Answered

I think I've made an expensive mistake.

• 13 December 2017
  • 93 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

93 replies

AjTrek1, I want to tell you I appreciate the effort made by you on these forums.

That said, you are wrong.

I disagree for a number of reasons. The first being that Sonos has undertaken a project to build these speakers, but has also ignored the fact that 99.9% of users do not have the knowledge to adjust their router settings. I'm an old tech guy and I cringe every time I'm told I have to do it.

Just because you're a whiz with adjusting your settings doesn't mean everyone else is.

You (or someone - I can't keep track) said to dump UPnP. Take a look at this list that is one a Sonos web page. While we are being told that we should remove UPnP in these threads Sonos is telling us we need it. Someone needs to make up their mind exactly what it is users need to do. Those that have the ability to slog their way through routers settings, that is.

Below are the ports that Sonos uses:

TCP/IP:
80 (Internet Radio, updates and registration)
443 (Rhapsody, Napster, and SiriusXM)
445 (CIFS)
3400 (incoming UPnP events - Sonos Controller App for Mac or PC)
3401 (Sonos Controller App for iOS)
3445 (OS X File Sharing)
3500 (Sonos Controller App for Android)
4070 (Spotify incoming events)
4444 (Sonos update process)

UDP:
136-139 (NetBIOS)
1900 (UPnP events and device detection)
1901 (UPnP responses)

2869, 10243, 10280-10284 (Windows Media Player NSS)
5353 (Spotify Control)
6969 (Initial configuration)

Sonos cannot possibly in a million years anticipate the multiplicity of network setups that consumers will have in their homes.

Remember, you can always call Sonos if you don’t mind the wait.

These two statements clearly reflect the real problem if true. You tell me that Sonos can't possibly know what to do with network setups, then you tell me to call them. If they can't fix my network problems (assuming that is the problem) then why should i wait an unreasonable amount of time on hold just to be told they can't help.

Until there is a clear explanation of the basics of router configuration with regards to the Sonos system posted on this site your arguments are meaningless. I'm not saying they have to go into detail for every router out there, but a simple explanation would likely suffice for a great number of users.

Stating where a problem lies with no help offered other than having a kid down the street fix it is not only condescending, it's a cop out.

Not to rain on someone’s parade…but I guess I am.

Reference to Firewall’s specs set by Norton. Norton is a SOFTWARE running on a computer. All of the Norton settings made are resident to that one piece of hardware and affects only how it (the computer) will interact with traffic over one’s network.

Conversely, Sonos performance relative to Norton are only affected when using the Sonos App resident on that computer. If using the Sonos App on an iPhone or compatible tablet the settings made to the Norton software on the computer have no influence over how Sonos performs.

The only configuration that would globally affect Sonos performance (using a computer, iPhone or tablet) with respect to a firewall or port settings would be those made at the HARDWARE level or more specifically at the ROUTER.

I have an Asus AC5300 Router Tri-Band router and it’s locked down tighter than a melted engine block. I have no problems streaming on any of my Wi-Fi enabled devices. I also run BitDefender on my computers with Windows Defender adjusted down to a secondary periodic background scan. My point being that having an understanding of how Wi-Fi works (or router configuration) solves/prevents a multitude of issues. I might also add that I use a Boost Component (not a speaker) setup with my Sonos which is what I always recommend. Some will use a Sonos speaker to accomplish the Boost but I prefer the dedicated Boost component.

What I have been leading up to is….

This is a great forum to get help and learn about Sonos. However, a lot of the finger pointing at Sonos IMO is unwarranted. The majority of the issues by my observation always come back to two things:

Lack of user knowledge which is one reason why this forum exists (we all have learn); and the biggest one IMO_NETWORK issues.

Network issues are always going to be the prime suspect. However, blaming Sonos is not going to resolve the problem. Sonos cannot possibly in a million years anticipate the multiplicity of network setups that consumers will have in their homes. The UPnP (Universal Plug n’ Play) touted by manufacturers of networking equipment is the biggest misnomer since it was believed that the Sun revolved around the Earth. The Sonos speaker is a relatively simple setup it’s the networks that cause the issues.

To be fair I will allow that Sonos has made a few missteps with the Sonos App upgrades. People don’t like change…but guess what…change is inevitable. It’s the price we pay for improvements and progress.

Bottom-line…understanding networking is key. If you don’t understand it that’s OK…get help from a friend or the neighbors kid down the street. Remember, you can always call Sonos if you don’t mind the wait. Cheers!
http://www.tech-faq.com/ip-address-conflict.html

How do I find the ip address for my speakers? Once I find it (and assuming it's the same as another device) how do I change it?

I've noticed there is a lot of back and forth regarding this subject, but I've yet to find a single, helpful, post that describes the solution.

How do I resolve this issue?
I have to say this with no apologies. What an arrogant post. You assume everyone knows how to go into their router settings, know exactly where the problems are, and make changes to fix them. If it's so easy then post here the steps to make the required changes.

It should be no problem to do so since it's so simple.

You are so far out of touch with the reality of the average user it's ridiculous.

90% of all problems can be corrected by assigning fixed IP addresses to your network devices. IP addresses - problem for routers in the 90s and problem today. Sonos can't fix issues with routers assigning the same number twice.

I update my Sonos and other network devices consistently and have absolutely no troubles. No matter how many times people want to act like its a Sonos issue it almost always is not. Fix your router. Fix your IP addresses. Troubles gone.
Found the ip address. It's not the same as any other according to the list in the router. What good does this do me?

http://www.tech-faq.com/ip-address-conflict.html

How do I find the ip address for my speakers? Once I find it (and assuming it's the same as another device) how do I change it?

I've noticed there is a lot of back and forth regarding this subject, but I've yet to find a single, helpful, post that describes the solution.

How do I resolve this issue?
Good grief. Slow it down just a little and stop freaking berating the very people you are asking for help. For someone who says they are of average knowledge, you certainly seem to be an expert when it comes to telling people when they are wrong. So for once in this thread, drop the attitude and actually listen to the advice given!

Number one, looking at your router to detect IP conflicts is useless. Your router is the reason for the conflicts, if it could detect them, you wouldn't have the problem in the first place.

Number two, to clear the IP conflicts you have to do the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next.

Number three, you can permanently prevent duplicate IP addresses by assigning an IP to each device's MAC address in the router setup. See your router manual for details. Every router is different, so you complaining about the fact that no one can give you instructions is pretty silly. I'm afraid you are going to have to put an actual effort into something besides posting useless rants and insulting people here.

And lastly, saying you aren't going to call Sonos because they can't anticipate what is wrong with every setup is like not taking your car to a mechanic because they don't know what is wrong with it before they look at it. It is an absurd statement, defying all logic. Just because Sonos can't prevent all problems from happening doesn't mean they cannot solve specific problems after they happen.
Thank you for making my point. Through all of this I've been told to look at the router to fix the problem. Now I'm told not to. How do you expect me to react? The point I've trying to make is that the "help" I've been getting from some posters simply isn't a help. All it does is confuse me because there is never an explanation of how to do what they recommend.

And thank you for finally giving actual instructions regarding how to clear the conflicts. It's a shame I had to dish out a load of garbage to get a decent answer. You are now my number one favorite poster.

Again, thank you.

BTW, I will keep the attitude as long as know-it-alls post vague information with no explanation of how to do what is simple for them. Someone needs to call them to task, and if it's me, then so be it. No help is better than confusing and incomplete help.

Good grief. Slow it down just a little and stop freaking berating the very people you are asking for help. For someone who says they are of average knowledge, you certainly seem to be an expert when it comes to telling people when they are wrong. So for once in this thread, drop the attitude and actually listen to the advice given!

Number one, looking at your router to detect IP conflicts is useless. Your router is the reason for the conflicts, if it could detect them, you wouldn't have the problem in the first place.

Number two, to clear the IP conflicts you have to do the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next

Number three, you can permanently prevent duplicate IP addresses by assigning an IP to each device's MAC address in the router setup. See your router manual for details. Every router is different, so you complaining about the fact that no one can give you instructions is pretty silly. I'm afraid you are going to have to put an actual effort into something besides posting useless rants and insulting people here.

And lastly, saying you aren't going to call Sonos because they can't anticipate what is wrong with every setup is like not taking your car to a mechanic because they don't know what is wrong with it before they look at it. It is an absurd statement, defying all logic. Just because Sonos can't prevent all problems from happening doesn't mean they cannot solve specific problems after they happen.
I finally got things working. I reset both speakers to factory (Hold the button, plug it in, wait for the red/green flashing light). Reinstalled from square one for everything.

Another is that I found a post in the middle of all my research (not sure where it was) stating that Amazon (who's online help sucks - and not just for Sonos and Alexa) and that post stated that Amazon was having problems with tokens (I think that's the term they used) not holding. And that was causing the loss of continued playing of music. So I decided to just wait since I still had plenty of time to return the equipment.

As of a few weeks ago everything is working. I didn't want to come here and announce this since someone gets antsy about marking a post as "Answered" when it's not.

So yes, everything is working. Listening to a football game is as awesome as listening to music.
Because of copyrights and subscriptions etc you need to link an account otherwise it will play songs from your library or public domain type music. I suggest amazon prime music if your a prime member. Go into Alexa app and link it and you will get a lot more than 2 songs.
Just tried to reproduce this problem but could not:

I asked Alexa for 60s music and listened to 4 songs before telling her to stop.

I asked Alexa to play songs by Cream and listened to 4 songs before telling her to stop.

I do not subscribe to any special streaming services beyond what is offered by Amazon.

I am testing using straight "Alexa" in the form of a $149.99 Echo Show from Amazon. Is this problem really meant to call out Alexa? Or is it something specific to a Sonos One speaker even though that is never mentioned in the original post?
Linked to Amazon Music. Haven't added others because I figure if this one doesn't work others likely won't. I've been through a bunch of "fixes" mentioned in various places most of which have me delete then reconnect the Sonos speakers. 2 Sonos ones. I don't know who to call out. Is this behavior a result of Alexa programming or Sonos programming? Does anyone know?
Based on the original premise: "An expensive Alexa problem" I did my test using the most expensive "Alexa" product Amazon offers and I could not duplicate it. This would suggest you are having a problem with your Sonos speakers or the beta Sonos skill so now you know you only have to chase Sonos for the solution. A call to Sonos tech support is probably going to be the quickest way to move this forward.
Just asked Alexa to play 60s music, first on Echo and then on Sonos. Both played 4 songs before telling her to stop.

Just asked Alexa to play songs by Cream, first on Echo and then on Sonos. Both played 4 songs before telling her to stop.

Both played from Amazon Music.

Whatever the OP is experiencing, it is not endemic of either Alexa or Sonos.

And people . . . that is how you do a diagnosis. :8
My Sonos plays 60's music when I ask it to.

My Sonos plays Cream when I ask it to.

Since mine works perfectly everyone ele's does as well.

And people . . . that is how you recognize a troll.
The commands can take some getting used to, but once you're familiar with them, you'll certainly find Alexa more impressive and useful. If you're a Spotify user, you'll find this to be a helpful resource: https://alexa.bio/guide/the-spotify-users-guide-to-alexa/
Sunday we had it working. That after having the Playbar stop every 20 minutes or so, then work after unplugging and re-plugging. After the fifth or sixth time it settled down. So we had the Playbar and both speakers working.

Monday no Play One speakers. I've gone through countless "fixes" found here and elsewhere. Quite often get an error connecting the right speaker. Finally got it connected (or so it said) today, but only one speaker is showing up when I try to add Alexa. Alexa "Does not understand...". The Playbar is the only thing working.

Called the 800 number. Wait time is over 1/2 hour. Apparently I'm not the only one with problems. At this point I'm not going to waste 30 plus minutes waiting. I have about 15 days left to find the fix before this all gets returned. No system should be this difficult to troubleshoot.
My Sonos plays 60's music when I ask it to.

My Sonos plays Cream when I ask it to.

Since mine works perfectly everyone ele's does as well..

Didn't say that. I simply was correcting the poster who stated that because he was able to play these things on his Echo, it must be Sonos at fault. Your problem is most probably a configuration problem with either Alexa or Sonos, such as 2 or more Alexa devices with the same name, or maybe a networking problem. But it most certainly is not endemic to Sonos as claimed by the other poster.

Since the problem is not endemic, these are things that may be easily fixed. To start, I would duplicate the problem, then submit a diagnostic from the Sonos app and post your reference number here. That will allow a Sonos tech to see what is wrong.

Sorry about the misunderstanding. I was more than a little stressed. Hell, I still am.

Since the problem is not endemic, these are things that may be easily fixed. To start, I would duplicate the problem, then submit a diagnostic from the Sonos app and post your reference number here. That will allow a Sonos tech to see what is wrong.

Thanks. Reference #8311033.
Alexa? Who cares at this point? I can't even get both speakers to work. you would not believe the crap I've been through today following leads all over the Internet. Reconnecting a speaker to the router with a cable, disabling everything I can find that I'm supposed to in order to set up a reconnect, getting instructions that are only a couple of months old that apparently don't jive with what I have, (Nowhere can I find a place to remove voice recognition) finally getting them to work after the connection using a cable to the router only to have them fail within five minutes.

Oh, and i got a message on the PC app telling me that my firewall has to be reconfigured, a button to click to do so, and the app crashing in the middle of it. Apparently the Sonos programmers aren't any more competent than the Sonos engineers.

Right back to square one.

Oh, and the wait time for phone help is over an hour.

Sonos, you are a crap company with crap products, and not enough tech support to handle the avalanche of problems caused by your crap products.

And no response to my diagnostics input. Which does not surprise me at all.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Being your having multiple issues you really should just call the support line and wait. Hopefully now that holidays over it has settled down.
Uh, as I just stated the wait time is over one hour.
Badge
Sounds like somebody is experiencing the common playback problem......SONOS, the Saab of the speaker world.
LOL! I had a '79 Saab. You are correct.:D
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have no playback problems - a lot of new users needing help getting system going as many people have various issues when it comes to their home networks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Do you have any issues playing music with Sonos controller or are all your issues Alexa related (which is beta).
Amazon will replace all the parts. That just might be the best solution.