Do you re buy all the lightbulbs in your house even when they’re still working? How about your plumbing? What about your car? Car manufacturers like money too, you know! You should throw away your car (No reselling it remember! It has to go in the landfill) and buy another one of the same capability to help them out!

Phones are not a fair comparison to the Sonos system.  A mobile phone of 10 years ago does dramatically less than one of the present era, and what’s more, if you choose to stick with an old phone it doesn’t sabotage every other mobile device you own by preventing them updating. You can even call a new phone from an old one! Fancy that. 

This constant conflating of Sonos devices with phones/laptops/ throw-away consumer electronics is ONLY HELPING Sonos make it’s case to us, the press, the industry, and the board.  These were Marketed/Advertised/Promoted/Sold as Whole House Audio Systems at high-end retailers and online.  You paid a premium price for the quality of the build, sound, and distributed music/audio!  The name SONOS is a simple derivative of Sonic - SOUND!  Most of us purchased these systems with the EXPECTATION that they would continue to send music/radio (SOUND) throughout our homes.  We didn’t expect our investment in these to be prematurely junked because of a post-IPO money grab and some FALSE notion that you need to cram more power/memory to distribute music throughout your home/office/business.  

PLEASE stop with this conflated narrative - it only helps Sonos move your Premium HiFi/AUDIO products into the landfill. 

Let’s concentrate on real solutions that won’t split our whole home audio systems and doesn’t let Sonos split them because it suits their short-sighted quarterly ambitions.   There’s a way, they just need to be brave enough to take it. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I received my email from the CEO today.

Reading it was going so well with the first couple of paragraphs. I thought yeah great my old kit is still going to work, get bug fixes, not lose any functionality and then BANG he goes and confirms they are going to split old players and new players to operate as separate systems.

WTAF !

How on earth can he not know this is a huge mistake and what most people are pissed about.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Like others have said, I see this as a wake up call to having software based technology in hardware that otherwise would not become obsolete. Amps and speakers, like most other hifi products, are something we buy and expect to last for decades.

Whilst I’ve loved the ease of Sonos and being able to pair different rooms and rearrange what kit I want where, it reminds me why in my last house I ran speaker and phono cables all over the place so I could I could listen to any stereo in any room. Sonos made me (happily) lazy. 

Now I’ve had a few days to calm down after the initial announcement, my biggest annoyance is that this is the reality of all ‘smart’ / connected products that rely on cloud services. I’d be happy now to finish my Sonos journey with the devices I have, and still be able to control them from my PC/Phone/Tablet until the day the hardware dies. My main music source is my own NAS share, and could live without any online services. My future direction will back to traditional audio equipment and some nano pc’s.

Have they said you can add a New modern item to a legacy system?  I had concluded from all the comms that you could not. If legacy and modern have to operate separately, as I think they are saying how would that work?

Any device being added to a network updates its firmware to match the environment its entering at that time. There should be no change to that. If you're adding a new/modern device to a legacy environment, this should still hold true. (I suspect you’ll be a choice as to which you’d like to do at that time.) That’s my understanding
@Ryan S , this would be one time, amidst the fray of this thread, it’d be nice for a quick pop-in.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Any device being added to a network updates its firmware to match the environment its entering at that time. There should be no change to that. If you're adding a new/modern device to a legacy environment, this should still hold true. (I suspect you’ll be a choice as to which you’d like to do at that time.) That’s my understanding
@Ryan S , this would be one time, amidst the fray of this thread, it’d be nice for a quick pop-in.

But even if the firmware is the same, there has to be individual parts of the firmware to suit the different speakers and configuration.

So what will happen when Sonos releases a new product, will they update the old legacy firmware to support the new device, so that i can buy it and have it “downgrade” to “legacy” firmware ?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Yeah I don't think there is any chance you would be able to put new models launched after may into your legacy setup.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I really wish I had never invested in a Sonos system. I bought my first products soon after they were available so have had the system for around 13 years and have gradually added to it, having bought a Move only a few months ago. What a mistake. Logging on the website I see I have 21 legacy products and 7 modern ones which puts things into perspective. I feel a real fool and should have learnt my lesson when they made my Controller 100’s redundant, although this wasn’t so bad with the advent of smartphones and tablets which provided a substitute without having to spend money on replacements. All well and good but then they made these useless when the old iPad we used as a main controller tried to update the App and it wouldn’t run on the older version of IOS - no way to go back to an old version of the APP, so that was that … bin the iPad. Every other App installed on the iPad works fine - it just won’t update the App if the new version isn’t compatible. Not the case with Sonos … the old working version is gone so not only are they building redundancy into products they produce themselves but also stopping you using older iPads and phones as well. I complained about this but they weren’t interested! OK for a moment lets forget about the Controllers and the Bridges (since replaced by Boosts) but I have 12 ZP100’s and one ZP80. To upgrade just these would cost £5,450 even with the 30% discount … totally ridiculous!

And that’s not to mention the issues regarding the useless software with the track limit for the Music Library, which doesn’t tell you it has an issue but just seems to index music randomly missing things as it sees fit and coming up with continual error messages. OK it’s a hardware issue in part but whey when they have known about the problem for many years, they haven’t addressed the issue in software I cannot grasp!

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

These speakers should never be classified as disposable.

They should remain fully operational until they for example blow a speaker or a component malfunctions.

I have a play 5 ( 2nd generation) & a play 3.

So only interested in playing them one at a time ( separate rooms)

It’s an absolute insult to suggest on any level that these speakers are disposable.

Disposable suggests spending 50  - £100 max.

Speakers should last until they fail & not forced to fail by the manufacturer.

I would suggest Sonos sort this situation now,  or fail, if they haven’t done already.

Back of the net springs to mind.

Userlevel 1

Here in the UK we once  had a high street jewellery shop chain known as ‘Ratners’.

Just like you guys at Sonos they did very well and were very popular with their customers.,until in April 1991 the owner of Ratners (Mr Gerald Ratner), in a foolish and arrogant way, took his customers for fools, and proudly explained that some of Ratner’s products were “total crap” (that is a quote).

This Legacy statement really amounts to much the same thing.

So Sonos are now ‘doing a Ratner’.

Nobody is going to be purchasing Sonos products from this day forth……...That’s a sure bet.

Userlevel 3

It is mind boggling really. Such a great product and ecosystem but all that trust evaporated in a few days...

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

A massive price jump but I’m getting more and more impressed the more I read and watch about the bowers and Wilkins formation stuff coupled with Roon or even just through Bluetooth I’d hope they’d be more future proof 

Userlevel 4
Badge

I wouldn’t worry about new products, once people realise that any Sonos product will only have the “linked together”  feature for a few years they’ll invest in a different company.

A household speaker system receives a radio signal then transmits it via sound waves, I’ve got an old radio with valves in it and it still works, (though not DAB of course) so unless the wifi system is about to change then the Sonos speakers should be able to do so for decades, well unless you bought a cheap one!

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

For anyone who hasn’t come across this there is a relevant petition on change.org here : https://www.change.org/p/sonos-we-want-sonos-to-reverse-their-decision-to-stop-supporting-their-expensive-speakers

It probably won’t achieve anything but it also won’t take you very long to sign it so it can’t hurt...

Done

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yeah I don't think there is any chance you would be able to put new models launched after may into your legacy setup.

Yeah and i doubt that you will even be allowed to incorporate other legacy devices into your legacy setup either.

Maybe, being a legacy only user, i would get a good deal on, say a play 5 1.gen, at a really low price second hand because the owner was changing to another brand, would i even be able to connect the “new” legacy device to my system.

And what about someone that has no speakers...if that person buys a used play 5, will he/she be able to use it at all...Can they register this speaker to a new account.

I mean, if sonos dont care about the current users and try to force them to upgrade, would it not be logical that they would also try to ruin the second hand market, to avoid people selling legacy devices.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Yeah and i doubt that you will even be allowed to incorporate other legacy devices into your legacy setup either.

Maybe, being a legacy only user, i would get a good deal on, say a play 5 1.gen, at a really low price second hand because the owner was changing to another brand, would i even be able to connect the “new” legacy device to my system.

And what about someone that has no speakers...if that person buys a used play 5, will he/she be able to use it at all...Can they register this speaker to a new account.

I mean, if sonos dont care about the current users and try to force them to upgrade, would it not be logical that they would also try to ruin the second hand market, to avoid people selling legacy devices.

I’d like to think they wouldn’t stoop that low, but with the recent announcements, and Patricks ‘Sorry’ announcement, I no longer have any trust in what they might do (even if unethical to you and me).

For example, they are currently running advertising saying ‘add to your system at any time’, and ‘Build a system’.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

If you bring modern devices along with legacy devices into a legacy build it’ll still be possible to add all Sonos products currently available for sale to a legacy system. They’ll all update to the correct legacy build.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

If you bring modern devices along with legacy devices into a legacy build you’ll it will still be possible to add all Sonos products currently available for sale to a legacy system. They’ll all update to the correct legacy build.

How is the mood around the office, ryan?

If you bring modern devices along with legacy devices into a legacy build you’ll it will still be possible to add all Sonos products currently available for sale to a legacy system. They’ll all update to the correct legacy build.

This is as I thought. Thanks, Ryan.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

That’s really good to hear Ryan, thank you for confirming that info.

Would you need to keep software updates turned on or off, to maintain in that state?

But even if the firmware is the same, there has to be individual parts of the firmware to suit the different speakers and configuration.

So what will happen when Sonos releases a new product, will they update the old legacy firmware to support the new device, so that i can buy it and have it “downgrade” to “legacy” firmware ?

Ryan cleared this up above.

More, to my understanding, all the changes are allegedly/reportedly API based and eventual, not current. There is no mention of fundamentally changing the the way Sonos devices communicate and interoperate with one another within the hardware/firmware from a base level, so if a modern device needs to communicate with legacy devices (as is now the case) and doesn’t need to be current to take advantage of the API changes, there’s no reason modern devices can’t communicate with old ones. They simply get the correct legacy firmware to do so when joined to a legacy network.

This is strictly from a “how it is and how they claim it will be” … ignoring “how we may wish it were” (and believe me, I’ve plenty of wishes). I just wanted to make sure people here weren’t getting swept up in false negative assumptions… there is enough negative reality without adding those. (And to be fair, there’s so much ambiguity at this point that these assumptions are pretty much inevitable. Just sayin.)

Userlevel 1

Just a few days ago my partner asked if we should get another Sonos speaker after he saw an ad online. I told him there is no way we are going to sink any more money into this company and told him what was going on. I was already angry when the ‘play from your device’ was removed and thought it would be best to stop all of the Sonos purchasing but this really takes the cake. When is the next round of ‘legacy’ equipment going to be named? I wonder how many more of my speakers will become obsolete. 

Hope your new customers are worth it.