Answered

wont skip track

Userlevel 1
I have 2 sonos ones and a beam, when I ask to skip track with alexa on spotify, she just says I cant skip to the next song. Very frustrating.
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 19 May 2020, 01:25

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

106 replies

Just found this thread after googling this problem. I am having the same issue here. Was very excited to finally connect Alexa (via echo dot) to my Sonos amp. I quickly became very disappointed when I realized Alexa cannot skip tracks if started by voice. Hopefully if enough of us complain about this issue, Sonos will fix it!

I purchased 5 of these Amps. This is completely unacceptable for systems that are so expensive. How can they advertise this as such a premium product but neglect a problem like this?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Just found this thread after googling this problem. I am having the same issue here. Was very excited to finally connect Alexa (via echo dot) to my Sonos amp. I quickly became very disappointed when I realized Alexa cannot skip tracks if started by voice. Hopefully if enough of us complain about this issue, Sonos will fix it!

I purchased 5 of these Amps. This is completely unacceptable for systems that are so expensive. How can they advertise this as such a premium product but neglect a problem like this?

The problem is customers have been complaining for over 6 months but Sonos don’t seem to be bothered. I called yesterday and they said they are aware of the problem but why have they not resolved this problem??? Maybe we need to goto trading standards to take this up. I’ve looked into the amazon Alexa app Sonos skill and the number of negative reviews are over 1500 maybe more. I wanted to add my own review but I was not allowed to. This stuff isn’t cheap so as customers we pay for the ease of use and the reliability. Sonos get your act together and make your customers happy. If Amazon Dots work it has to be a Sonos issue. Awaiting a reply for Sonos for us all. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Also having this issue.. extremely frustrating.

Very rarely it will work randomly but 9 times out of 10 no.

Have searched continuously and found no solution thus far

i have this problem on my Sonos One and 2 Play 3s, speaking both to the One and my echo dot.

Has your Sonos system been sorted?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Also having this issue.. extremely frustrating.

Very rarely it will work randomly but 9 times out of 10 no.

Have searched continuously and found no solution thus far

i have this problem on my Sonos One and 2 Play 3s, speaking both to the One and my echo dot.

When did this start? Call Sonos on Monday +44-800-026-1526. We need more customers to raise this with them so they get it fixed I’m really annoyed as I use this facility so much well I used to. Maybe if we can link our amazon dots to our Sonos speakers it may work but that’s not the point. Let me know how you get on with the call to Sonos.

Had this issue for ages. Won’t skip or o my plays one song at a time. Have 3 Sonos speakers. Can see this has been a known issue for 6 months and still not sorted. Bloody disgrace Sony!!! 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Had this issue for ages. Won’t skip or o my plays one song at a time. Have 3 Sonos speakers. Can see this has been a known issue for 6 months and still not sorted. Bloody disgrace Sony!!! 

Have you called Sonos? Everyone needs to complain I really upset with this now. Sonos is not cheap so it must be fixed. So happy with Sonos until Friday then not happy. I do not believe Sonos have this as a priority to repair as you have had this problem for 6 months. Come on Sonos give us the premium service that we have paid for 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Yeah it's not working. 

New to the page. Bought a Sonos beam start of week. 

Tell Alexa to shuffle songs by an artist and plays but only ever plays first song. And won't skip to next song. Will be sending it back end of week. Didn't pay this amount of money for a piece of s***

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

New to the page. Bought a Sonos beam start of week. 

Tell Alexa to shuffle songs by an artist and plays but only ever plays first song. And won't skip to next song. Will be sending it back end of week. Didn't pay this amount of money for a piece of s***

First call Sonos get a case reference and get them to run a diagnostic check. It’s a Sonos problem they need to fix. I totally understand when you pay for a superior brand you expect it to work. I hear it’s a server problem between Sonos and Alexa you would think 6 months after the first complaint on this forum Sonos would look into it or maybe they don’t care  

This is most certainly not a widespread problem, and is likely due to individual configurations rather than something Sonos must “fix”.  How do I know this? Well the one time there was a widespread problem (dropouts on the Playbar), the main thread hit 1000 posts in a few days, and that’s not including the dozens of peripheral threads on the same subject.  This thread has 34 replies in 6 months, mostly by the same few posters.  

So submit a diagnostic, and get ahold of Sonos support.  They can figure it out.  

I assume it is a partial server overload at Amazon Web Services due to the current COVID-19 home quarantine situation.

Just to let you know u raised it with Sonos. And they came back to me straight away saying I didn't have amazon music activated in the sonos app.

Tried this no joy. 

Tried starting music in the sonos app then asking Alexa to skip song and it works. 

Let them know and they asked if it happens on certain music. 

Said no it happens on all.

I now get Alexa sometimes talking through the soundbar and sometimes talking through the echo. She now refuses to play music on the soundbar as something is already playing because of activating amazon music in the sonos app. 

Give up. Sending it back. 

Good luck to the rest of you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Just to let you know u raised it with Sonos. And they came back to me straight away saying I didn't have amazon music activated in the sonos app.

Tried this no joy. 

Tried starting music in the sonos app then asking Alexa to skip song and it works. 

Let them know and they asked if it happens on certain music. 

Said no it happens on all.

I now get Alexa sometimes talking through the soundbar and sometimes talking through the echo. She now refuses to play music on the soundbar as something is already playing because of activating amazon music in the sonos app. 

Give up. Sending it back. 

Good luck to the rest of you.

Are you really saying that a temporary issue to move to the next track via a voice command is a deal breaker for a piece of Sonos audio equipment?  I love voice control but my Sonos devices were primarily purchased for the quality of multi-room sound!  But everyone to their own! 

Not entirely no but u buy something bases on what it can do. If it can't do it. It goes back. Why settle for something that doesn't work. 

Joining the thread with the same problems. It’s been a nuisance for over a month.  Haven’t posted because I assumed it was something with my setup.  Restarted, rebooted, reinstalled, etc - started over like new, still didn’t fix it.  I’ve been a loyal Sonos customer for years and have numerous devices throughout the house.  Alexa worked fine on my Sonos One’s for over a year before this issue (using Amazon Music, won’t skip to next song).

Sonos should post a fix.

Calling support should be a last resort.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Here for the same reason: Alexa cannot skip a track on Apple Music radio or playlists.

Googled my error, ended up on this thread, I’m in the same boat. Playing music through my Sonos speakers starting from Alexa. Ask Alexa to skip this track or play next track and she replies “I can’t skip to the next track”.

Adding my voice to the issues with voice control from between Alexa and Sonos.

Userlevel 2
Badge

There's a few threads of this. Many many people with same issue. 

Yes, same issue here now, used to be able to unplug the sonos one and then plug in again and it would then work for a day or two, but now permanently wont skip, as with others if started through the sonos app then it’s all good.

I've been a Sonos user since 2013. Own three Play 3's, a brand new Sonos One, Amp, Connect and had a Port before returning it.  
I love(d) Sonos but it seems as though they are going down hill fast.  So I've started having this Alexa unable to skip problem for a week.  Was hoping the community would have an answer... but Sonos is asleep at the wheel it would appear.

Analysis seems that Sonos has lost it's vision.  The CEO now seeks to make higher margins on the product by simplifying the hardware, no longer supporting older products; which I was excited by the new Port to replace my Connect when I bought it, but if you put the Port next to the Connect and ask someone which is the newer product just by the look and sound output on my premium surround system.  The Connect would stand as the better product.  They are off in a patent lawsuit with Google too.  Here's a hint, focus on quality sound.

And they don't bother giving their support community the script their tech's would go through to troubleshoot and resolve a track skip issue with Alexa... c'mon.  Customer Service 101 says give customers what they desire and what we desire is answers within < 48 hours let alone > 6 months; even if the issue is not widespread make a post with answers here.

If Sonos goes bankrupt because their loyal customers don't buy products then the system dies.  All the loyal customers end up with product that's worthless.

Anyway I'm off to file a support ticket after trying a bunch 'o random things.  Yuck.

So if I use the Apple Music app from start I’m ok

if I start in Sonos app I’m ok

However, if I start by asking Alexa to play music, it will not skip track by voice command saying “I can’t skip track” or something of that nature. 
If I then go into either Sonos or apple app I can’t manually skip track either.

so basically the Alexa is pointless for STARTING music. Music must be started in app if you want ability to skip. This is ridiculous. The whole idea is that you don’t need your phone????

I have the exact same issue. Any resolution yet???

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

so basically the Alexa is pointless for STARTING music. Music must be started in app if you want ability to skip. This is ridiculous. The whole idea is that you don’t need your phone????”

Agreed. Why put ‘works with Alexa’ on the box and in the speaker if it really just does not work with AlexaThis seems to be false advertising at best. Just wanting to jump on the smart speaker bandwagon and then for customers who really like the idea of voice control...we’re all simply out of luck. ‘Now works with Alexa to start music sometimes and nothing else’ might be a better line for the packaging?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi, i have the same problem. Have tried to delete any amazon app, erase any login, delete the sonos app, revoke the authorization to skill sonos on alexa, turn off the iphone and restore all, but the answer is always the same "sorry i can't play next song". 

If I start the music with Alexa after the first song it stops, but if I use the sonos app or airplay I have no problems.
I only have problems with Alexa / sonos

I tried everything, I assure you.

Strangely, however, the queue of the songs is seen on the Sonos app, while on the Alexa app it is not and does not play them.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Yep. Basically the Sonos and Alexa integration allows you to start music and that is it. Can’t resume properly (“sorry...there’s nothing to resume”) can’t skip (“sorry I can’t play next track”)

I am at a loss as to how Alexa and Google Home are the future’ and selling so many units because the most useful thing for me would be if you could just consistently play, pause, resume and skip and SHUFFLE.

Don’t get me started on Shuffle! No IFTTT or Yonomi or Orto or Alexa integration allows me to shuffle a playlist with voice or automation. Not a single option to say Alexa shuffle playlist or to have a third party shuffle a favourite playlist via Sonos?

I’m super keen to hear what people even bother buying Alexa enabled Sonos products for or why anyone is signing up for Google Home devices when the most basic stuff like this is beyond most people.

If you’d been in my house this week and seen me shouting at Alexa and my Sonos speakers it would have made a tragic comedy. No one would ever sign up for smart speaker technology if they’d see. My frustration this week - and I’m tech savvy. My wife is over it. She wants a CD player and tape deck back and plain old fashioned light switches! (To be fair my Lifx lights and Alexa are heaps better than my Sonos and Alexa experience so far!) 

And how’s our community support going? Got any staff here answering the issue? Any Sonos or Alexa programmers know what is up? Crickets chirping. 

I assume it is a partial server overload at Amazon Web Services due to the current COVID-19 home quarantine situation.

This can’t be a serious comment ? The thread has been here for for more than six months. Moreover, I have a few amazon Alexa devices and skipping on Apple Music works perfectly fine on them. This seems like an Amazon to Sonos to music service integration to me affecting a fair proportion of people. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi everyone,

We'd like to take a look at some data from your systems. Please reproduce the issue, then submit a diagnostic report and reply here with the confirmation numbers, thanks.

Hi Jeff, 

i have sent diagnostics with code: 356520088

current time (In Italy): 09:25 PM 17/04/2020

i have follow this step:

“alexa, play a playlist XY on apple music” → ok alexa understand the command

“ok, i play the playlist XY” → ok alexa start the playlist

start first song

“alexa, skip this song” → ok alexa understan the command

“Sorry, i can’t do it right now” → 😔 (this in loop)

WTF!