Napster with Alexa

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

119 replies

I, too, am not a Spotify lemming and would like Napster supported.
Userlevel 1
Napster please
People still use Napster?
Er Yes!
For those that want napster support through Alexa controls, it's probably a good idea to talk with Amazon about it as well.
+1 Napster
Using Napster for many years with Sonos, need Napster Support for Alexa too!
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
I have alexa working with both napster and my own library on my pc. Its using a third party skill sometimes mentioned in here but it works flawlessly. I have also emailed napster and they are working on making their skill available to places other than mexico. £5 a month for multiple streams and a huge library. No thanks spotify.
Badge
+1 for napster
add me too
+2 for Napster
Ditto on the Napster. This is frustrating.
Napster is still a popular app for Sonos customers. Hopefully someone will take notice!!
Yes please to Napster, it's the only streaming service I use and was a little disappointed to see it not supported. Hope it will be on an update soon...
Anxious for full integration between Napster and SONOS. Long time user of both

Proof:

Really need this to work with Napster.
Will Alexa be able to work with Napster

When I first bought a Sonos device 5 years ago I got 6 months free subscription to Napster and have kept on using it so am
disappointed that Sonos has worked to allow Spotify to integrate so easily but not Napster. Ok I can access my Napster music via the Sonos app but it is a clumsy way to do so. Will it ever be possible to play through Sonos using the Napster app and/or via Alexa? I want to make my life easier!!
A long term user of both Napster and Sonos. Would really appreciate some support
A long term user of both Napster and Sonos. Would really appreciate some support
I wrote to napster a couple of weeks ago by using the "Give us feedback" function in the app, and they told me that they are not planning to offer a skill for napster. Since I would like to use napster with alexa on my Sonos speakers too, I would suggest that everybody who is posting here should better write to napster instead. Maybe we only have to bug them enough to be heard.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
But it was Sonos' decision to throw away all the work to support any and all music services, a feature that remains unique to their hardware, and hand total control over which services would be supported to Amazon. Amazon also control the speech grammar entirely too (which is why we don't have group volume, or groups generally).

Yes, that was the decision so they would not have to force users to run a local server, say clunky commands, and suffer the non-intelligent responses inherent to a "tell Sonos to do xxx" type of skill. Instead they made a less amateur, more integrated interface utilzing Amazon's API. Perhaps you'd like to compare sales figures to see what approach is more popular?

Sonos has always had the ability to play music from multiple sources including locally stored music. That was one of the biggest selling points. Multiple sources, different rooms, one source perfectly synced in multiple rooms. The possibilities were endless and Sonos seemed to lead from the front.

Nobody forced us to run a local server but if we wanted to listen to our locally stored music we accepted it and got on with it. I'm one of the users who was given a free 6 month napster trial which has worked flawlessly, for many years, with sonos, and is cheaper than the other streaming services so I'm certainly not going to sign up to Amazon (who appear to want to control the world). Sonos, rather than making us run a server want us to pay a third party? Sorry, but I decide who gets my money. As for the clunky commands, the app is now clunky and Alexa's skills are massively restricted which makes it quite useless, so this seems like a massive step backwards for me.

There are sales on right now, Sonos Plays are on offer with a massive discount, I am so disappointed with the Sonos One that I certainly wont be buying any more speakers until Sonos return to what they are good at, provide a way to play various music streams from various places to various speakers. Add in the dubious marketing ploy of controlling your music through voice only when it works for all or drop Alexa and develop their own AI.

Rather than compare sales figures, maybe compare the amount of customers who feel cheated by the all singing, all dancing Sonos One with Alexa against those who bought a Sonos Play 1 and found it worked right out of the box.
Yes, Napster for me! Tried various streaming services, including Spotify which I didn’t find very user friendly, so I returned to Napster a few years ago. Napster!
I agree that it would be marvelous to support Napster which is my primary and longest held music source.
Hey everybody, I emailed Napster asking about support for Alexa (not just with Sonos but the Echo as well). They said they are working with Amazon on Alexa integration but couldn't provide a date when it would be available.

Napster does make players for iOS/Android/browser available to third-party software developers (like myself), but they don't provide documentation for direct access to the audio stream data on their servers. Direct connection to the audio stream is necessary for developing an Alexa skill to play audio content. This is why no third-party developer has been able to connect Napster to Alexa. We'll just have to wait for the team at Napster to make this available.

Sonos has integration with each but they don't have the capability to make the two play nice with each other. If you are a paying Napster subscriber, your best bet is to contact Napster directly and voice your desire for Alexa control. I'm sure Napster understands the risk of losing customers to Pandora & Spotify because of Alexa and are making that effort a priority.
Napster was promoted by Sonos when many of us bought our first component. I'd be keen if Sonos, took some positive visible action in getting napster integrated with voice commands. Getting them to play nice is not something the users can influence other than pester power. The two great systems working together seamlessly with voice activation would be awesome... We all want awesome don't we?
one more meaningless vote from me for Alexa and Napster to work together. Why have Spotify (launched in 2011) integration prior to Napster (launched in 2001...Rhapsody/Real). No respect.